Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi Amibayers,

I thought it was worth mentioning that members may need to be more patient than usual regarding parcels that are being sent by air mail, either from Europe or from the UK. Currently flights are restarting with some disruptions but there is going to be a HUGE backlog of parcels and mail that is currently being held at freight hubs, awaiting shipment.

I know that DHL and UPS are reporting very limited information on shipments being held due to the events, however, they currently are not reporting much on tracking, which isn't too surprising really.

Flights have restarted, however this may change depending on how the volcanic eruption behaves in the coming days.

Until flights resume to normal operations, there will be some serious delays in members receiving their goods. All that can be suggested at this time is that tracking numbers are supplied for parcels and that the person waiting for the parcel is patient and checks with the shipper as to the status of the shipment.

Thanks all

Merlin

Edit: added a map showing the scale of the problem....:wooha:

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
I had no idea, that this volcano thing was so serious.... :blink:

Our jolly nice chappie, Brylcreem-wallah, RAF ground controller member r0jaws thought you may like a link to the UK NATS air traffic control site.

>>link<<

This is what r0jaws had to say about it.

This contains the accurate updates from the Air Traffic Governing body, and will show what the current state of play is for anyone concerned.
Northern Scottish airports are seeing restrictions eased at this time, with North East England following shortly.

The Ash cloud over the Atlantic is currently following the East West Jetstream, that the majority of carriers utilise going from Europe to the US. the Jetstream is also very high level, and the Ash is firmly embedded in that.

This could end up affecting transatlantic services for a while.

For those who want to know what this can do to a 747, type in "All Engines Failed" into Youtube and see what happened to BA Flight 009 to Perth back in 1982. This was the incident that set the rules for flying through volcanic ash. Would you have wanted to be on that 747...???

@ Zetr0

Get a load of the pictures here for how bad it's getting on the ground....:wooha:

>>link<<

Lightning in a volcano......:wooha: Nature can be awesome at times....

Attachments

• Volcano.jpg
    Volcano.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
Moar Pictures.... absolutely unbelievable......:eek::wooha:

Attachments

• volcano2.jpg
    volcano2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • volcano3.jpg
    volcano3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Volcano4.jpg
    Volcano4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
You would need some huge marshmallows!

They were showing live pictures of it on Sky news the other day and the lightning looked great.

:cool:

I wonder if my wife would consider a change of holiday plans...
...always wanted to go volcano watching.

Ooo, yes. Time for your friendly neighbourhood harbinger of doom to make a couple of happy comments:

-Throughout known geological history this volcano has on average erupted for two years.
-The one next-door has always gone up within 18/12 of the current culprit.
(Oh, yes - it's five times the size and might erupt for ten years!)

Happy days!

P.S.
What's the betting health 'n safety will (eventually) get bored grounding planes?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom