insane in the main frame Amibayer! quarkx's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Day 11
    Well, the nightmare of the keyboard is over. We can go back to the A3000 itself.
    I began the day, by scrubbing keys. Because of the delay of the long weekend, the keys had been sitting in Windex for over 3 days now, so they should be clean. I was worried about the metal springs though, and if they corroded or not. It's no big issue, I would have just used the rubber springs instead.

As soon as I finished up the good keyboard, I took the time to replace the old keys on the donor, as not to loose anything. Luck would have it 1 of each type of spring went missing, so I had to use just 1 rubber spring on the good keyboard, and the donor is missing 2. I have a bag full of those rubber springs somewhere, I am just too lazy to hunt them down for 2 springs.

You can see in the photos, the effort was well worth it. The only thing is I could have replaced ALL the keys, but then you wouldn't get the Franken effect. Besides, the shell still had brown spots on it.

I then began cleaning the outer shell with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. A good wipe down revealed a lifetime of dirt. It's not perfect, but it's 100 times better then it was before.

Last a quick assembly. I opted to put a normal size cable on it. As some of you know, changing a cable is child’s play as it just plugs into the keyboard and you have to screw a ground cable to the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day11-019.jpg   day11-017.jpg   day11-016.jpg   day11-012.jpg   day11-008.jpg  

day11-005.jpg   day11-004.jpg   day11-003.jpg   day11-002.jpg   day11-001.jpg  

My new blog at http://amigalounge.com is Amiga browsing friendly, stop on by for cool tech news with a geeky slant.Youtube video channel is Glenvdb1. My prices go UP once something is tested and verified working, your opportunity to save money on Untested "As is" merchandise. my things are now only posted for a week at a time,I am a Smoker

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Day 12

Not a good day personally, I got a sinus cold and on top of that I lost power! I won't go into it,
    But I am living without power for a few days. I did this update using my netbook and my wireless
    internet stick. I had to crop and reduce the photo sizes in Picasa so, they might not be as good
    as usual.

For the first time today, I grabbed the lid, and really took a good look at it. You can see in the photos
    that its a bit yellowed and dirty.
    I took it all apart and scrubbed it down, First,with the Mr.clean Magic eraser, then soaked it all with
    Windex.
    Not much more to show.I did scrub down the small bit of dust on the lid, both inside and out, but I wasn't
    going to waist time with those pictures.
    Of course, I re-assembled it when I was done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day12-017.jpg   day12-013.jpg   day12-010.jpg   day12-009.jpg   day12-004.jpg  

day12-003.jpg   day12-002.jpg   day12- 001.jpg  
    My new blog at http://amigalounge.com is Amiga browsing friendly, stop on by for cool tech news with a geeky slant.Youtube video channel is Glenvdb1. My prices go UP once something is tested and verified working, your opportunity to save money on Untested "As is" merchandise. my things are now only posted for a week at a time,I am a Smoker

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

more photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day12-008.jpg   day12-019.jpg   day12-018.jpg  

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Hello,

to remove the "yellow" and to have an uniform tint like the original, you need to put the plastic cover, with a film of H2O2, under the sun...and wait. That's all!

Regards
    Stefano
    Last edited by vibros; 27th April 2014 at 21:20.

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Oh, Vibros,
    If only it were that simple. Here in Canada, it's impossible to get H202 anything over .03% without a licence. If I had the source and the time, I would do a "Hair Bleach" treatment, but I don't have the time to wait 6 weeks for a batch to come in.
    Also, we all know, no one will actually pay MORE for it if it were not yellowed.My Time and effort, doesn't mean anything to a potential buyer. It all comes down to the price (and shipping). That.s why I include shipping in my prices, so the potential buyer knows exactly how much he or she is paying. It doesn't matter how much shipping material is used, time,gas,etc, all the buyer cares for is what the bottom line is.
    Last edited by quarkx; 27th April 2014 at 20:27.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234