NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
I'm not sure how much anyone'll care about this, as I know it's rather outside of the norm for the Photo Booth section, but here goes!

My other (almost always gaming-related) hobby is designing and making plushes. My main focus at the moment is British and European computer and video game characters who've either received no merchandising attention at all to date, or very little and certainly never any soft toys.

I've ended up making quite a lot of plushes of lemmings (most of whom are characters from a long-running series of Lemmings-based stories that I've been creating for my own entertainment over the last eighteen years), but this is my first attempt at one of the (very few) canonical Lemmings-series characters...

I present, Lomax, the lemming knight protagonist from the Lemmings-series spin-off platform game of the same name (Note: Not my video - just one I found on YouTube). Fans of the Sega Mega CD/Amiga CD32 title, The Misadventures of Flink may recognise this game's style, as Lomax was that title's spiritual-sequel.

He was almost entirely hand-sewn, both due to my sewing machine taking an extreme dislike to the project, and due to there being lots of fiddly details that couldn't have been machine-sewn anyway. (If anyone remembers my mildly-superstitious thread in AmiRant about days when technology hates you, wherein I mentioned my sewing machine freaking out, this is the project about which it was not happy.)

VZwzHeQ.jpg

He's based on the wonderful pixel-art of Henk Nieborg, who was both the artist and designer for the game. The box and manual images for the game are so far off from the in-game artwork that I didn't consider them to be valid reference sources.

oZhL39V.jpg

hBpyVTz.jpg

nys20sg.jpg

jX4olnh.jpg

Though his helmet is permanently attached, I took a couple of pictures to show how he looked without it, before it was added, too;

ZbvuTZG.jpg

rVaXueb.jpg

Now that he's finished, I have one hand covered with scratches, scrapes, and minor punctures, and another covered with thread-burns, complete with a thumbnail piercing created by accidentally running a needle and thread backwards through it with great force (luckily, I missed my skin by about a millimetre!). I need a few days off from this sewing lark...

Lomax has been my most complex project to date, and for a bit of a breather, my next couple of plushes probably won't be - I'm thinking I might create a plush of Dizzy, and then Billy Putty, next.

Anyway, yeah, that's my thing what I do outside of retro gaming and such. If you're at all interested in seeing more of my work, I have a website dedicated to it here.

I think these are brilliant. Do you make them for sale or just personal?

Wow, thanks. :D

I don't sell any right now, but I'm hoping to be able to start offering commissions at some point this year (which is a big reason why I want to grow my portfolio a bit beyond all the lemmings! :LOL: ).

Well my favourite games are Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Sonic the Hedgehog & Cannon Fodder if you need ideas :LOL:

I'll keep an eye on your blog for when you hopefully start making them for sale

Last edited:
Your Lomax looks amazing. I love that game, and I love your plushy. Very professional!

Last edited by a moderator:
That simply looks awesome (y)

I will have to show my wife when she gets home .. she's the crafty person :D

Brilliant, love it

Wow, thanks. :D

I don't sell any right now, but I'm hoping to be able to start offering commissions at some point this year (which is a big reason why I want to grow my portfolio a bit beyond all the lemmings! :LOL: ).

If and when you are ready I have some ideas and possible commisions "if" you are interested?

I'm a bit of a Chorlton & the Wheelies fan (in fact most things Cosgrove Hall) and would really like some Cholton inspired goodies.

that looks great,skilled hands you have there (y) " Lets Go ! " :LOL:

The wife just seen this walking past me in the kitchen.

"Woah!! thats cool I want it :), does he make them "

so there you go, you sold one already :D

wow,thats amazing.

i'll show debbie.

debbie says:its amazing you made these from scratch in your own time,a work of art.

Last edited:
Thankyou very very much for your kind words, everyone. It really is very much appreciated. :)

Well my favourite games are Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Sonic the Hedgehog & Cannon Fodder if you need ideas :laugh:
Funnily enough, I'd been vaguely considering an Alex Kidd plush for some point in the future, as I don't think he's ever been officially plushified. He happens to fall into my other current focus aside from British and European game characters - that being, game characters I grew up with and always wanted merchandise of, but for who no such things were ever produced. (My namesake is another one on my list, of course.)

I actually do own Cannon Fodder but haven't played it yet, so I never thought of that one at all!

As for Sonic, I actually specifically avoid series/characters that have wide ranges of official plushes, as I don't want to reinvent the wheel. :LOL:

If and when you are ready I have some ideas and possible commisions "if" you are interested?

I'm a bit of a Chorlton & the Wheelies fan (in fact most things Cosgrove Hall) and would really like some Cholton inspired goodies.
I'm not actually familiar with Chorlton and the Wheelies, but man, do I miss Cosgrove Hall! I was always rather fond of Avenger Penguins, myself, though it's nature of lampooning popular US-made cartoons of the time went right over my head as a kid. :LOL:

Anyway, when it comes to commissions, when I do get to taking them (I need to work on my patience a little, so that I can up my speed, first - Lomax took ages because I got a bit annoyed with the fiddly bits and then left them alone for a bit), I'll discuss the details with those doing the commissioning on a case-by-case basis then. :)

WOW you have some talent there.

Never played the game but that makes me want one and to play the game.

How about doing Zool ?

WOW you have some talent there.
Thanks. :D

Never played the game but that makes me want one and to play the game.
It's well worth the time - it's a proper tough-nut old-school platformer of the sort that was getting uncommon even by then. Some folks complain that it seems "unfinished" because they feel that it ends abruptly, but it seemed to me to be no different to C64 and Amiga platformers in that regard - it's just a game that was out of its own time, by then. If you ever played and liked The Misadventures of Flink, you'll definitely dig Lomax.

How about doing Zool ?
It's on the cards. ;) I've already made up a pattern for him.

I'm not actually familiar with Chorlton and the Wheelies, but man, do I miss Cosgrove Hall! I was always rather fond of Avenger Penguins, myself, though it's nature of lampooning popular US-made cartoons of the time went right over my head as a kid. :LOL:

Anyway, when it comes to commissions, when I do get to taking them (I need to work on my patience a little, so that I can up my speed, first - Lomax took ages because I got a bit annoyed with the fiddly bits and then left them alone for a bit), I'll discuss the details with those doing the commissioning on a case-by-case basis then. :)

Check it out it's bloody brilliant

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSyPiupmXw[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glA7C8AV1lY[/m]

If you decide to knock up a bub & bob from bubble bobble, you will have an instant sale right here. :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom