Country
    France
    Region:
    Paris
    Feedback
    119 (100%)

Default Any Palm devices expert here?

Hi.

I need help from fellow PalmOS users because i have now forgotten a large amount of my expertise with PalmOS and 90% of ressources that used to be on the internet has been lost now.

I have a Sony Clié TH55 PDA (european version with Wifi AND Bluetooth) and i am using it for both professional and personnal purpose since 2004.

If most of what this device is capable is now being done by more recent stuf (smartphone), i still use only the Clié for my Agenda/Calendar. The reason is i have never seen better than Agendus Pro on Android or anything else, and that this PDA is still synced with Agendus for Windows on my computers.
    I have more than 11 years of professional Agenda on it, with personnal icons for each day.
    This is invaluable data i can't lose.

However, my Clié is now aging. The battery is degrading, the digitizer is not so accurate.

I have been able to buy two PalmOS 5 devices NOS, a Palm LifeDrive and a Palm Tungsten TX. These devices are more recent that the Sony one. They are a bit better and definitly in better shape.

I need to use one of them to transfer all my data with no loss, and be fine for the next 10 years.

Problem is i can't reproduce what i have done the last time i migrated from one Palm to another in 2004.

I have tried to sync the whole device with my current Palm Desktop, but this leads the TX into an infinite reboot loop. I tried to install software first, but my usual version of Agendus 8 seems to not be compatible. I have found Agendus 11 somewhere, but i fear it would break my personal icons, and i haven't been able to sync the data anyway (not to mention it seems Agendus licence can't be found anymore).

There is no more Palm board to get help from on the internet by 2015 unfortunately.

So, if someone here is in the same situation than me, i would appreciate any help to properly migrate to the TX (or Lifedrive).
    I NEED 100% of my Agendus data, including proper icons on the monthly view.

I will just add that Palm devices on 64 bits Windows must be synced only by Bluetooth, as the data cable can't work anymore.
    That's why i haven't been able to find a better Clié TH55 to replace mine. I have only found a USA version, which works fine, but has no Bluetooth from factory, and is impossible to sync on modern PC OS.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Xanxi; 13th May 2015 at 15:17.
    A4000/CSMKII60/C643D/Deneb/CatWeasel/A2386/STBNitro/SB16/MT32
    A500+/Viper520CD/KCSPowerPC

Country
    United States
    Region:
    NY
    Feedback
    27 (100%)

Hi,

Former Palm Treo 700p users. Loved that smartphone and loved the fact I didn't have to purchase a dataplan and get marketed to like crazy.

I can only guess, but I would try using Windows XP as the OS for syncing to it and see if that works first. I know that Windows XP is compatible with Palm Desktop.

The only other thing you can do which will work perfectly is install Companion Link on your 64 bit windows box and it will sync perfectly with you palm device.

See:
    http://www.companionlink.com/pimtopim/

Good luck!

Matt3k
    Last edited by matt3k; 13th May 2015 at 16:37.

Country
    France
    Region:
    Paris
    Feedback
    119 (100%)

Hi.

Thanks for the advice.
    That may be a solution to sync the USA Clié TH55 with no bluetooth, but my priority is to use one of the newer devices. I have no problem to sync them in bluetooh, only to get the data into them and have them working.
    A4000/CSMKII60/C643D/Deneb/CatWeasel/A2386/STBNitro/SB16/MT32
    A500+/Viper520CD/KCSPowerPC

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Nordrhein Westfalen
    Feedback
    79 (100%)

I used Palm right up to the Tungsten and then moved to iPaq / WinCE. I found that the linux sync software could do a lot more than the windows versions could. If you have a linux dist installed, check out what Palm software is still on offer.

Bryce.

Extr3m3ly l33t Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Glyfada/Athens
    Feedback
    72 (100%)

Xanxi my friend my expertise was a lot back then but I never use my old trusty Palm m505 anymore (expect charging it and decharging it every once and a while).
    I always loved Clie but also Lifedrive and Tungsgtens

First of all you can't loose any data, as everything are stored in the .db files on the installation folder (assuming you made a recent hotsync).
    Just be sure you get a copy of the whole Palm folder so even if something gets screwed you still have a backup of the old Hotsync backup outside your device.
    I always used Palm Desktop and Windows XP as I never had issues with them. I always synced via USB although I tried serial and it was working as well.

Perhaps the reboot loop is just for applications of clie not being compatible with the Tungsten or Livedrive.
    Visit my Amiga Blog: http://www.mfilos.com
    - A600: Vampire V2, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad USB, Ratte's auto RTG/ECS switch, Gotek w/HxC-LCD + Slim floppy (internal)