Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gotek Floppy Emulator - How to use it?

Country
    Belgium
    Region:
    Gent
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemorf View Post
    Try another USB stick, I had to try 3 different ones before it worked..
    Thank you very much for your answer/suggestion, I really appreciate it!

I've tried with 2 other (older) sticks I had lying around (both 1Gb). Formatting them on FAT32 gave the same problem. I did get an extra format file system on them, though: 'FAT (standard)', which unfortunately didn't work either. I've also tried 'exFAT', to no avail.

Somebody told me I may want to check my CIA chips. Could that be it? This is a 30 year old A500, after all. Although I can still get it to boot some intros from the external 5.25 FDD..

Country
    Boden/Sweden
    Region:
    BD
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

Did it work with the onboard fdd?
    Try changing place on the cia chips.
    Is it properly flashed and jumpered for amiga?

Country
    Belgium
    Region:
    Gent
    Feedback

Unfortunately, I can't test the internal drive, as I have no 3.5 disks. It is making the repeated 'insert disk' noise, though.

And yes, it's supposed to be amiga ready flashed. Can't find much info on the jumpers, though. I'm under the impression they're not that important for end users like me, but I could be wrong..

Does changing those cia chips involve soldering? It does, doesn't it? *sigh*

Country
    Boden/Sweden
    Region:
    BD
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

No the cia chips are in sockets

Country
    Belgium
    Region:
    Gent
    Feedback

Beneath the floppy data connection, and on top of each other, right? So I just wiggle them out with a screwdriver and push the new ones in?

Country
    Hellas (Greece)
    Region:
    Chania, Crete
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyLateur View Post
    Beneath the floppy data connection, and on top of each other, right? So I just wiggle them out with a screwdriver and push the new ones in?
    Definitely not on top of each other. They are marked ODD CIA (A) [far away from the floppy cable] and EVEN CIA (B) [in the floppy cable region].
    The only other large chip close to the floppy cable is Gary.

Country
    Belgium
    Region:
    Gent
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by BLTCON0 View Post
    Definitely not on top of each other. They are marked ODD CIA (A) [far away from the floppy cable] and EVEN CIA (B) [in the floppy cable region].
    Ok thanks, I'll have a look tonight.

Country
    Israel
    Feedback
    43 (100%)

Make sure the 'S0' jumper is present, and remove the 'S1' jumper, if there's any.
    I've seen many pre-flashed Goteks shipped configured as drive 1 instead of 0 (which you need for internal use).

Country
    Belgium
    Region:
    Gent
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by BLTCON0 View Post
    Ok, I localised them (8520A-1). There's one to the lower left of the keyboard connector. The other one sits on top of something else (Gary?), and is located beneath the floppy connector. There's a mini-daughterboard inbetween them. I could post a pic if you like.

Btw, those chips are identical, right? So there's no odd or even chips, but odd and even locations/functionalities? I see no mention of odd/even or A/B on my mobo, btw.

Also, I saw there are multiple variations of this chip, with varying clock frequencies. So maybe it would be possible to replace them with some other (better/faster/more-readily-available) variant?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
    Make sure the 'S0' jumper is present, and remove the 'S1' jumper, if there's any.
    I've seen many pre-flashed Goteks shipped configured as drive 1 instead of 0 (which you need for internal use).
    It came like this: https://cortexamigafloppydrive.files...ek_pcb_top.jpg
    Which appears to be what you're saying. Thanks for the headsup, though.

I must say I'm a little disappointed with the info that came with it. I mean, the documentation on the cd leaves a lot to be desired for. Whatever happened to including a manual/user guide? I had to dig pretty hard to find out which one is the S0 pair -- I can't read it on the drive because the case is over it..

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Btw, those chips are identical, right? So there's no odd or even chips, but odd and even locations/functionalities? I see no mention of odd/even or A/B on my mobo, btw.
    Also, I saw there are multiple variations of this chip, with varying clock frequencies. So maybe it would be possible to replace them with some other (better/faster/more-readily-available) variant?
    Yes, the two chips are identical which is why they can be switched around if you are unsure whether one is broken. There are 1 MHz and 2 MHz versions of those chips, however they will always run at 1 MHz inside the Amiga so there is no difference whether you use one or the other type.

Regarding the quality of the documentation, you basically get what you pay for. You would likely get better documentation if you had bought an HxC instead of a Gotek but then the price is also different..
    A1200 (NOS) : 030 33MHz 128MB fast RAM (ACA1232) : Indivision AGA MkII : 8GB CF : RR USB : Ethernet
    A600 #1 : 080 V2 : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : Indivision ECS : 32GB CF : RR USB
    : Ethernet | A600 #2 : 010 : 2MB chip
    A500 : 68000 42MHz : 1MB chip : 8MB fast : 4GB CF | A500+ : 080 V2+ : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : 32GB CF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast