Raspberry Pi as HDMI adapter for Amiga?

Frederic_Freakazoid

Lazy Gamer
Country
United States
Region
Wisconsin
Would if be feasible to use the Rasperry Pi's GPIO interface to capture Amiga's video in all formats (including NTSC50) and output to HDMI? I know nothing of programming or how said interface even works so apologies if it's silly question. :)

No other options really work for what I want to do. I have a GBS-8220 which doesn't seem to handle PAL (or NTSC50) properly (though I'm sure it could be futzed with more). I need my CD32 w/sx32 PRO to be portable, useable on all sorts of NTSC televisions (as I'm not going to lug around monitors every time we want to play miggy stuff).

Highly unlikely the way you plan to do it. The thing is, the GPIO does not actually directly support video input. Yes, there's webcams for the Pi etc, bu there's circuitry involved before a module is plugged in. Had a look at various Pi forums, and my understanding is that you need a video capture device supporting Linux. But before you go out and buy something, make sure you read what other people had success with, just to be on the safe side. I'm talking about USB dongles that capture video.

Even if you could do this, I'm sure whatever latency it introduced would make it an unsatisfying experience

That's a shame.. I guess in my mind I'm thinking that any electronic input can be programmed to interpret signals of all sorts. But again, I've no clue how any of that works.

thats is "freakingly" cool no pun :)

elcheapo HDMI for an Amiga.

Would be cool if the push on over the chip method ( like the vampire ) for an A600 or even the Lisa chip.

Last edited:
have you got a photo of the inside of the A600 where it fits ?

will it collide with an over the cpu ram expansion ?

where can i get one :)

oh. P.S.

does 50hz work with smooth scrolling ?

Last edited:
Only on the A500/+ as the denice chip has to fit into the adapter and the RPI zero's gpio header fits into the adapter.

My biggest question/concern.. can the black bars be filled with something during the process to keep the aspect ratio intact? Like the sides of a 1084 or something... Or just any logo/graphic.

might be possible to force the actual display to a 4:3 ?

I literally want (if possible) my amiga to display on any/all hdtv *within* an image of a 1084, or within a graphic of any kind. Like most any retro emulation solution that has things like a classic TV overlay or a Game Boy Overlay. Fill the whole screen AND keep aspect ratio. It would be great if TV manufacturers implemented that on their own as the TV OS works as an overlay without any other tricks.

Interesting project. What exta hardware is needed for this?

And what are the advantages over a gbs control apart from the latter needing a hdmi adapter?

Well.... I did a number of videoes about this RaspberryPI-Zero solution yesterday.
The original project, is for a BBC Mikro, and it is expanded for other systems as well.
I have a link in the description of the videoes on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

Last edited:
Ive been using my Adapter for a week now....added a switch on the RPI side to enter the on screen menus of the RPI.

https://youtu.be/2u6hWGlOzTA

https://youtu.be/-gxpG8moEEI
Awesome picture quality....������

Yup. I saw the videoes on youtube. However, I am a bit unsure on how to navigate the menu, using one button.
The adaptor (my OCS version) delivers a good result, and for the price it is a really great product.
The best combination that I have found so far, is an el-cheapo china HDMI to VGA adaptor and then an Sony SDM-X95K Monitor.
The monitor delivers a slightly more soft image, compared to 4K televisions. I think it displays the pixels differently.
Also, it can sync to 50hz, has VGA and DVI input plus build in speakers (although really shitty sound). So... Yay! :p

Last edited:
Its a "long press" to enter the menu
Then a "short press" to move the menu pointers....

This must have been one of the most satisfying internet moments ever.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom