Anyone here program on a regular basis?

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey guys, thought I would start a new thread for those of us that program on a regular basis, to share experiences, knowledge, tools etc.

Maybe we could eventually even get something going to benefit Amibay. :)

If you program regularly and enjoy it, feel free to post and tell us all about what you do and enjoy etc. Don't know about everyone else but I would like to hear what other programmers enjoy doing and what helps them do it best.

Look forwards to hearing from you guys!

(y)

- - - Updated - - -

D'oh! May have put this in the wrong place! MODS... HALP! :D

Last edited:
Well, I'll start.

I am a programmer (started on an Atari 400 when I was 7). I now work for a very large, international consulting comparing. I know many languages, but at work I prefer C#.net or Java.

I work on large back-end servers.

Have a great day.

Great intro :)

I'm sure many here will have a lot more experience than myself. For those that don't know, I dabbled a bit when I was too young to fully understand programming (aged 4 - 6) with BASIC on a C64, copying some games out of books, loading and playing games even more. (Even at that age I loved the music from Last Ninja :D).

Always wanted to program seriously, followed the games industry closely, but never found a way into software development and became a hardware / networks guy instead until I found part time work working for a new media company in Liverpool. Through them I found a route into programming and took my Uni up on a belayed offer to do a CS degree. I have now just completed it and can finally call myself a programmer, albeit a relatively noob one, but I'm learning fast :)

Having just repaired my iphone 4S, I think I can also add a few levels to my soldering attribute too.

In short I have skills in many areas of IT, but programming is my holy grail. I hope to learn a lot from others willing to share their experiences :)

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I am a web programmer and designer, php mainly, but occasionally mess with other languages/devices. I've done android, arduino, flash, adobe air in the past.

I've been into programming since my dad first brought home a Mac IIcx and a bootleg copy of the real Mac Basic when I was in my single digits. Went to school for it, never finished my degree, and I haven't gotten much professional development under my belt (though my previous boss had good words for the work that I did get to do and said he was sorry he "didn't get a chance to exploit [me] further!") Still do it as a hobby, although my bad habit of keeping eleven million projects going on a rotating basis means I haven't actually released anything since my days of making short, pointless MegaZeux games six or so years ago...

Have been fiddling around with AMOS since the 90's. I'm going to start coding a bit again in the near future, as I want to make some kind of game for the Amiga. Don't know what yet, but something very simple to start with.

I've made a music-disk in the past with tunes from a musician called Jeano, as well as a few intros etc, but nothing major.

Never did any programming on other platforms.

I'm doing websites and android apps. Also learning AMOS for the Amiga :)

For those with an android device you can find an app I have been doing and still update. Amiga Demo Scene II. It's free on google play.

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk2

Nice intros guys, theres more people here than I expected. None of the usual suspects yet either!

I'm currently working on polishing my Apple (Obj-C) skills and hope to have something on the App Store by XMas, but we will see. Need a job first!
Once I find employment, too, that will guide my choice of languages from then on in I imagine. It would be pretty bad for my career if it didn't anyway. lol!

Also in the process of building a website for portfolio and trying to keep up with a blog on Blogger.

Ah the fun of it all... hehe.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy writing scripts on HP-UX and in Perl. I bought MS Visual Studio 2003 way back when and coded a VB program to predict the usage of disk space on a Database Server. Every day the server would capture its disk usage details and insert the values into a database table. My program would query the figures over several days and work out an average consumption over a given time period (usually a week), then using that average it would predict when the disks would fall below an acceptable threshold and alert the DBA that some cleanup needed to be done. It was all displayed in a window with a bar graph. This was my only attempt at semi-serious compiled programming, but I have also played with C# .Net coding the little gnome beginners program.

I've used Dreamweaver quite a bit and coded a number of Perl-CGI-MySQL web pages over the years.

I wish I could write device drivers for things that would electrically plug in and power up on Amiga's, ISA cards for example in Zorro slots.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot about my Unix days. In the US Air Force, I was not only a coder, but also a Unix Administrator/Programmer/Networking/everything job. It was great.

I have run various versions of Linux/Unix/others over the years.

Now I grew a foot long beard, let my hair grow long, and work from my man-cave (I tele-commute). I could live anywhere in the world and do my job. I'm thinking of finding a small village that costs almost nothing to live there .... as long as I have my 60MB+ network connection

Awesome guys!

Telecommuting... Sounds like a dream job, hehe.

I am a release engineer by profesion, but in my current position I am also a Java developer for parts of a complex network management system. I've also done some z80, 6502 and 68k assembly, some Arduino development and lots of c when I was a teenager.

I still dick about with Perl and PHP from time to time, but I'm not really a programmer by trade. My background was UNIX sysadmin, but now I've been promoted into a managerial role, it's only a matter of time before my staff take away my root privileges! :LOL:

I would like too start too program and learn how too do basic on the zx spectrum and c64 but find it hard too work it out from a book i run a club in greenford and would be good if someone could come down and show some of us how or do videos of us to follow

I work as Audio software developer in game engine company. Mainly doing iOS and Android audio programming and also some video related stuff.

Using c++,Java,Objective-c and c at work. Hobby programming includes c,asm and javascript.

Last edited:
Nice input guys!

I'm currently working doing some work on some apps for an ex colleague's new company. Finding it a bit strenuous since it's just me and one other guy who actually know how to code. The boss so far has asked for an Android app, and after some complications I spent 3 weeks sorting out, he's now wanting it to be a web app. :roll: Doing a Masters alongside, I don't have a lot of time for 'out else. I feel like I'm only just starting to learn programming now that I'm in the deep end. So many languages I want to learn, so many I still need to work on.

All good fun though. (y)

Didn't see this thread before :)

I was a programmer for all my working life (all but a bit of bar work before I started). Snowbol (for my sins) on a MicroVax, VBDos, VB, C, C#, java - think that's about it. I say was as I now manage the development infrastructure (which is all cloud based) for a large Swiss government owned company, or I suppose more accurately a division of it. But I still get to program from time to time. Like now as I'm working on a tool in C# for AWS. Actually I'm doing it in Mono on my Mac right this second as I got a bit stir crazy in the spare room so I came down to the living room for a bit!

Out of work I dabble all the time and rarely finish anything. I'm part way through a Vectrex game, part way through an FPGA dev cart for the Vectrex (somewhat stalled), I did start to mess about with coding on the A4000 but the screen updates were so slow it drove me up the wall and just recently I've started to look at doing some homebrew on Atari Asteroids arcade PCB hardware.

But mostly I play stuff like World Of Warcraft. Which thinking about it, might well be why I never finish anything. If there were people physically near me to meet up with and interact with then maybe I might stay a little more focussed and get more done.

Last edited:
Ive been a professional programmer since I left Uni but I started on a ZX Spectrum using its in built basic language :) After the Speccy I did a little on the C64 (very little) before I went over to the Amiga where I found AMOS and then Blitz Basic 2. My first 2 jobs were in the games industry writing C for Elite Systems (Always loved their 8bit games, A BB2 game demo basically got me the job) and then NMS where I wrote the AI and special effects for a racing game. It was a great time to be in games industry as we had new hardware 3d cards turn up almost every week as the industry grew plus the PS1 was new then. After that I went over to the Fruit Machine Industry (Maygay Machines and then Vivid / Barcrest) as they wanted to pay me considerably more money than Code Masters had offered me at the time. The Fruit Machine Industry needed good video programmers as there were none in that industry for a long long time. I remember being horrified when I found the head video programmer was processing every pixel every frame just to print text in another colour :picard He was not doing video for long after I started :p Now thou and for the last 10 years I have been working for a VR company called Maelstrom doing projects for the MOD and ESA. I may now be Technical Director but I still write all the code. C/C++ + DX = lots of fun (y) I still program games in my spare time for my own amusement. My Lunar Jetman remake can be found at www.nebula-design.com along with a little information on my next project.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm working (when I say working, I mean I am building from a uni project that was never completed) on something similar to Iridium myself, for iOS. It has taken a back seat to my Masters and self employment at the moment though. I hope I can find some time for it before Apple ditches Objective-C!!! :LOL: I may rebuild it in Swift when I have the time. It would give me a good reason to learn the new language.

It sounds like there is quite a bit of the programmer and ex-games industry mob hanging around here :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom