Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here program on a regular basis?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    East Sussex
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

I am programming every day.. Started with a ZX81 all those years ago. Currently working with
    68K Assembler and ADA on Eurofighter as well as other military aircraft. Spent 12 years programming
    on Harrier. At home I love Z80 and all the older stuff!

BP
    Collector of most retro things 8/16 Bit

CodeMonkey VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Feedback
    88 (100%)

awesome.
    “First learn computer science and all the theory. Next develop a programming style. Then forget all that and just hack.”
    (George Carrette)

Country
    UK
    Region:
    West Midlands
    Feedback
    70 (100%)
    Blog Entries

I worked as a PHP coder for a small company for quite a few years before going freelance. My full-time job was mainly all areas of medium sized web apps, Ajax front ends, MooTools etc/PHP/database/Linux etc. Altho started with Pascal & COBOL at college, then Java (1.3, old I know) at Uni. Altho did start dabbling with QuakeC and html when at school. Like to mess with Blitz in my spare time. Blitz is really easy to get into and get results pretty quickly, keeps my interest! I also use to collect Java books, just liked em! Altho I'll freely admit that I'm pretty much a code junky, not an architect or anything that professional :/

CodeMonkey VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Feedback
    88 (100%)

It's all good. Many of us love coding for various reasons. I simply love the creativity and the fact that you can pretty much create anything. Code itself is almost like writing, but in a much more expressive and intellectual way. Many ways to achieve the same goal. Many puzzles to reach it. Nothing else like it.

As for collecting books, my time in uni has seen my bookshelf begin to bend in the middle. No doubt there will be another half dozen or more before this year is over.
    Last edited by AmiNeo; 11th January 2015 at 20:11.
    “First learn computer science and all the theory. Next develop a programming style. Then forget all that and just hack.”
    (George Carrette)

Ya' Like it Retr0? Inactive Member
    VIP
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Norfolk
    Feedback
    137 (100%)

An interesting thread.

I started programming at the very young age of 9 and a half on the humble ZX80/81, by the time I was 11 years old I had started writing simple Z80 ASM routines from books I found at the library.

I currently can write in about 47 different programming and scripting languages. Its kinda been a mission to learn as many as I can. I have worked with IBM's AS400 (system 32 and 36) RPGII / III and System 32's assembly language and its CL scripting system. I have worked a lot with C and C++ as well as developed data-driven databases with some *interesting* heuristics (AI) and this was on mainframe machines in the very early 90's.

Currently re-learning Z80ASM and 6502 ASM as well over the last couple of years. however my favourite language to code in is 'C' but have begun to not dis-like as much Java.... still not a fan of it compared to most programming languages its a tad restrictive, I even wrote my own compiler for Java (in C ).

By far the hardest language to code in is brainf*ck - yes its a language with a compiler - go goolge

I have wanted to get some time as Merly and I have talked about developing some AmiBay classes for beginner and advanced programming classes. However what system is the real question.
    8)Flux Mastah' Zee8)
    50 L337 1'M W1R3FR4M3

Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Staffordshire
    Feedback
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    I have wanted to get some time as Merly and I have talked about developing some AmiBay classes for beginner and advanced programming classes. However what system is the real question.
    If you want to do any DirectX C/C++ libraries I am more than happy to help out
    Amiga 4000D/040, 2/16mb, ide cf, Indi AGA mk2,
    Amiga 600, ACA620EC, 2/9mb, ide cf,
    Ryzen 1600X, 16GB 3200, Evo 960, GTX1070
    www.nebula-design.com

CodeMonkey VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Feedback
    88 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
    If you want to do any DirectX C/C++ libraries I am more than happy to help out
    I like where this thread is leading. I was hoping you'd chime in at some point, Zeets. It's been a while
    Last edited by AmiNeo; 13th January 2015 at 17:09.
    (George Carrette)

Country
    none
    Region:
    none
    Feedback
    45 (98%)
    Blog Entries

The amiga would be suitably good. If you prefer c then i wouldnt mind converting it to hisoft devpac. Either that, or i could create the tutorial andyou convert to c. i dont mind. Especially to teach to auto switch between OCS 512kb/1mb and AGA 2mb. would be great to have the same tutorial for multiple languages.
    Last edited by davideo; 31st January 2015 at 22:22. Reason: Post restored

Country
    UK
    Region:
    West Somerset
    Feedback
    15 (100%)

That sounds very welcome

I did a bit last year and found it quite hard to gather all the info to get started (in C). It was hard enough gathering enough info on tools etc., let alone when you start to dig for actual coding tutorials from magazines it's difficult to filter the stuff according to was is very out of day because it was from WB1.3 times. Going out on the internet you have the opposite problem in the mix as well where a lot of stuff is WB3.9 and even 4+ / Morphos etc. I know a lot of it is still relevant but it gets pretty confusing.

I'm just starting to have a look again now but I know I'm spreading myself too thin on my spare time projects and may have to focus on some other things first.

Oh, just to clarify, when I say "get started" I mean in Amiga, not C itself. That I know enough of to not be a noob.

I would probably not be averse to assembler but I've always felt it would probably help to know the system / hardware first. That may or may not really be the case.
    Last edited by MartinW; 13th January 2015 at 17:58.

CodeMonkey VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Feedback
    88 (100%)

I have the kern-ritchie book but haven't found the time to sit down with it and have a good read yet. I would like to learn C++ some day... C too and it would be a fantastic starting point towards C++.

Do Amibay's post options have a code embedding option the likes of which sites like stack-overflow have?
    Last edited by AmiNeo; 13th January 2015 at 22:02.
    (George Carrette)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast