Arrghhh unlucky again lol

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I stumble upon a nice A500+ over on Ebay. The seller comes accross as a bit more than the usual trader or "Cannot test item" lark.

A nice machine that had an "Offer" Option so I thought why not, offered a good amount not being cheeky etc.

So anyway I managed to aquire a nice a500+ case from him at the same time.

Both bits arrived a few days back but I have only just had the chance to really look them over. The A500+ was sold as having a non-leaky battery the only reason I jumped on it! So anyway I check it just now and both mouse/joystick ports have damaged pins :picard

One looks like it could be saved, the other... well the pin is broke!

I just want a good tidy amiga 500.. why is this so hard?

Can I replace these ports? I am quite ok with soldering but... is it better to get one of the techy bods on here to do it?

Or do I loose out and just send it back. Arghhh when will things go right?

EDIT: Ok I am not a happy bunny here! Looking at this ebay auction the pictures show it in perfect condition, even the ports! It looks like I have a different board here... hmmm.
I have opened a case via ebay... but this is getting really annoying now!

Last edited:
dont bother mate,just replace the ports.

if you dont want to do it send me a pm,or send me a pm and i'll send the ports for postage.

does the machine work other than that? if you straighten the pins,remember power goes through them.

Last edited:
I think I wouldn't bother buying an Amiga 500+ unless I was stood there watching the damn thing work.

I've been stung many times with dodgy eBay computing gear :dry:

Fortunately dodgy joystick ports are easy to replace and much preferable than trying to undo battery damage!

I am actually angry now!

Checking what he has put picture wise, what I have here does not fully match!

The top is different, the keys are more yellowed than stated. I will probably nuke in a minute... If I find the battery all furry and has leaked everywhere :censored:

Btw anyone know this username on this forum: TowerCritical. I cannot find it for some reason?

Last edited:
Ok I quickly lifted the lid!

Have not removed the shielding but shone a torch in where I could and the battery looks mega clean, as does the board. There is a mild sign of leakage only visible on the solder spots. It is alot better than other A500+ board I bought as faulty from elsewhere. That one was quite nasty but the board works.

If the ports were good on this new board it would be great! I really do not trust myself trying to replace those ports... I can get the battery out! its only 3 solder spots. But the ports are a different game and I would probably damage the tracks :(

Last edited:
Ok I quickly lifted the lid!

Have not removed the shielding but shone a torch in where I could and the battery looks mega clean, as does the board. There is a mild sign of leakage only visible on the solder spots. It is alot better than other A500+ board I bought as faulty from elsewhere. That one was quite nasty but the board works.

If the ports were good on this new board it would be great! I really do not trust myself trying to replace those ports... I can get the battery out! its only 3 solder spots. But the ports are a different game and I would probably damage the tracks :(

mate, check post 2

just power it up and see if it works first....

calm down and take a breather.

I shall if I can today. We work odd hours sometimes!

Getting sick of ebay now. I really thought this seller would be different but alas it seems not :(

Edit: Just grabbed 5minutes. Did a very basic test and the board appears to work! I do need to do a proper test.
The seller is being very good about this, sorting an arrangement out. The joystick ports both have the same pin damaged! It looks like the old classic dodgy mouse or joystick rammed in and no care was taken. Even if I could sort this the pins will never be right. It has to be fixed with new ports. Oh I wish that I bought that flaming solder Vacuum machine last year lol.

Roy I like the idea of taking you up on the offer of the ports but.... I am paranoid about damaging the tracks. I think it is time to sweet talk my wife into allowing the purchase of the solder station kit. I cannot let these things win all the time! Or I could send this board out for repair? would that be possible?

Last edited:
I think you may be seeing things worse than they are. For starters an A500+ with no battery damage is starting to get pretty rare. So the fact that yours is in a good state is a great plus.

The ports as said by others here are cheap and pretty easy to replace. If you are not confident doing it yourself get a friend to replace them. Even a TV repair man (do they still exist ?) can do it.

If it makes you feel any better you may or may not know that the A500+ has one big advantage over the A500, that you can upgrade it to 2MB Chipram easily and relatively cheap. No modding required and no expensive megi/mega chips required, just an A500+ 1MB trapdoor ram expansion :)

mate you can send me the board and i'll sort it out.

you do realize this is the third time now ive offered to do this for you in one thread.:LOL:

its up to you mate,i wont hurt it...

Last edited:
mate you can send me the board and i'll sort it out.

you do realize this is the third time now ive offered to do this for you in one thread.:LOL:

its up to you mate,i wont hurt it...

I know m8 :picard

I apologise. I do have a tendency to get stuck and not move when things need sorting.

Im trying to resolve this with the seller. I shall be back asap! Did we chat about recapping a600/a1200 boards back along? I need to get things sorted out and stop dithering.

EDIT: If you can give me a rough idea on the cost I can then sort a box out and get it sent.

Last edited:
no mate you didnt,there are a few people on here doing recaps.
i dont really want to be doing that.sorry.

EDIT: i'll sort it out for postage,its easy for me...or a fiver its up to you.

Last edited:
I think you may be seeing things worse than they are. For starters an A500+ with no battery damage is starting to get pretty rare. So the fact that yours is in a good state is a great plus.

The ports as said by others here are cheap and pretty easy to replace. If you are not confident doing it yourself get a friend to replace them. Even a TV repair man (do they still exist ?) can do it.

If it makes you feel any better you may or may not know that the A500+ has one big advantage over the A500, that you can upgrade it to 2MB Chipram easily and relatively cheap. No modding required and no expensive megi/mega chips required, just an A500+ 1MB trapdoor ram expansion :)

Is some ways I agree but if you saw the ebay auction, you would ask why I did not get the actual amiga listed! Everything about it says things were perfect and tested. I got angry because things were not quite the same. I am proper gutted the board has damaged ports! Seeing a clean A500+ with no battery damage is indeed a rare sight. Maybe one day I will finally reach my goal of a good set of amigas that have zero defects.

Oh talking about getting 2mb chip ram... I have an expansion here that I bought, sold as a 1mb upgrade but in fact turns out to be a 4mb job! No tested it as yet but I have confirmed it really is a 4mb! I am going to fire this baby up and see what happens :)

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

no mate you didnt,there are a few people on here doing recaps.
i dont really want to be doing that.sorry.

EDIT: i'll sort it out for postage,its easy for me...or a fiver its up to you.

Sure my friend no problems :D

I just need to find a good box and we can get things sorted!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom