Anyone here program on a regular basis?

LUA sounds a lot like C in that its nice and compact. :)

I actually need to get up to speed on .Net quite quickly to finish a web app project off for someone. Does anyone here know of any resources that would help me do so? I've done some C# in the past though not a whole lot. .Net seems unlike anything I've encountered so far with its partial HTML files. I have visual studio 2013 to work with.

what do you mean, you've done C#, but not .Net? I know it's technically possible to use the C# syntax in other places than the .Net environment, but if that has ever happened until now, I'm not so sure (super rare at best)...

I started using .Net (C#) a little under a year ago for the first time (was already an experienced 68k asm, java, C/C++ developer) and I just took it bit by bit, using google to help when I ended up in a snag..

what do you mean, you've done C#, but not .Net? I know it's technically possible to use the C# syntax in other places than the .Net environment, but if that has ever happened until now, I'm not so sure (super rare at best)...

I started using .Net (C#) a little under a year ago for the first time (was already an experienced 68k asm, java, C/C++ developer) and I just took it bit by bit, using google to help when I ended up in a snag..

XNA Game development :)

The Google approach is my usual approach when taking to a new language. I'd love to hear about any other techniques programmers use to absorb new languages quickly?

Last edited:
XNA Game development? Dead language but having said that.....
Enjoy what you enjoy :) .

I mean people still code Amos , even horrible STOS or any 8bit basic today

Last edited:
It's all pretty transferable isn't it? Most of the time when they design these languages they're based on something else. Just learn how the asp.net page behaves in regards to which events get fired when, learn some basic syntax and you can normally muddle your way through based on what you know from other languages and with a little help from Google, and learn on the job? That's what I tend to do and seems the quickest approach for me.

I still enjoy diving back into my old Delphi code from time to time as well :LOL:

Last edited:
It's all pretty transferable isn't it?

That's usually very true. .Net has a very strange layout though. It's also web focused, so not exactly just straight forward C#, it's mixed in with HTML and CSS and programming conventions, particularly MVC. It has some unique features too and I'm working on a project that's been written by someone else which doesn't make things easier. Everything is segmented and broken up a bit more than I'm used to, so its really the workings of the .net technology I need some assistance getting up to speed with as opposed to C# itself.

Here's an example.... (Not the actual project I'm working on)

attachment

It probably doesn't help that I'm working on someone else's code. Half of what's confusing me may be just the other guy's optional coding preference. I can see it uses MVC, which I'm familiar with but it doesn't seem as simple as that. I'll grab a book if nobody can recommend any resources, but it would be a great help if someone could point me somewhere that will get me up to speed on the basics in a few hours. I just need enough to be able to separate what is .Net convention, and what is the original programmers personality. (y)

- - - Updated - - -

XNA Game development? Dead language but having said that.....

It was 2012 when I learned XNA. Just on the end of it's life. I don't actively develop in it anymore. Since then the uni moved on to Obj-C which I spent the following year and a half getting used to between many assignments. Two of the strongest languages for me, taught at uni, are sadly languages that are dead or dying (XNA C# and Obj-C). I'm still in uni, just coming to the end of my Masters year, but I feel I have been holding myself back by continuing in education, partially in that I haven't been able to focus on programming as much as I'd have liked. I'm doing work for other people now on a Junior programmer level so getting a chance to shift to other languages. Given I already know C# to an extent, I'm working on a .net project but its workings are a little different since its focused on web rather than straight programs. Up to now, the web technologies I'm used to dealing with have been HTML, CSS, JS and PHP. Pretty sure I'll be fine once I get up to speed.

Last edited:
Worked it out! w3Schools for the win.

Lets get back on topic (y)

I have an interesting angle on this, I've been a Front End/UI developer for about 10 years now. My background is in design (art at school/college) and 10 years ago this was the perfect background for a front end developer, where attention to detail is very important (and in my experience something 'programmers' often lack) and when websites were all made of tables and GIFs. I would say my main skills are HTML, CSS, and Flash (which is now all but dead.)

However due to shifts in my industry and specifically the rise in javascript over the last 7-8 years (I blame jQuery) it is now becoming essential for front end developers to be js experts despite the fact most of us would hold our hands up and say we're not programmers - we're glorified designers.

