Tapuino, the $20 C64 Tape Emulator

I have committed another small update which should fix the LEDs on the Reloaded board and allows for bigger fonts on the SSD1306 displays via a config variable: LCD_SSD1306_BIG_FONTS
See the config-user.h.example file for use. Once testing is complete I will tag a release.

If folks could test this on their boards to look for regressions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
-(e)

Hi, tried the Big_Font option, but no difference on the display.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I was wondering if it would be possible to cram both Tapuino and SD2IEC on the same board, preferably that it would be a cableless design that plugs directly into the serial and cassette port and share the SD card? I guess you need a bigger chip to accommodate the source codes for both.

Last edited:
Yes I would like something like this,I would of got a C64SD from Manosoft,thats what they are Tapuino and SD2IEC and they work together,but they are not been made no more,maybe we could do a project here that we could make..?

I was wondering if it would be possible to cram both Tapuino and SD2IEC on the same board, preferably that it would be a cableless design that plugs directly into the serial and cassette port and share the SD card? I guess you need a bigger chip to accommodate the source codes for both.

Last edited:
Hi, tried the Big_Font option, but no difference on the display.

Any ideas?

Just to confirm, you are using the SSD1306 based display and have uncommented the appropriate define in config-user.h?

Edit:
I've just tested this with commented / uncomented and it is definitely switching font size.

Last edited:
I have a questionbut can anyone tell me if the ability to manage multi-uploads has been more implemented at the software level?

It seems I have found why the 4052 wasn't working on my board. I was missing two connections to it. Too much going on at once and I guess I thought I had it all wired up when I walked away but hadn't finished checking it. I like the Tapuino so far.

Has anyone ever released the version with the changes to the LCD output for the oled screen? I didn't see anywhere that it was linked to, and I don't see anyone else using that on their units. I was hoping to dress mine up a bit with a LCD output more like that.

Last edited:
I am desperately trying to have the Tapuino R2 working but I just get an 'Init failed' message on the display. I have checked the board and connections hundreds of times but still no luck. I tried also to hook up another SD module (not the mini SD module but the one for standard SD cards) and strangely I do have an init but the display will scroll fast through the tapuino menu items alone and no control of it with the switches. If I remove button 3 connection the scroll stop but I cannot browse the SD card. I do not know how this standard module can be compatible with this project.
The Mini SD module may be at fault then? I measured 3.26v at the regulator so I assume the voltage to init the card is ok but I just get a failed boot up.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9984.jpg
    IMG_9984.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am desperately trying to have the Tapuino R2 working but I just get an 'Init failed' message on the display. I have checked the board and connections hundreds of times but still no luck. I tried also to hook up another SD module (not the mini SD module but the one for standard SD cards) and strangely I do have an init but the display will scroll fast through the tapuino menu items alone and no control of it with the switches. If I remove button 3 connection the scroll stop but I cannot browse the SD card. I do not know how this standard module can be compatible with this project.
The Mini SD module may be at fault then? I measured 3.26v at the regulator so I assume the voltage to init the card is ok but I just get a failed boot up.

Hi,

Firstly, apologies for not replying to your direct mail. As usual, life is somewhat complex.

If the other module is initializing with the same SD card, then there is probably something at issue with the mini module. If you are using a different SD card then I would try to format the card with the SD Association formatting tool, you could have a dodgy partition / fat issue.
Also I would check that there are no other partitions on the card (this is often the case if you've used it before as a RASPI card or such). The accepted answer from here is how I would do that: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.c...-reformat-my-sd-card-to-use-it-normally-again

In terms of the buttons: this sounds like either a wiring issue, or possibly KEYS_INPUT_PULLUP is not defined in the config.h file.
The initial hardware used pull-down resistors on the buttons until I switched to using the internal pull-ups on the Nano. This means, the Nano is holding the input HIGH and the buttons should pull the input LOW to ground when connected.
I would check your setup again as it seems that 1 or more of the button inputs are being pulled low and hence the scrolling you are seeing, this seems to be verified in that the scrolling stops when you disconnect the buttons.

