amiga HD CF card - will it also work in PCMCIA adaptor?

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
hi all

not to boot - altough that would be nice - can I access the files on a cf card that has been set up to plug into and ide adaptor via a PCMCIA adaptor?

thanks!

Yes it should but you might need to edit the CF0 file as possibly it points to FAT95 as the file system expected. But I'm sure someone who knows will be along, it probably wont be hot swappable like FAT tho, you might have to have it in at boot time.

Some cards (such as Kingston 4GB flower design card) work on the ide connector but do not work in the pcmcia slot. It's completely down to the card if it will work or not the only way to know for sure is to try it or find someone who has. Also I'm not sure if you can read Amiga formatted cards in the pcmcia slot as far as I know only fat95 file system works, (i'd like to be enlightened if that isn't the case).

Last edited:
It is possible --- I have just done it using X file sytem (xfsd)

(Quick)Grabs:
QuickGrab1_zps313aa629.gif~original

QuickGrab2_zps86c19dd9.gif~original

QuickGrab3_zpseb84a75c.gif~original

Changed the names and device IDs to avoid conflict
IE Maxell 1&2 and DH0&1 vs SYTEM (SDH0) + STUFF (SDH1)

Last edited:
As Acid said a few CF cards do not work with compactflash.device.
Otherwise it works, you just need to create an appropriate mountfile.
For amiga file systems you need to define the size of the card in the mountfile (FAT95 does this automagically.)
Use Giggledisk on aminet to create the mountfile.

(It would also be possible to start the boot process from floppy or hdd, load compactflash.device and then load the system from the PCMCIA)

Edit: Two days ago, a new version of compactflash.device was uploaded to aminet. Now it is rommable to allow booting with a custom kickstart ROM.

Last edited:
I remember my first A1200 back in 1993. She was joined a few months later with a 125MB Archos Overdrive pcmcia to IDE harddrive : http://www.bboah.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=59&id=2508&artlang=en&highlight=overdrive

I guess if it was relatively easy to boot from an IDE HD connected to the pcmcia slot, I don't expect to be too hard to do it with a CF/SD. Maybe you'd have to mess around a bit with the mountlist to convince compactflash.device and cf0 to work together.

Though one might point out that having your system partition accessible via the pcmcia connector is even slower than the internal PIO 0 IDE...
It certainly worked well for me on Workbench 3.0 and 8 colors Magic Workbench on my stock A1200.
But anything fancyer than that will feel kinda sluggish ;-)

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
As far as I understand the overdrive uses carddisk.device as its driver. It is bootable since carddisk.device is in the kickstart ROM.

Carddisk.device does not work with flash cards, this is why compactflash.device was created.

Edit: Two days ago a new version of compactflash.device was uploaded to aminet. Now it is rommable, to allow booting with a custom kickstart ROM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom