CF card as slave on Tandem IDE card problem

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
The main hard drive (MASTER) works fine.

The 1GB CF/IDE on slave gets found OK on HDINSTTools and I can partition it and format OK without problems.

Then I switch off the A2000, take out the CF and load it in WinUAE, and it is seen exactly how I did it on the A2000 with names, partitions and all fine.

I copy stuff to it and put it back in the Amiga.

Load up WB3.1 (using a bootdisk as Tandem is non autoboot)

I cannot see the CF drive on the workbench unless i go back in hdinsttools which sees the drive and the partitions but i have to reformat them again using same hdinsttools for it to be seen on the desktop and be usable on the A2000 again. Of course i lose all the stuff i copied to the partitions which defies the whole point.

I dont know what im doing wrong.

Have you tried copying a few files to it on your Amiga and then rebooting to see if it still sees it?

What ID have you given the cf partions ? i.e. DH4, DH5 ect, just incase there are conflicts with the master harddrive and are you hitting the 4gb barrier?

Last edited:
Try the original HDToolBox. With HDInstTools I had also problems in the past, it's not so reliable.

Try the original HDToolBox. With HDInstTools I had also problems in the past, it's not so reliable.

HDToolbox can see the drives and I can modify them etc.. but when I save changes and quit I still cannot see them on the desktop.

HDINSTTools lets me format them after partitioning/renaming etc (HDtoolbox doesnt have that option) which seems to be the only way I can see them on desktop

Last edited:
What happens if you use HDToolBox in WinUAE to create the partitions and format, can you then see them on the Amiga side?

Last edited:
What happens if you use HDToolBox in WinUAE to create the partitions, can you then see them on the Amiga side?

I dont know. I can try.. Give us a sec

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

What happens if you use HDToolBox in WinUAE to create the partitions and format, can you then see them on the Amiga side?

No... I put it in WinUAE and deleted one partition and extended the other to have 1GB total instead of split (making sure i destroy both partitions).

I formatted it and copied stuff over to it.

Took it out of Winuae and put back in A2000

Loaded up system and it doesnt show up in desktop

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

I went into HDInsttools and checked. It shows up with the way i partitioned it and even the device name i gave it (CFHD0) in WinUAE.

But unless i format it, it will not show on desktop (on real Amiga)

Have you used the right device in HDInstall?

oktagon.device for IDE devices and tandemat.device for ATAPI devices

Have you used the right device in HDInstall?

oktagon.device for IDE devices and tandemat.device for ATAPI devices

I am using AT (from the install disk) which is copied in Expansion in both my boot disk and also the MASTER hard drive.

If I go in SYSInfo and check the drives it reports Device name (for my MASTER AND the CF/IDE card) as oktagon.device

I guess if there was a problem there it wouldnt even work the master hd

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Bottom line so far is that HDINSTOOLS or HDTOOLBOX both detect the CF perfectly and allow me to partition etc... After format (using hdinsttools) it is seen on desktop working perfect.

As soon as i reboot it is gone and needs that process again INCLUDING the formating for it to be usable and seen on desktop

Last edited:
How big is the master hd ? cos a lot of older IDE devices only have small storage limits.
had that prob on my cdtv scsi ,it can only see 1gb any bigger its no show on the desktop

How big is the master hd ? cos a lot of older IDE devices only have small storage limits.
had that prob on my cdtv scsi ,it can only see 1gb any bigger its no show on the desktop

20GB... But I have 3 partitions:

156MB Workbench
308MB Work
455MB Games

The rest is unused

My guess is the partitions are not mounting on the reboot, maybe someone knows how to manually mount them? Or add something to the SS to do it?

all your parts add up to just below 1 gb
I reckon you have the same prob as me your device maxes out at 1gb so nothing will show above that

all your parts add up to just below 1 gb
I reckon you have the same prob as me your device maxes out at 1gb so nothing will show above that

But i tried partitioning the CF to 495mb and 495mb but it still does the same thing.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

It seems that to mount it I have to format in HDINSTTOOLS.

There must be another way as Steve said. Question is how ?

Which file system are you saving to the card?

Have you got Automount turned on?

No I dont think so your hardware has limits set in the 90s, a big HD drive was in 100s of MBs for us Amiga users and the hardware reflects this, I was partitioning a 4 gb cf on my scsi/IDE set up on my cdtv, and like you only the first 1gb partition showed up so I live with two 500mb parts on it now ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom