Since I've had many questions about recapping, here is my official opinion: Recapping Amiga boards is a MUST, and not an option. I've seen many boards where leaking capacitors have damaged the PCB tracks, causing difficult repairs (look at my thread history for examples).
It's not a question of whether the capacitors are working or not, recap is PREVENTIVE . Electrolyte is a translucent liquid, and can't be spotted until it's too late. It can damage IDE ports, tracks, components, especially in the audio area. Bottom line: The cost of recap is MUCH lower than the cost of repairs. The endangered species are: A3640 CPU cards, A4000D, A4000T/port modules, A1200, CD32 and A600.
A500 and A2000 models are better to recap if the machine fails as those caps seldom leak (they usually dry out). Old barrel batteries should be removed from any models ASAP.
Please note that currently I cannot accept repairs due to lack of time (repairs are very unpredictable) I have a full time job and my queue is more or less full with recaps and upgrades. I recommend to get your motherboard refurbished while fully working to avoid repairs altogether. There is very few people who can do GOOD Amiga rework AND accept repairs for the same reason as myself - so best route is PREVENTION.
There are other places that offer recap, BUT what I guarantee is that you get absolutely correct, professional quality, IPC production level soldering work (take a look at my reference pictures below). I've seen many bad recap jobs with burned connectors, pads and components, or just badly soldered. This does not happen with my work. I use professional tools and supplies, and brand capacitors (Panasonic, Nippon Chemicon, Rubycon etc.). I'm probably not the cheapest, but consider this: Say, if you've owned a vintage Ferrari, would you let your brother in-law - who sometimes works on cars - try repair it, or would you take it to a well known and reputable workshop that has extensive experience and the correct tools to make it perfect?
First, declare interest here on the thread, then send me a PM.
Be prepared to disassemble your system and have high resolution photos ready of your board(s) including close-ups of the caps. I only offer the services that are listed, other services are decided on case-by-case basis.
- A4000D 4000T capacitor replacement service
- Blizzard 1240 -> 1260 upgrade and cooling check, fan speed control
- Cyberstorm MK II 68040->68060 upgrade, cooling check
- Cyberstorm MK I/II/III SIMM socket replacement
- A4000/A3000 and accelerators CPU slot repair (new CPU slot)
- A4000D new RAM sockets with metal clips (if your RAM modules don't stay in their socket anymore)
- A4000D PIO2 upgrade (~30% IDE speed increase)
- A3640, A3630 cpu board capacitor replacement service + polarity fix
- A3640 cpu board upgrade to Rev 3.2 with socketed GALs
- A4000/3000/2000 Zorro slot replacement service
- A4000 FDD read/write problems CIA replacement, new chips + socket
- A4000 Buster 7 or 9 upgrade to Super Buster 11
- A4000 KS ROM 3.1 upgrade
- A4000 IDE/FDD port repair
- A4000 Audio circuit repair
- A4000 battery swap to professional Lithium coin cell kit (will never leak)
- A4000 battery removal and cleanup, (free with any other service IF there is no damage)
- A1200/A600 capacitor replacement service
- A1200/A600 IDE and FDD port replacement service
- A1200 accelerators RAM socket replacement, cooling check, fan speed control
- Track repairs IF the damage is clearly due to damaged tracks/lifted pads.
These are the conditions:
- I always test the board before and after work.
- You must ship the board WELL protected, and ESD safe.
- I follow the queue - first come first serve
- Please understand that this is old hardware and faults could happen ANY TIME.
- I cannot guarantee that I can fix any fault. Many hw. are missing schematics, some logic chip contents are impossible to find etc.
Feedback: Please leave feedback as per the site rules after you've received your stuff. Here is a guide how:
NEW! Please consider my premium packages offered here:
Premium service for Amiga 1200
Premium upgrade service for Amiga 4000
Video of how I do recaps:T
Before cleanup. Clearly, leaking capacitors can cause damage:
After cleanup and soldering new capacitors:
SIMM socket, CPU, and PLCC chip removal:
Fitzsteve complete, shipped tekk complete, shipped Clarkey complete, shipped Lechuck complete, shipped ozymandias complete, shipped EFTPOTRM complete, shipped spaceman complete, shipped SavageToe complete, shipped ting complete, shipped fille1976 complete, shipped Amon_RA complete, shipped mikem complete, shipped TylerD complete, shipped 1NOM155 complete, shipped everblue complete, shipped udihow complete, shipped k0x complete, shipped Juzz complete, shipped RuneRider complete, shipped Wally complete, shipped warr8or29 complete, shipped LoopHead complete, shipped local work x3 boards complete, shipped Whisper complete, shipped local work 1x board complete, shipped Blue-Faith x 2 complete, shipped daloway x 3 complete, shipped local work x 2 boards complete, shipped warr8or29 x 2 CD32 recap complete, shipped local work x 1 A3640 recap complete, shipped Amon_RA x 1 A4000 full refurbish complete, shipped suave x 1 A1200 recap and checkup complete, shipped raketa x 1 A4000 refurbish complete, shipped Jaxx x 1 A1200 recap complete, shipped Local work x 1 A1200 recap complete, shipped Local work x 1 A4000 complete, shipped k0x x 1 A4000T 1xA1200 recap and repair complete, shipped elius1978x 1 x A1200 recap checkup complete, shipped Gouky CS Mk I faulty CPU slot, SIMM sockets, cooling complete, shipped Juzz A4000D recap, sockets, PIO2, RTC refurbish complete, shipped JohnFante A1200 recap, timing fix, RF removal complete, shipped helgebl A4000D refurbish, A600 recap, A3630 recap complete, shipped uunek A4000D refurbish, A3630 recap complete, shipped AndersHP A1200 recap, RF removal complete, shipped joachimrs 2xA4000 diag, A3630 A3640 recap complete, shipped local work A4000D diag, A3630, Cyberstorm PPC diag complete, shipped hoebedoelu 3xA1200 recap, IDE port fix, FDD flicker fix, RF removal complete, shipped Wrangler A4000 riser slot fix, A1200 recap complete, shipped Whisper 2 x A1200 recap complete, shipped local work 1 x A1200 recap complete, delivered local work 2 x A600 recap complete, delivered local work 1 x A4000 2 x A3640 recap, +audio fix complete, delivered local work 1 x A1200 1 x A600 recap complete, delivered fresh46664 Blizzard 040->060 upgrade complete, delivered TGE 1 x CD32 recap complete, delivered daloway 3 x A600 recap complete, waiting for combined shipping local work 1 x A4000T recap complete, delivered local work 1 x CD32 recap complete local work 1 x A4000D recap complete, delivered outside Amibay goldengate 486 repair received ciVic 1 x A4000D 1xA600 recap in transit