MagicMem application and FastRam requirements for OS 3.9

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Also posted this on A.org, thought I would see what you guys throught.

Anyone have any experience with using the MagicMem application for anything other than a DKB1202 fast ram board? I understand how it works but I am wondering if it will work with any other boards.

I am buying an Apollo 1230 Turbo Lite (LC) accelerator that has a max of 8 megs ram. Sadly over 4 megs it conflicts with the PCMCIA slot. So, if I have it fitted with an 8 meg simm, can MagicMem automatically lower the available ram down to 5.5 megs for PCMCIA usage like it can with the DKB1202?

Anyone ever tried MagicMem with a different ram board or accel?

Also, I have been thinking of installing OS 3.9 and according to the official requirements it requires minimum 6 megs fast ram. Is this correct? Will it not work with 4 megs, or 5.5? From the previous question you can see where I am going with this.

Playing with WinUAE I see that 3.9 will work just fine with 4 megs fast ram. Seems that the dock application eats a fair bit of it though. 8 megs would be more ideal.

But, MagicMem...Anyone with any thoughts on this?

I think you may find this app is DKB1202 specific.

It may pay you to seek out a Blizzard 1230 Mk IV board. That way you can run OS 3.9, no interference on the PCMCIA slot as it can handle upto 128mb (256mb if you have the SCSI board for it) and 100% software compatibility.

Well, the Apollo is on its way from a forum member here and I got it for a very good price (compared to what you might see offered here in the States).

I will probably move up to an 060 board later this year and put the Apollo in another machine.

If the best I can do is 4 megs fast while preserving PCMCIA use, then so be it.

Though I wouldn't mind a few megs more...

Back
Top Bottom