So I personally have really struggled with this transition. Visual design is my passion and the reason I chose this career, yet we are being pressured in to becoming programmers. In fact it has resulted in an entire generation of 'rogue' front end developers - they are great at programming javascript, but have no eye for design and couldn't give a toss about the things that are still important like browser compatibility.

I've been in a management role for the last couple of years so very rarely do hands-on development any more, but I am aware I'm quickly becoming one of those old people I used to despise that boss you around but don't know what they're talking about :) My job requires experience and people skills that young developers do not have, but unless you're coding 24/7 you get out of touch very quickly, I have to make an effort to try and keep up. In fact I'm going on a javascript course next month.

So my advice if you want any kind of career is stay up to date, don't waste time on things like Amos unless you can afford to spare the time as a hobby.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Even taking the time to do a masters is holding me back already. It will be over with in a few weeks once my last 2 assignments are done and then I can focus on programming 90% of the time while working on and writing up my dissertation casually, finally!

Last edited:
I maintain the "BuildCraft" Minecraft mod since October '14. Strange where life can lead you sometimes.

I've programmed for years, at first simple stuff using various Basic dialects (Commodore, Apple, TRS-80). Also used Turbo Pascal and C/C++ for quite a few years for simple stuff. In my previous job, however, I moved from an automation controls technician to programmer/systems analyst position when my maintenance job was going to be eliminated. In that role, I took what I already knew of Visual Basic and added on VB.NET, C#, Java, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, and quite a subsets such as the specifics needed for SharePoint development. Needless to say, we were mostly a Microsoft shop and only rarely could I pop in a Linux machine for "testing" purposes. One of the hardest things I encountered was learning the C++ syntax and trying to sort that from the C syntax that many people seem to mix freely. I've since taken a couple of structured C/C++ classes and learned quite a bit about how right or wrong those practices are. Another tough thing is that I generally do what I would consider the middle and back-end layer programming but have often found myself roped into completing the presentation layer as well. I'm no graphic artist and don't enjoy that part, but on many projects I was a one-man show. Either you do it yourself, you find something already existing, or some combination.

I'd like to start programming on the Amiga but need to pick up a couple of books on the basics and advanced subject matter. While I can learn a lot through Google searches, Stack Overflow, similar, I've found that getting the basics of syntax and "look and feel" is much easier with a book for a couple of weeks. Then I can be hell on wheels (sometimes, depending on how many different engineering groups Microsoft had working on a particular language or subset)... There's so much good stuff out there that I'd like to contribute back to the community, but would probably be utility and productivity items as my creative abilities run that direction rather than towards gaming and multimedia design.

My two cents; you can convert to local currency for greatest effect.

(y)

I'm working on a .Net project right now which started life as a demo project and I have had to convert into a web app. Hardest thing for me was getting used to and familiar with the layout and different workings of the .Net framework compared to other languages I have encountered up to now. I've not done much in the way of web apps up until now and having to deal with API calls via HTTPS and confederated ID login security has been a nightmare to get to grips with all at once. Still a little sketchy in places, but I'm getting there :D Worst thing is the app interacts with a server, and the guys who run it keep changing and updating things which makes my app fall over without telling me. I keep finding out days after pulling what is left of my hair out trying to figure the "not authenticated" errors out by a stack trace! :LOL: I've just had to request a list of authentication details from them so I can make sure everything is up to date in the configuration according to their end.

I'd really love to learn how to translate this to a basic AJAX type structure sometime soon. As nice as Visual Studio is, I don't enjoy being bound to proprietary languages 100%, and I think I could get a better understanding of the app interactions if I was using languages I'm more familiar with in this context, such as PHP, SQL and JS

Last edited:
I think programming daily is equivalent to "on a regular basis" ;)

I am a PHP/HTML5/CSS/JS developer by day, and Amiga tinkerer by night. To be honest, I haven't dabbled in Amiga programming for at least 20 years (last thing I programmed was a dinky little text adventure game back in AmigaBASIC) but it could pique my interest if I get bored in future — and have no other personal projects on the horizon! I think there's still an Amiga programming book or two back at my parents' house, next time I'm there I'll have a rummage around.

I seem to have recently re-caught the coding bug. I've made a script to automate encoding MP3s from my collection of lossless CD-rips. It was surprisingly fun to get back into the "zone"

(y)

Nice to see some getting the bug back, and so many here who actually do it often. I feel I still have a long way to go, but with my masters almost over, and one or two work project having eased back, I have some further time to start developing my skills again. :D

Hi,

Only just discovered this thread. I've been programming since schooldays, my first computer being a UK101, an 8k 6502 based single board computer which required you to poke (write single bytes) to various memory addresses including screen ram in order to get anything done. I learnt Microsoft Basic (at that time they were a tin pot company that could have folded at any time, and nothing like the beomoth they've become) and assembler on the 101 while learning BBC micro basic at college. At uni I learnt Z80 assembler and more Basic before getting a job designing and writing electronic point of sale software.

I tought myself C on an Amstrad 464 and landed a role at a container shipping company writing repair estimation software before moving on to design and develop command and control systems for various police forces. I also dabbled with Amos basic on an A500.

I then left IT for a long time before comming back to learn web developement, HTML, CSS etc.

Just recently I've started re-learning C for the Amiga using gcc, I'm discovering how much I've forgotten!

Last edited:
Introduction + Question

Introduction + Question

I probably wrote my first program in basic on the c64. My first 'graphical' program was in pascal, on a 286 (I think) in college. It visually illustrated how to classicly construct a line that is perpendicular to a give line/segment. It even took into account the non-square pixels of the system/time -- a feature I vaguely remember to be quite proud of.. :)

Then I went on to c/c++ at uni, and I wrote a basic ray tracer, on FreeBSD. It allowed you to render (an animation of) a scene containing primitive/analytical and heightmap-based geometries, with basic texturing/lightning/shading. There was no GUI and no saving, so almost everything needed to be done in code -- but hey, it worked! I also made a prototype of a DX-based media player for the european parlement. You could play/stream the video, and select between about 25 audio/translated tracks and/or subtitles. We used high end pc's with multiple multi-channel audio cards in them, which was pretty cool.

During the last 10 years or so, I've moved more and more towards 3D. I've had some fun with MOgre3D, ie the .net variant of the Ogre3D library (no longer supported, I believe). I've done (and still occasionally do) some Blender addon development (in python), and I also have the beginning of a Unity/C# space shooter game prototype, which I wish I could spend more time on.

I've recently dusted off my old A500, and mostly it still works (after 30 years :blink:). I remember desperately wanting to program a demo/intro for that machine at the time, but never really succeeded. With the programming experience I have now and this rediscovered love for the amiga, I might finally have another go at this. I'd rather not use M68k assembler, so C is probably the way to go for me.

So finally, my question :roll:: can somebody give me a few tips on how to get started (demo-) programming the amiga in C? OCS would be cool, but AGA would be even more welcome, as I'll probably target the A1200. Any tips for books I should read, IDE's I should check, libraries I might want to use, source code I could learn from, ..? TIA!

Hope no one minds me resurrecting an older thread. I just found it today and thought I'd say hi via this one.

I started out in the 80s on a TRS-80 Color Computer 1 (CoCo) and graduated to an Amiga 500 after a few years. I did a ton of coding on the CoCo1 but once I got the Amiga I went more into art and music, using Lightwave and trackers. I even did some art and tracking for a couple of Amiga demos.

Based on that experience I ended up getting a job in video games in the mid nineties, as an artist on SNES, Genesis, Playstation, N64, Saturn, etc. Due to getting so heavily involved in art (I did audio as well for some games) I pretty much stopped programming for about ten years. Around 2000 I started back up again, using everything from web based coding (Perl, php, Javascript, etc.) to software coding (Visual Basic, C++, C Script, C#, shaders, etc.).

These days I mostly program in C# because I've been using the Unity3D engine since 2009 and it uses that. I also still do art and music/sound.

Every now and then I've thought about getting an Amiga or CoCo again, but mainly just stuck to older game systems for a long time. Recently, though, the urge struck, and I bought a Color Computer 2. Then I bought an Amiga 500 (it's on the way as we speak). And then I decided to learn Assembly Language, which is something I always wanted to know how to do. So far so good. I'm really enjoying it, and plan on writing some games and tools, which are my two favorite things to code.

So that's me. I've been making computer games since around 1983, been a pro game dev since 1994, and now I'm going back to my comfortable place with the computers I knew and loved. Nice to be back, and nice to meet you all. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom