Apollo 1240/60 64 mb single simm

Marmes

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Amadora
I made this mod to my apollo, because I don't have a tower and want to see some nice demos that require 64mb ram.
Apollo didn't accept more than 32mb per simm, now it does :D I don't know if it will accept 128mb because I don't have one but will make some more tests.
Did some mem tests, all ran fine! Tested with 4mb, 16mb, 32mb and 64mb.
Here are some pics.
I used a a gal22v10, because it was what I had here.
More info will come soon..
20140412_002553.jpg20140412_002608.jpg20140412_002616.jpg20140412_003726.jpg

Last edited:
ok,you got my attention:D

have you connected the missing address line,if so it should accept 128mb.

the question that beckons is: did you do it for both sockets?

Last edited:
Hi!
I could use both sockets, but I choose to use only one. I used the missing adress, as I said I only tested with the above memories, I don't have an 128mb ram simm that's why I can't confirm if it works or not, but will have soon. I need to find a good design so it can fit an apollo nicelly. I also think we need to remove 27c socket and solder the eeprom directly, so we can fit the simm, or just find a nice 64mb or 128mb (to be tested) simm.
I just don't understand why didn't they do this in the begining.

Last edited:
Hi!
I could use both sockets, but I choose to use only one. I used the missing adress, as I said I only tested with the above memories, I don't I have an 128mb ram simm that's why I can't confirm if it works or not, but will have soon. I need to find a good design so it can fit an apollo nicelly. I also think we need to remove 27c socket and solder the eeprom directly, so we can fit the simm, or just find a nice 64mb or 128mb (to be tested) simm.
I just don't understand why didn't they do this in the begining.

let us know if you do a run of boards with programmed gals as im interested.:)
or offer a service for programming the gals,will you be releasing the schematic?
i suppose you will be as it needs a few flying leads soldered on the board.

please,please let us know if you connected the missing address line for the second socket as well.

#finger over the buy it now button for two 128mb simms#:LOL:

please test it with a 060 on board as well,as i think the bootrom is slightly different.

Last edited:
Wow, NICE Marmes!

I shall be getting / making a couple of these =)

Last edited:
Oh, nice! There's some tasty hackery right there! Nicely done, sir!

(y)

I still don't know what to do, I never tested with 2 simms, only one, but here's what I have in mind:
1- Make a small board with a SOIC gal and a PLCC connector to put on top of MACH210 chip, like an indivision.
You would need to remove one resistor, solder mach210 directly on board and solder 2 wires.
2- The same as above, but instead of using plcc , I would be puting a small board soldered on the oposite side of ram connector, remove the resistor and solder 4 wires.
What would be more interesting?
I am still not posting nothing because I need a bit more testing. something like 2 or 3 days

Last edited:
hi mate,if you can do it so it doesn't interfere with the second simm slot im fine.

i wont be using it in a desktop machine,but i really want more memory.

even if it just ends up being a board with jumper wires im fine with that also,i dont need to piggyback the mach.

i haven't looked at mine for a while,does the missing line connect together on both simm sockets?

I am after a 68060 cpu rev 6 to solder here to make more tests, will be making a sch to post here.
This is very similiar to Speedgeek's A3000 16mb simm mod, the code is a bit diferent though.

Last edited:
more importantly,what sort of price will you be making these at please roughly?

after I have this ready, I will publish all for free, will be selling boards also, if people want to buy it, if not they can make themselves

i would be interested in one if it goes above 64mb.and maybe if i can still use the other simm slot.

are you connecting A11 from both simm sockets?

as you know this a major flaw in the design of these cards,thats why im very much interested as you can understand..

Last edited:
@roy_bates, I didn't connect A11 to second simm I will not use it, but I will order 2 simm of 128mb of ram and will solder another simm socket.
Just a small update:

20140413_022049.jpg

as I told only 2 wires :)

you nearly have me sold mate:D

just waiting to see 128mb,and the deal is done for me:).im sure it will work with 128mb,not sure about more though.

weither it be 2 64's in two slots or one 128 in one slot.

EDIT: i just did a little bit of maths,with the full address space being used 128mb would be the max it could see in theory.
if the other socket's address and data lines are connected together and merged into one memory pool you might not be able to go beyond 128,but i would be very happy with that as is.

EDIT2:i had a thought, if the eprom is in the way you could mount it "dead bug" style on the other side of the card where there is loads of room,as in upside down in a socket,fidly but doable.(i would be willing to do that to a 27c010,for the better good)

EDIT3: when you do the final version of this will you be using the plcc version of that ic to make it a bit smaller?

Last edited:

just waiting to see 128mb,and the deal is done for me:).im sure it will work with 128mb,not sure about more though.

Think bigger, Roy! 2x 128MB SIMMs! :LOL:

Think bigger, Roy! 2x 128MB SIMMs! :LOL:

trust me mate,i was thinking that exact thought.but...have a look at my edit.

i can get these simms dirt cheap,so no loss for a bit of experimentation.

pending final price per unit,i would like to have two of these for my cards reserved in advance from marmes!:LOL:
im so exited.:D

Last edited:
I really don't know if 256mb is possible... I just ordered 2 128mb simms. Let us try :)

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT2:i had a thought, if the eprom is in the way you could mount it "dead bug" style on the other side of the card where there is loads of room,as in upside down in a socket,fidly but doable.(i would be willing to do that to a 27c010,for the better good)

EDIT3: when you do the final version of this will you be using the plcc version of that ic to make it a bit smaller?

When you mean dead bug, you mean this?

conv.jpg

If yes, that's a nice idea, it would easilly fit a lot more mem modules.

About plcc or a smaller chip. Yes!
that's the idea, after having all code, I would do it in a soic or plcc chip.

Last edited:
i cant see the attachment mate,by dead bug i mean turn the ic upside down and simply flip the card and put it on the other side of the card its through hole, it means bending all the legs on the 27c010 in the opposite direction.
i may be making this sound alot easier than it is of course,but i think you know what i mean.

when you get a chance of course and a have some time could you say how much this would be roughly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom