Is the SID in the C128 the old version ?

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I hooked up my C128 today and played some games on it.

I tested Ghostbusters and unlike on my C64C the speech is loud and perfect just like on a breadbox C64. I thought that all C128's had the newer SID like the C64C but I guess mine has the older version no ?

if you want to find out just pop the lid off and read whats on it...

it isnt true that the later sids are quieter,as far as im concerned its down to the audio circuit in the machine.

i believe the 'low-profile' C128 is a 6581 and the 128D(CR) model is an 8580

Last edited:
My C128 and C128 both have 6581. I think SaviorX is correct about the D(CR) but I've never seen one.

Sorry for the 6 months late reply :)

My 128D, bought in early September 1986, has the 6581 in it.
Recently I tried to find a machine with 8580 in my collection, but couldnt!
Apparently, all my C64's (breadbox & wedge), C128 and 128D machines have the old SID.

Flat C128's have a 6581 SID, the C128 DCR had an 8580.

Very underrated and cool C64 variant :) Excellent Basic, and a great keyboard and access to 80 column mode if wanted :)

it should be noted there are 2 versions of the 128D

the 'regular' D model and the (CR) version (cost-reduced)....the (CR) has a metal casing and some internal differences (ie: some different chips)...

Hi
sorry to interrupt but I was a old past C128 flat version owner and inside were a new SID I guessed since the samples were sort of down volume.I even broke it thinking it was malfunctioning specially when you were playing Dragon's Lair 2 (the big ball following you....music) the music seemed to miss a voice channel...it was before and I regret it a lot
Was I stupid ?
Yet I am still.....

Back
Top Bottom