My A4000 Restoration

Clarkey

Country
England
Region
Suffolk
Hi just thought I would share a few pictures and ask a couple of questions related to my A4000 restoration. I have wanted a 4000 for over 20 years to I am taking my time with it to get it just how I want.

As I found her when I got her home after collecting, I was lucky as although the seller lived a long way from me he had a relative just a few miles down the road from me, I was really pleased with the price and feel it was fair for both of us.

3heGIeJ.jpg

Gruby and yellow.

FcDBwt0.jpg

ePOguZg.jpg

I had asked for pictures of the battery area before buying and it looked to have some mild greening but as the machine was booting I decided to take a punt. I quickly completley dismantled her to access the damage.

VnaqUmG.jpg

Battery snipped off, plenty of green I will post pictures later but luckily a good treatment with lemon juice and then de-ionised water has removed all of it.

FpD7i2O.jpg

The platics (inlcuding keyboard were so yellowed I decided to paint with Tamiya TS spreay.

BgfsBhJ.jpg

The fan noise was hideous so I upgraded fan to a silent one and modified the grill.

5x9UV0d.jpg

epZm5KY.jpg

I added some more venting for better airflow.

DlF94RO.jpg

Added a compact flash HD with Classicworkbench Full until I get a RTG card

V2dO1fQ.jpg

Upgraded to 3.1 roms

3yUOOTY.jpg

All cleaned ready for rebuild.

IJEDfjJ.jpg

Added a big ram plus

dGoot7e.jpg

I will take and add photos of the finished paint and motherboard work tomorrow, next to add is a A3640 3.2 CPU card and a Xsurf 100. Then a RTG card.

I have a couple of questions.

I currently run the Amiga through a Sony Trintron CRT 15khz display which is perfect for games and demos. I would like to run workbench through an RTG card on a seperate LCD or VGA crt screen to increase the resolution, can I do this but still run the games through the CRT ie take vga out from the RTG card and continue to use the onboard video for the CRT TV?

Next question regarding libs,I Currently using classicworkbench v28 with 3.1 disks. What libraries and or tweaks do I need to add to get the most out of the hardware. I assume I will need to the 040 libraries but what ones?

Is there anything else I should be adding software wise to improve things I'm used to the windows world of drivers and I feel I should be setting workbench up to be more tailored to the hardware.

Lastly I have read about updating the GALs on the A4000 motherboard as per below, is this worth doing if so where can I source some?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68992

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions.

Nice work there mate :)

On the CRT question, yes you can run the two screens independently and it will just switch depending on the output, better solution is grab an RTG with flicker fixer integrated such as Picasso 4 or something cheaper like a Picasso 2 which has pass through port and then an Indivision AGA, that way you can hook it up to a nice old 17" CRT monitor and run everything through one screen and it will just auto switch :D

Ah thanks that clears it up a bit. I will keep an eye out for a PicassoIV then as I like the idea of it being on one card.

If anyone else can help with any of the other questions that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

As promissed some after shots, im pleased with how the paint came out, it looks as though the drive bay is a different shade here but its just how the photo has come out.

UJQAQ3Z.jpg

Keyboard came out ok, I just need to retrobrite the logo now when we get some sun.

DXNjAPf.jpg

After lemon juice and de-ionised water treatment.

8ilCQEG.jpg

Xsurf installed

75drlqF.jpg

And big ram plus

X2mQmFl.jpg

Just need some advice with workbench set up questions but i will repost these in technical help area.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice work you have done there :)

Regarding Workbench, if you are using 3.1 or 3.0 you will need to get 68040.library - Just google for it ;)

If you choose OS3.9 the library is included :)

I recently got an A4000 myself and upgraded to an A3640 and am also waiting for a Picasso II which I just bought from someone on Amibay today. Next on my list is a Bigram and maybe an X Surf.

Mine is horribly yellow, I was going to retr0brite it but after seeing yours I may consider spraying it . Also looking for an original A4000 keyboard as the one i'm using is a badly yellowed keyboard from my A2000.

Very nice paint. I want to spray my A4000D also. Keyboard is sprayed too? I guess white matte spray right?

Last edited:
Thanks, I can recommend the big ram plus, I am still in the process of getting the xsurf running. I mainly wanted it to browse network shares on my home network. Its handy to get online as well although its not very usable at my current screen resolution.

In regards to the paint I used, Tamiya TS-27 Matt White gives a perfect finish, Tamiya paints are incredibly thin so you don't lose any of the detail in the surface of the plastic.

Cheers

Nice work you have done there :)

Regarding Workbench, if you are using 3.1 or 3.0 you will need to get 68040.library - Just google for it ;)

If you choose OS3.9 the library is included :)

I recently got an A4000 myself and upgraded to an A3640 and am also waiting for a Picasso II which I just bought from someone on Amibay today. Next on my list is a Bigram and maybe an X Surf.

Mine is horribly yellow, I was going to retr0brite it but after seeing yours I may consider spraying it . Also looking for an original A4000 keyboard as the one i'm using is a badly yellowed keyboard from my A2000.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed my new Rapid Road USB today

LrE8tEx.jpg

esm4veQ.jpg

Now to crack on and get workbench running how I want.

Last edited:
Your Amiga is slowly but gradually expanding, that's really good. It's going to be a beast in a blink of an eye ;) I like the job a lot. Drop me a line if you'd like any help in configuring AmigaOS/Workbench. I'll gladly help ;)

Last edited:
Thanks mate, gradually getting there, now I finnaly have enough bits in place to really get things set up i'm digging into the software sie of things and enjoying plenty of good .mod files :)

Hope all is well with you.

Your Amiga is slowly but gradualy expanding, that's really good. It's going to be a beast in a blink of an eye ;) I like the job a lot. Drop me a line if you'd like any help in configuring AmigaOS/Workbench. I'll gladly help ;)

I'm fine, thanks :) You'll have a lot to catch up if it comes to *.mods :D
http://pt1210.kikencorp.com

Checks these packs ;)
http://amp.dascene.net

Thanks will check them out, the boards are going away for a recap so I will be without the machine for a short time.

Has anyone found a good source for either new correct length ide leads or preferably replacement round ones?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom