Amiga 3000 120V to 220V PSU conversion

zone

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Surrey
Hi,

Does anyone know if a standard A3000D PSU can be converted from 120V to 220V by reworking the internals in some way?

Thanks

Yes, it can be converted from 120V to 220V and vice versa (been there, done that).
If I recall correctly, there is a thick jumper wire inside the PSU soldered to 120V through-hole pin/via which has to be removed for 220V.

... you're welcome.

Last edited:
Thank you Hese for your tip (y). My friend and I successfully turned my new beautiful A3000D's PSU 120V into 220V :thumbsup2:

It really is that simple as you described, although was scary when it came to turn it on for the first time (with the mobo disconnected of course so in case something went wrong only the PSU would smoke, but still...). But it nicely started on the European voltage and all measures on the big plug were correct. Then connected to the Amiga itself powered it up showing wonderful kickstart welcome picture (and now working with two hard drives and loaded with fancy cards) :D

Here are some photos taken before and after the whole "operation":

A3000D PSU 120V sticker.jpg A3000D PSU Top view.jpg A3000D PSU Close view to 110V jump wire - soldered.jpg A3000D PSU Close view to 110V jump wire - unsoldered.jpg A3000D PSU 110V jump wire other end view.jpg A3000D PSU Close view to 110V jump wire - unsoldered 2.jpg A3000D PSU bottom of the PCB.jpg A3000D PSU 220V working proof.jpg

And here's fully assembled (do not mind crappy un-configured Workbench) and with a small addition showing the internal temperature:

A3000D assembled on a desk.jpg A3000D temperature inside.jpg

It has been running for more than four years now without any problems, but I will replace this component (varistor RV21) anyway, just in case.
Thanks for the tip!

Amazing! My friends in US told me it would die quickly if you were not replacing it at the same time.... great component! :D

Yeah. Maybe because it's the 275 V unit? 🤔
Either way, I'm glad it did not break. But with this knowledge, I'm afraid to turn it on again 😅

Haha classic! Sorry for that!
It's a friend of mine in US (Rod Whitney) who attracted my attention onto that as I told him it was very easy to convert by just cutting a wire... He said, hold on... No! Haha.

Amazing! My friends in US told me it would die quickly if you were not replacing it at the same time.... great component! :D
I really should get around to replacing mine too. It's been a good 3-4 years after I converted to 240v too.

Back
Top Bottom