2x5 angled pin header on 9 pin VGA solder points

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
As I am expecting a Piccolo SD64 to arrive tome, I have begun to think that it would be a nice and neat solution to connect an Indivision to the Piccolo within the case instead of using a loop cable.

The VGA-in port solder points are visible on the back side of the Piccolo and I thought there just might be enough space for an angled 2x5 pin header there. There are two problems, though: how to solder a 10 pin header to 9 pin solder points and how to get this thing to work with the Indivision VGA header pinout?

Now which of these two would be more viable solution:
  1. Hot glue a 2x5 pin non angled header to a suitable place on Piccolo's backside and connect that to the VGA solder points with a correctly pinned ribbon cable, then use a pin-to-pin ribbon cable to connect the Piccolo and Indivision.
  2. Just directly solder a ribbon cable with ribbon cable connector to Piccolo's VGA solder points.

Anything else to consider?

@prototek

you will need the pinout for 9 PIN table, its just a pass through so you could just get a 15pin VGA to 9pin RGB adapter.

you must make sure you get the right pinout or you could damage both the cards.

Although the Indivision has 10 pins I am pretty sure it only uses 9 of them

IMPORTANT YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR PINOUTS

The following links to provide a standard 15 pin VGA pinout and 9 pin VGA pinout

Although the above are VGA standards this doesn't mean that the 9pin input for the Piccolo is going you will need to do some more research to ensure the correct pinout.

You can use a multi-meter in continuity mode to buzz the pinout of the Indivision from the 15pin VGA header, once you have that you will know what wire should go to where.

From this you could make a simple internal connection from the wire-loop that connects to the indivision socket.

I do stress: unless you want to see 30awg being used as fuse wire and promptly errupting into flames, make sure your pinouts are correct.

@Zetr0
Warnings duly noted. :) Don't really want to have a dead Piccolo at my hands. I found the pinout for Indivision from EAB forum. I should be able to measure the pinout of the Piccolo VGA in by creating this chain: Indivision -> Indivision VGA out -> Piccolo 15 to 9 pin loop cable -> Piccolo. If I then test the continuity directly from the Indivision VGA header to Piccolo VGA in solder points, I should be on safe waters.

Back
Top Bottom