I hope this helps.
-(e)

Hello Sweetlilmre,

I have read you e-mail. No problem thanks a lot for your time and our hobby is really not in a rush :-D.
I have ordered a couple of extra Mini SD modules and I will try again with the standard size SD card module in the meantime. I will check the sketch config file and ensure that the PULLUP commands are not commented. By the way, the standard SD card module has inputs for 5v and 3.3V. Should I connect the 5v pin ?

Concerning the SD card format, I do not have any partition in it but I will format it again with the tool you specified.

Thanks a lot.
Riccardo

- - - Updated - - -

The inputs in the config.h file looks correct

// comment this line if you are using HW1.0
#define KEYS_INPUT_PULLUP
#define KEYS_READ_PORT PORTC
#define KEYS_READ_DDR DDRC
#define KEYS_READ_PINS PINC
#define KEY_SELECT_PIN 3
#define KEY_ABORT_PIN 2
#define KEY_PREV_PIN 1
#define KEY_NEXT_PIN 0

Last edited:
Hello Sweetlilmre,

I have read you e-mail. No problem thanks a lot for your time and our hobby is really not in a rush :-D.
I have ordered a couple of extra Mini SD modules and I will try again with the standard size SD card module in the meantime. I will check the sketch config file and ensure that the PULLUP commands are not commented. By the way, the standard SD card module has inputs for 5v and 3.3V. Should I connect the 5v pin ?

Concerning the SD card format, I do not have any partition in it but I will format it again with the tool you specified.

Thanks a lot.
Riccardo

- - - Updated - - -

#define KEY_SELECT_PIN 3
#define KEY_ABORT_PIN 2
#define KEY_PREV_PIN 1
#define KEY_NEXT_PIN 0

Hi,

My SD card module has a level shifting chip on it (5V -> 3V), yours seems to use resistors, unless the chip is on the bottom of the board.
With mine I connect SD Card module to the 5V pin so that it has the correct voltage on the high side of the level shifter (the nano pins are also 5V and the shifter will translate to 3V for the SD Card IO).
I would assume the same for yours but the resistor setup seems odd.
Are you saying you have connected it to 5V or 3V when you had it working?

The config looks good, so it would seem that there is something incorrect in the wiring of your button module.
Your common pin on the board should be connected to GND and then each signal pin should be not connected.
i.e. there should be no connection between the common pin and each of the signal pins, until the button is pressed

Check for a short between pins and that the orientation of the buttons is correct (not rotated by 90 degrees).

HTH
-(e)

Hello Sweetlilmre,

Thanks a lot.
Riccardo

- - - Updated - - -

#define KEY_SELECT_PIN 3
#define KEY_ABORT_PIN 2
#define KEY_PREV_PIN 1
#define KEY_NEXT_PIN 0

Hi,

My SD card module has a level shifting chip on it (5V -> 3V), yours seems to use resistors, unless the chip is on the bottom of the board.
With mine I connect SD Card module to the 5V pin so that it has the correct voltage on the high side of the level shifter (the nano pins are also 5V and the shifter will translate to 3V for the SD Card IO).
I would assume the same for yours but the resistor setup seems odd.
Are you saying you have connected it to 5V or 3V when you had it working?

The config looks good, so it would seem that there is something incorrect in the wiring of your button module.
Your common pin on the board should be connected to GND and then each signal pin should be not connected.
i.e. there should be no connection between the common pin and each of the signal pins, until the button is pressed

Check for a short between pins and that the orientation of the buttons is correct (not rotated by 90 degrees).

HTH
-(e)

Things are moving a little bit....
So the standard SD card module is working with the +5V hooked to the 5v rail then I do have still the menu items scrolling. Now I am reading from you that there is an orientation for the button switches?? How do I know the correct orientation? Actually I had the curiosity to check with the multimeter and all 4 pins of each buttons are shorted (any 2 by 2 combination will beep) when button not pressed and I do not think this is correct. :unsure:

For the Mini SD card module I tried to format with the tools you suggested but now I have a different error MKDir Fail. Weird.

At least I think that I may have this arduino running with the standard module as soon as I understand how to place those switches correctly in the circuit :ninja:

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom