BenQ BL702A - perfect monitor for amigas?

torm3nt8r

Country
Austria
Region
Carinthia
hello,
i have tested this monitor with my mist fpga - and i was very suprised - this monitor handles all resolution i have tested - 576p, 576i, 480i, 240p on pc-engine core...
all 15khz modes works on this monitor (50 and 60 hz)
so if you want to buy a new monitor - this could be a very good choice...
regards
torm3nt8r

yes, 100% sure..
monitor info also say 480i,576i,...

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

that screen shot says 50hz not 15hz

can you connect to a real amiga to confirm ?

at the moment i cannot connect a real amiga...
(screen shows 576i)

576i is only the resolution, 576 lines interlaced.
the important factor is if the horizontal frequency output is 15khz!! the mist could be doubling it to 30khz within reach normal monitor frequencies

Last edited:
at the moment i cannot connect a real amiga...
(screen shows 576i)

576i is only the resolution, 576 lines interlaced.
the important factor is if the horizontal frequency output is 15khz!! the mist could be doubling it to 30khz within reach normal monitor frequencies

yes, mist fpga normally output 576p - then monitor info also shows 576p....
but there is an ini file for 15khz - with this ini file the resolution change and monitor show 576i..
(next week i will test the 15khz with vga to scart cable on amiga monitor)
more tests with pictures follow tomorrow...

Very interesting if the Benq can really sync to 15 kHz.
Can you check your Mist with 15 kHz settings to another monitor that does not support 15 kHz to ensure?
In the past I had old EIZO FlexScan L768 that could also sync to 15 kHz, but there was permanent warning osd message displayed also.
If would be great to have this monitor for real Amiga without the need of scandoubler, with just amiga-video to vga adapter needed.

Last edited:
PC-Engine Core at 15 Khz...
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 7
connected mist fpga with minimig vga scart cable to my rgb monitor - with same settings as to benq - so this must be real 15khz....

IMG_0387.jpg

Great you made the test. Now it is a question if the quality of the signal of the mist is comparable to connecting real amiga output rgb thru vga adapter.
What do you think of the picture quality? Is it clear or are there some distortions? And what about the lcd response time, is it ok with fast scrolling games like turrican 3?

Last edited:
screenshots shows mist with 15khz - so this should be same as real amiga rgb
picture quality is really good...monitor upscales very well...
lcd response time is also not bad - scrolling is very smooth.....

rgbMist3.jpgrgbMist2.jpgrgbmist1.jpg

:tantrum: You're a month late though, it sounds like it would have been cheaper than buying the XPC-4 from Japan :LOL:

I'll have to order one and see what they're like with my machines. Certainly the aspect ratio is better than the current monitor I am using (y)

Many of the Dell LCDs that happily do 15kHz, 24kHz, and 27kHz mention a minimum 31kHz in their specs but still work just fine :)
I use a Dell 2001FP. It's a 4:3 LCD that displays everything I throw at it... Ntsc, pal, dblntsc/dblpal, super72, highgfx.. Beautifully deinterlaced to boot.

Can you check your DELL with Amiga 3000? In Interlace mode my EIZO displays picture with a black bar at the top of the screen, and a flickering line below this bar. The same with Philips 221V and HP L1950g monitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom