Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Sup peeps,

I was wondering, anyone who has the new X-Surf, what do you think of it?

I just sold my Deneb (needed the cash :() so now have no way to get online with my A4000, I might stick a CF adapter off the IDE at the back or front of the A4000 just to transfer files and hook up the DVDRom.

So thinking about Internet/Networking I was looking at the new X-Surf maybe in a few months when I have some spare funds, but keen to know people views on it, does it work well with Roadshow?

And any news on the USB attachment for it? I would probably go for that too if it's released as I'm sure I will miss the convenience of USB. I'm guessing Jens has a lot of projects right now to look after so maybe we have some time to wait?

Thanks in advance guys!

Steve.

Feedback

Feedback

Sup...

Overall it is a killer card. Performance is tied directly to the CPU, IE want more speed get a faster CPU.

I have it in my 3k with a CSMKIII @50MHz and she flies (over 2 MByte/s). Connects at 100Mbit on my Gbit backbone...

I tested Miami, Roadshow, and Easynet. I went with Roadshow because it was easier to setup and gave less issues than Easynet. Speed was back and forth for Roadshow and Easynet. Roadshow works perfect and is the fastest.

The USB does nothing at this point, can't even charge a device on it.)

Pros:
- Fast!
- Fills a zorro slot as every good Amiga add on device should:).
- 100MB connection.
- Support the Amiga Hardware market.
- Future USB.

Negs:
- Super low design - Yes it has an eye hole for seating but you will have to take out other cards to seat or remove it. This is stupid really, make it full height and be done with it.
- Doesn't connect at a Gigabit:) (even though speed couldn't be realized.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the mini review I think I'm sold, well once I get my finances back on track! :LOL:

Hmmm, just added that to the Amiga wishlist :D

With 72MHz I would love to see the speed! Wonder how close you will be to 3 MByte/s you will be.

You will see about twice the transfer speed of your current X-surf depending on what TCP/IP stack you are using...

With 72MHz I would love to see the speed! Wonder how close you will be to 3 MByte/s you will be.

You will see about twice the transfer speed of your current X-surf depending on what TCP/IP stack you are using...

I am using EasyNet, but also have Miami installed. When I get one, I'll post the speeds I get. Yeah, the current card is a bit slow, but still, it's great to have the Amiga on the internet.

I think I shouldn't have bought that second regular X-Surf the week before Jens announced the X-Surf 100. :LOL:

I've been delighted with the two X-Surfs I currently have, they're great pieces of kit. And whilst I have no experience of the 100, I'm sure it'll be an equally neat piece of hardware.

If the USB part of it is ever realised, I'll probably upgrade one of my existing X-Surfs.

(y)

I am using EasyNet, but also have Miami installed. When I get one, I'll post the speeds I get. Yeah, the current card is a bit slow, but still, it's great to have the Amiga on the intern

I recommend Miami and the mni drivers. It should be faster in your setup.

The card is running in my A4000 + OS4.1upd6, just copied the *.device to a drawer, connected to an 8-ports-gigabit switch and it works just fine ! Last heard was that Jens send USB-hardware to driver-developer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all, sounds like a nice piece of hardware, I shall add it to my wish list when funds allow :)

The card is running in my A4000 + OS4.1upd6, just copied the *.device to a drawer, connected to an 8-ports-gigabit switch and it works just fine ! Last heard was that Jens send USB-hardware to driver-developer.

Which device did you use? the 020 version freezes os4.1 here after a few seconds (random)

Back
Top Bottom