386_junkie

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Glasgow
Hi,

Looking for the VLB version of the Tseng ET4000/W32... either the "p" or "i" version.

I am willing to buy, or swap. I have a large stock of everything which may have something you may be looking for?

Thanks for reading, and regards,

I have a 32p 1MB in my boxes (I'm moving).
I'll try to test it after I'v moved next week and if it works I'll contact you (if you haven't found yet).

Regards;

Hi Sunaiac,

Thanks for your post, and yea... that would be great to hear from you.

From memory (excuse the pun) is the card upgradable to 2MB?

Thanks

Fantastic...

Are you looking for anything yourself i.e. need something for any project builds or would you prefer just an outright sale?

Thanks

You should consider the S3 Vision (864,868,964 & 968) series as well. Just as good performance and compatibility (see vogons), but much cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Last edited:
Hi Vetz,

Thanks for the advice.

In your experience do you really find the performance comparable?

There is a trio 64 new up on ebay just now, the memory for these cards are a little bit slower though ranging around the 70ns mark. The Tseng's from what I gather seem to frequent 45ns memory, not all of them... but some.

Hi Vetz,

Thanks for the advice.

There is a trio 64 new up on ebay just now, the memory for these cards are a little bit slower though ranging around the 70ns mark. The Tseng's from what I gather seem to frequent 45ns memory, not all of them... but some.

Me and Artex have benched on two different CPUs using the same type of board. Both the S3 Vision 864 and the ET4000/W32p gave the same performance (some minor differences as to expect). See this thread on Vogons for benchmark: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39134&start=200#p363339

I dunno about the Trio64 VLB cards, I haven't tested them. My ET4000/W32p card has 45ns memory and my S3 Vision use 50ns. The 864 is the same as the 964 just with 170mhz RAMDAC compared to 220MHZ RAMDAC. 868/968 is the same the 864/964 series just with added hardware accleration for video in Windows. Basically for DOS gaming usage they are the same. The Number Nine cards were high-end cards targeted for AUTOCAD and desktop publishing back in 94/95, so they are great choices. The ET4000/W32p mainly got its reputation as delivering highend performance in gaming without the higher pricetag (the 968 cards sold for 700-800 dollars in 1995). Ofc they could not compete in Windows applications.

Last edited:
Hello,

I finished moving in, i'll have an internet activity again now :D
I'll test the card asap.

Cheers for the link & info!

Yea it's good to see the comparisons there... though I noticed your Tseng only had 1Mb, the card doesn't interleave memory unless it has 2Mb so might give a performance boost... though not by much i'd imagine.

Seems there are a few that see the ET4000 chipset a bit overhyped... I guess it really just comes down to looking for best performance on whichever platform dos/win.

Hi Vetz,

Thanks for the advice.

Me and Artex have benched on two different CPUs using the same type of board. Both the S3 Vision 864 and the ET4000/W32p gave the same performance (some minor differences as to expect). See this thread on Vogons for benchmark: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39134&start=200#p363339

I dunno about the Trio64 VLB cards, I haven't tested them. My ET4000/W32p card has 45ns memory and my S3 Vision use 50ns. The 864 is the same as the 964 just with 170mhz RAMDAC compared to 220MHZ RAMDAC. 868/968 is the same the 864/964 series just with added hardware accleration for video in Windows. Basically for DOS gaming usage they are the same. The Number Nine cards were high-end cards targeted for AUTOCAD and desktop publishing back in 94/95, so they are great choices. The ET4000/W32p mainly got its reputation as delivering highend performance in gaming without the higher pricetag (the 968 cards sold for 700-800 dollars in 1995). Ofc they could not compete in Windows applications.

- - - Updated - - -

Have PM'd

Hello,

I finished moving in, i'll have an internet activity again now :D
I'll test the card asap.

Last edited:
Cheers for the link & info!

Yea it's good to see the comparisons there... though I noticed your Tseng only had 1Mb, the card doesn't interleave memory unless it has 2Mb so might give a performance boost... though not by much i'd imagine.

Seems there are a few that see the ET4000 chipset a bit overhyped... I guess it really just comes down to looking for best performance on whichever platform dos/win.
The memory interleaving seems to have no impact really (for VGA performance). If you look at Artex'es benches he has 2 MB in his cards and 1 MB in the S3 Vision, opposite of my setup and we both had the same results. I've ordered more memory to my ET4000 so will rebench to test exactly this when I get the chips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom