ZX Spectrum +2 Megadrive Joystick hack.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
One member asked how I was able to use Megadrive controllers with my +2.
It's very simple actually, you'll need a couple of 9 pin sockets, and some wire or ribbon cable.
Simply remove the motherboard from the system, flip it over and solder the wires to the underside. Route them to wherever your sockets are, and connect them up according to the wiring diagram below.
It's as simple as that.
Obviously, if you're using the Atari sockets, you will be unable to use the SJS sockets simultaneously.
Being able to use the entire range of Atari standard controllers makes a big difference!
Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• +2 SJS to Atari wiring diagram.jpg
    +2 SJS to Atari wiring diagram.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Joystick hack (1).jpg
    Joystick hack (1).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Joystick hack (2).jpg
    Joystick hack (2).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Joystick hack (3).jpg
    Joystick hack (3).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3
I remember this old one my friend, I remember the little rush on for Retro Reunited in 'uddersfield!

And I remember John Ritman playing on your specky!

Excellent mate, thanks for posting this up. Do you need any particular gauge of wire? Also are Amiga pads compatible through these ports?

great stuff mate.:)

but im left wondering,why didnt you just make extension cables to plug into the ports?would that of been simpler.

As Zeets said, this was just a quick hack before the very first outing of an Amibay machine at Retro Reunited in Huddersfield.
Keith had a flash of inspiration before we went, and with trusty dremel and soldering iron, whipped this up.

@DojoDan
The gauge of the wire can be quite fine, there's no high voltage being carried here, it's signal only. We used some spare IDE ribbon cable I think.
It is only 5 welds, so you have the directions and fire and that's it. A CD32 pad would work, but you'll only have one fire button.

That's awesome :) if I only had guts to do the same to one of mine. I just can't cut the case... Remorse...:D

great stuff mate.:)

but im left wondering,why didnt you just make extension cables to plug into the ports?would that of been simpler.

As Zeets said, this was just a quick hack before the very first outing of an Amibay machine at Retro Reunited in Huddersfield.
Keith had a flash of inspiration before we went, and with trusty dremel and soldering iron, whipped this up.

It was quite funny as I remember, our dear r0jaws asked, do you have any SJS joystick.... I said sure.... I have a couple.... but you wont like 'em

After handing the SJS joysticks over, there was a loud exclamation referencing them to something found in a manure pile - perhaps a tad more colourful words were used and I was informed that they spongey nature was as soft as shii .... but thats about the jist of it ;)

Since I had a clean work table at the time, I suggested we could make Atari Joystick compatible ports on the right side of the machine and within 25 minutes of shared work later the above construction was complete!

Fortunately - unlike some other "shared" projects there was no ritual blood sacrifices required ;)

That's awesome :) if I only had guts to do the same to one of mine. I just can't cut the case... Remorse...:D

In the UK the Amstrad (Grey) 128K +2 Spectrum has an over population problem and I doubt one would have to go far to trip over one in the street. ;)

Sadly this does make us appreciate the machines less than others.

Me on the other hand will pretty much hack into computer / console...... yes.... anything.... except maybe a Korg Trinity Keyboard..... (one day.... one day!)

yeah,i never really liked the leaf spring joysticks of by gone years...:LOL:
i have had a few not so choice words with sellers as they were everywhere and cheap as chips and on every platform available at the time.
if i said they were crap,it would be praise :LOL:
and i do remember braking one in less than 2 minutes,no,im not joking they are really that bad.

then strange thing was,the microswitched joysticks were not that much more.but they were alot better.

Back
Top Bottom