Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1001

Thread: Tapuino, the $20 C64 Tape Emulator

  1. #41
    galax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    50
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

    Default Tapuino, the $20 C64 Tape Emulator

    When you click 'upload', do the transmit and receive LEDs flash on the Arduino? Do you have the correct model (Uno, Mega, Leonardo etc.) selected in the software? I would first try uploading a really simple program that just flashes the LEDs or something to make sure that the Arduino is working OK.
    Last edited by galax; 23rd July 2014 at 16:17.
    http://galax.xyz

  2. #42
    stephenfalken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Lancashire
    Posts
    402
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galax View Post
    When you click 'upload', do the transmit and receive LEDs flash on the Arduino? Do you have the correct model (Uno, Mega, Leonardo etc.) selected in the software? I would first try uploading a really simple program that just flashes the LEDs or something to make sure that the Arduino is working OK.
    Yeah cheers I have tried that already. Tested the blinky LED and also transmitting serial text to make sure it's working. Model is a Nano clone and is selected in the software. The LEDs flash as expected when uploading.

    Regards
    Amiga 1200, 4GB CF, WiFi
    Amiga 500 1MB, Raspberry Pi Floppy Emulator
    10 x Commodore 64s, various models. EasyFlash 3, SD2IEC, Tapuino, 5 x 1541
    Spectrum 128+2A, Atari 2600 Vader, Sony PSX, Microsoft Xbox, BBC Model B - Turbo MMC


  3. #43
    sweetlilmre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    South Africa
    Region:
    KwaZulu / Natal
    Posts
    740
    Feedback
    33 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenfalken View Post
    Hi mate.

    I got my parts today and have literally thrown it together on these small breadboards just to test it. I haven't yet hooked it up to the C64 as I want to make sure it's working first.

    However, I am currently not getting any activity from the device and was wondering if that is normal without it being connected to the C64?

    Everything is powered and I have double/triple checked all the connections, but still getting nothing on the display. Is this supposed to draw power from the C64 or do you power it via the USB port?

    Thanks in advance!

    Regards


    Attachment 73074
    Hi,

    There is a blocking initialization issue with I2C i.e. the screen which will lock the chip up.
    This usually occurs if you have the LCD wired incorrectly, make sure you have the SDA and SCL lines correctly, try swapping them if you get no joy.
    Do you get any output over the serial monitor via the Arduino IDE? If not then an I2C problem is highly likely.
    I'll put some debugging in to the code now and push it so that serial gets set up and prints appropriate messages.

    Let me know
    -(e)

  4. #44
    galax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    50
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Sorry just had to check the obvious

    The instructions say "Caution: Do not connect the Nano to both the C64 and PC" - what is the problem with that?
    http://galax.xyz

  5. #45
    sweetlilmre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    South Africa
    Region:
    KwaZulu / Natal
    Posts
    740
    Feedback
    33 (100%)

    Default

    Ok,

    If you pull the latest code:
    On the serial console you should see:

    Starting init sequence
    I2C init OK
    Init...

    If you don't get to "I2C init OK" then I2C is not correctly wired.
    -(e)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by galax View Post
    Sorry just had to check the obvious

    The instructions say "Caution: Do not connect the Nano to both the C64 and PC" - what is the problem with that?
    You'll be feeding power into the C64... generally a bad practice
    I need to look into some protection circuitry for that (if possible)
    -(e)
    Last edited by sweetlilmre; 23rd July 2014 at 16:42.

  6. #46
    galax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    50
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

    Default Tapuino, the $20 C64 Tape Emulator

    Would a diode on the power from the C64 be enough? That's what I do... Would it be possible to detect USB or C64 power?

    (Edit: I use Tapatalk on my phone to access the forum, it pops up a notification on any replies )
    Last edited by galax; 23rd July 2014 at 16:50.
    http://galax.xyz

  7. #47
    stephenfalken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Lancashire
    Posts
    402
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

    Default

    Wow you guys reply really fast! LOL

    I've just tried an LCD example sketch and without changing any wiring at all I can print text to the LCD no problem!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140723_153912.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	73075

    Will have a look now at the latest code! Thanks!

    Regards

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hmm

    All I am getting in the serial monitor is "Starting init sequence". Nothing else...

    As for the issue with the power, how do you power the Nano when connected to the C64? I am currently using your original breadboard layout which shows only 3 wires going to the datasette port.

    Thanks
    Amiga 1200, 4GB CF, WiFi
    Amiga 500 1MB, Raspberry Pi Floppy Emulator
    10 x Commodore 64s, various models. EasyFlash 3, SD2IEC, Tapuino, 5 x 1541
    Spectrum 128+2A, Atari 2600 Vader, Sony PSX, Microsoft Xbox, BBC Model B - Turbo MMC


  8. #48
    sweetlilmre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    South Africa
    Region:
    KwaZulu / Natal
    Posts
    740
    Feedback
    33 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenfalken View Post
    Wow you guys reply really fast! LOL

    I've just tried an LCD example sketch and without changing any wiring at all I can print text to the LCD no problem!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140723_153912.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	73075

    Will have a look now at the latest code! Thanks!

    Regards

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hmm

    All I am getting in the serial monitor is "Starting init sequence". Nothing else...

    As for the issue with the power, how do you power the Nano when connected to the C64? I am currently using your original breadboard layout which shows only 3 wires going to the datasette port.

    Thanks
    Ah okay then this is definitely an I2C issue. Which library did you use to print on the LCD?
    I believe the problem is that the I2C backpack you are using has a different I2C address to mine.

    Look in config.h and find the "LCD_I2C_ADDR" define.
    Check that this is the same as the address you used in the other library, I bet its different

    -(e)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by galax View Post
    Would a diode on the power from the C64 be enough? That's what I do... Would it be possible to detect USB or C64 power?

    (Edit: I use Tapatalk on my phone to access the forum, it pops up a notification on any replies )
    A diode should do it as far as protecting the C64 (possibly, diodes might need to be put on several lines and there is also the 0.7V drop across the diode which might impact), but its still not a great idea to power from 2 different sources.
    -(e)

  9. #49
    galax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    50
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlilmre View Post
    A diode should do it as far as protecting the C64 (possibly, diodes might need to be put on several lines and there is also the 0.7V drop across the diode which might impact), but its still not a great idea to power from 2 different sources.
    -(e)
    I connect an Arduino to the C64 user port data pins and USB at the same time. I think a common ground and diodes on the user port pins should be enough safety- leave the C64 Vcc disconnected from the Arduino.
    http://galax.xyz

  10. #50
    sweetlilmre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    South Africa
    Region:
    KwaZulu / Natal
    Posts
    740
    Feedback
    33 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenfalken View Post

    As for the issue with the power, how do you power the Nano when connected to the C64? I am currently using your original breadboard layout which shows only 3 wires going to the datasette port.

    Thanks
    Check out the 2nd blog post I've got all the wiring there, I take power from the 5V line on the Datasette connector and wire it to the 5V line on the Arduino (not vIN).
    I'll update the breadboard diagram later.
    -(e)

Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Cbm 64 tape deck
    By owen2471 in forum Commodore
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st September 2013, 19:43
  2. Sold TAKEN: C 116 with tape
    By antonikaroly in forum Sales Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd August 2013, 20:19
  3. Sold C64 Tape Bundle
    By morcar in forum Commodore
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th July 2013, 01:44
  4. For Sale Tape Drive
    By alpehut in forum Other
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st April 2013, 13:17
  5. Closed Zx 16 microdrives tape with box
    By Virge in forum Sales Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th July 2011, 21:07

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •