Kipper2K IDE/Fastram adapter & A2000

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I am on order (on the list) for one of Kipper2K's IDE/Fastram adapters which I was originally intending to use on my A500+.

I've had a change of mind and now I intend to use it in my A2000.

I know from his page that it works in the A2000 but I was wondering if anybody has installed one in an A2000 and has pictures / guide on how to do this ?

My A2000 is a Rev4.4 with all the onboard RAM set as chipram (1MB) and will soon be adding an A2630 (with 4mb) and an A2058 (with 8mb) .

Well you are going to struggle with those two addons..never mind adding kippers board.
Both those commodore boards (and kippers) use the zorro autoconfig 8MB space..
And 8MB is your max....

If you didnt have the A2058 I would say configure kippers board for 4MB and use it together with the A2630

TC :)

Well you are going to struggle with those two addons..never mind adding kippers board.
Both those commodore boards (and kippers) use the zorro autoconfig 8MB space..
And 8MB is your max....

If you didnt have the A2058 I would say configure kippers board for 4MB and use it together with the A2630

TC :)

Oh... This is going to be a problem. I already paid for the A2630 and A2058.

Will these not work together ? (leaving aside Kipper's board for now)

Your A2630 is 4MB. If you set the A2058 down to 4MB using the jumpers, you should be safe.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2058

I have a hunch that the Kipper board will not play nice with A2630, but maybe someone can confirm?

Last edited:
@thread

with the RAM disabled, the K508+IDE adaptor should provide IDE assuming that you are using either KS3.1 or a scsi.device modified earlier Kickstart ROM - additionally you will need to source a couple of signals from Paula and Gary as opposed to the CPU Accelerator slot.

To disable the RAM, I believe that there is a jumper, but in the worse case one could easily remove the socketed IC =)

Personally I would look at off-loading the A2058 in favour for 4MB with Kippers K508+IDE as this will save you a Zorro 2 slot.

A point to mention is that all Zorro 2 Memory (A2058 and K508+IDE) is 16bit data where as the 4MB on board the A2630 is 32bit data but configured (and reserved) in 24bit addressing space.

You may experience some conflict issues but they should be solvable with a software work around or two.

Last edited:
A2630 and A2058 work together, each with 4 mb! But then the Zorro II address space is full, so no RTG Card can be added!

A2630 and A2058 work together, each with 4 mb! But then the Zorro II address space is full, so no RTG Card can be added!

Damn i forgot all this stuff after I sold all the upgrades on my A2000.

I remember the GVP '040 i had addressed the RAM in 32bit space. I know this because it had 16mb ram + there was the 2MB Picasso II

The Picasso II can be put in segmented mode (does slow operation down a bit) this means it doesn't reserve 2MB from the 24bit addressing pool. Non segmented mode is obviously faster but will eat 2MB of ram from your 24bit address pool of 8(ish)MB

On my A2000 I have a GVP 040 with 16MB, Picasso II+ (thanks Keropi-san) and with a bit of luck eventually a 4MB K508 with IDE on the CPU (hopefully it fits with the Mega CHIP installed)

Puh, segmented mode? So Picasso96 will not work, I think not a good idea!

Normally I would humbly agree with you, but if in a bind for 24bit memory - I believe both CyberGraphiX(v4) and EGS supports some segmented modes.

Last edited:
Nah, i'd rather work with non-segmented mode and sacrifice 2mb ram.

If I remembered about this problem I would have avoided getting the A2630 and gone for a GVP or similar accelerator which uses the 32bit address space.

I had the same Problems years ago...

I bought another 030er accelerator with real 32bit Fastmem...

I had the same Problems years ago...

I bought another 030er accelerator with real 32bit Fastmem...

For now its enough. Eventually if i come across a good deal i will upgrade it but at lease with the A2630 its much better than if it was stock.

I still use the A2000 keyboard i had bought from you on it (y)

Yes, I remember!

I hope you will use it a lot when your A2630 has arrived!

I like A2000s!!

Kipper2K IDE/Fastram adapter & A2000

Yes, I remember!

I hope you will use it a lot when your A2630 has arrived!

I like A2000s!!

I know you do. Especially ones with commodore cards. I'll trade you the A2630 for your Blizzard 2060 if you like :p (joking)

Last edited:
Sorry mate, nice offer! :LOL:

But I already have an A2630 with DKB 2632... ;)

Will Kippers board work in the 2000 though if there is a accelerator with 32 bit memory in the cpu slot? It obviously disables the 68000 so will it disable the ram/ide board too?

@ptyerman

With the addition of a Accelerator card in the CPU Accelerator slot, it negotiates (handshakes) the onboard 68000 into a Halt/RST state so that the 68k moto doesn't process data on the bus.

The address and data bus are present from all points i.e. Zorro2 slot / CPU Accelerator slot and CPU slot.

This means that memory either presented on the CPU / Accelerator Port or Zorro2 slot are transparent and the only issue will be is if there is an AutoConfig conflict.

Pending one where the K508 is asserting its memory it may conflict with another card that is asserting memory in that space - like an A2058 or the A2630. The IDE on the other hand uses a very small Zorro entry vector that is used by all Zorro auto configurable cards.

The real work is done with the scsi.device in the ROM

So as long as no other adaptor is trying to use the same Memory Space to setup / auto configure RAM it should work without issue.

Last edited:
That's good to know, I asked this question in a couple of threads but got no answer as no-one seemed to know. I have a GVP 040 combo in my 2000 so I may get one of Kippers boards and try it out now. The only problem that remains now is where to connect the 2 signal wires, I will have to look around the board. (y)

A while back Kipper and I spent some email time together (it was wonderful ;))

here is a bit of discussion we had about the A2000 and his K508+IDE implementation

Zetr0 said:
On the A2000 signals /INT2 and /OVR may prove a little tricky, however can be sought from various places on the motherboard

_INT2

[ U102 ] Pin 21 - ( 8520 CIA )
[ U200 ] Pin 16 - ( Paula )
[ U300 ] Pin 21 - ( 8520 CIA )

[ CN600 ] pin 19 - (CPU EXPANSION PORT)

[ CN601 ] pin 19 - (Zorro Bus)
[ CN602 ] pin 19
[ CN603 ] pin 19
[ CN604 ] pin 19
[ CN605 ] pin 19

[ CN304 ] pin 10 - ( Internal Serial )

_OVR

[ U102 ] pin 29 - ( GARY )
[ U800 ] pin 40 - ( Buster )

[ CN600 ] pin 17 - (CPU EXPANSION PORT)

[ CN601 ] pin 17 - (Zorro Bus)
[ CN602 ] pin 17
[ CN603 ] pin 17
[ CN604 ] pin 17
[ CN605 ] pin 17

If there is no obvious terminals to patch from CN600 ( CPU expansion port), then I would humbly suggest sourcing these signals from -

Gary ( _OVR ) [ pin 29 ]
Paula ( _INT2 ) [ pin 16 ]

These two signal sources are the next physical closest. to the adaptor.

Kipp's is a wonderful fellow - my hope is he forgives me for not getting off my but and sending him that care package I keep promising him!

Back
Top Bottom