Sold Floppy Drive 3pol from Amstrad CPC 6128 (faulty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarvalho

AmiBayer
Rating - 98.3%
58   1   0
Country
Portugal
Region
Oporto
Selling my floppy drive. New drive belt fitted but it doesnt read disks.
Asking price: 10€+PP+fees or gift option

Thanks,
Jorge

cpcdisk_1.jpg
cpcdisk_2.jpg
cpcdisk_3.jpg

Hi,

What's the exact error you get when you try and read a disk?

I do the cat command, the drive starts to spin, head moves but gives the read error asking to retry or abort
:(
Thats all

Have you checked that it's turning at the correct speed?

Bryce.

Hi Bryce! Dont know how to do it... Now, I have cuted the case guts to fit an 3,5 drive disk, it is almost there :) need to buy an IDC connetor to make changes in order to connect the old cable to the new 3,5 floppy. Now is too late to try to fix the floppy drive... It will be replaced. I have bought this CPC knowing that drive was faulty on evilbay. I thought that a drive belt would solve the problem, but I dont know how to repair it. If I cant sell this, it will go to the bin can, it is useless to me. I am just selling it because it would be kind of handy for someone that knows how to fix it. It is sad to sent it to the trash bin

Ok, well for you or whoever the future buyer might be, here's what needs to be done:

1. Download this software and run it on your CPC with the drive attached and a disk inserted (you'll need a working drive attached too to load it of course)
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/dsktest-v0-1b/msg63868/#msg63868

2. The drive should turn at 300rpm. If it doesn't (very likely), then you need to turn the "rubber screw" slightly (on the top of the motor, can be seen in your first picture). You only need to turn it maybe 5% to make a difference. Then retest and re-tweak until you get 300rpm.

3. Now try loading / CATing a disk and it should all work fine.

Bryce.

P.s. Before you dump it let me know.

Last edited:
Declaring interest in this drive if it is still available, pending postal quote to Ireland.

PM sent to owner to clarify.

Craig

Got quotes for shipping.
The package is under 0,5 Kg so prices to EU are:
Normal: 4€
Registered- 6,60€

Regards,
Jorge

Money recieved, Drive sent today, PM with tracking details will follow right now.
Leaving GOOD feedback to Craig!
Many thanks my friend!
Regards,
Jorge

Hi Bryce! Dont know how to do it... Now, I have cuted the case guts to fit an 3,5 drive disk, it is almost there :) need to buy an IDC connetor to make changes in order to connect the old cable to the new 3,5 floppy. Now is too late to try to fix the floppy drive... It will be replaced. I have bought this CPC knowing that drive was faulty on evilbay. I thought that a drive belt would solve the problem, but I dont know how to repair it. If I cant sell this, it will go to the bin can, it is useless to me. I am just selling it because it would be kind of handy for someone that knows how to fix it. It is sad to sent it to the trash bin

Save from the bin and fixed. The drive required the following.

Spin speed slowing down from 315 -> 300 rpm
Head adjustment so the tracks were alligned.

Once those 2 jobs were done it works perfectly

This will donate it's facia to my spare 5v 3 inch drive so I have a Black drive in my Schneider CPC 6128 and no requirement for the 12v feed this will then join my PCWesque (White fronted) spare 12v drive collection, I already have a 80 track DSDD 3 inch drive in that.

Thanks for the sale, it was JUST what I needed :)

Craig

Hi Craig! I am very happy to know that the drive started to work again! Enjoy it! Dont know the use that the previous owner gave it. In my hands, I tryed 2 or 3 floppys but it never worked.
Thanks for the follow up after recieving it and for the positive feedback!(y)
Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom