Hardware Pr0n II: An Amiga 3000 Story

Iirc Battery 'Acid' is actually an Alkali, the lemon juice is mildly acidic.
Once you put the lemon juice on where the battery has leaked, it will froth a little, neutralizing the acid.
Used this on my 500's that had leaky batterys (500+ and a 4mb ram card with a battery)

That's interesting, thanks. (y)

I might ask someone with access to IPC standards to see if this is covered, I wonder if someone has determined if it's necessary to neutralize before cleaning.

What, the stuff in the lemon shaped bottle? Jif Lemon or whatever it's called? I always thought that was diluted and therefore no good. But to be fair I like neither lemons or pancakes so I'm no expert :LOL:

That's exactly the stuff I used, Jif Lemon. It really brought up a shine on the corroded pins of the Amiga custom chips. The A3000 is still going strong, although I've not powered her up in a few weeks.

As folks above have said, the reason for the lemon juice is to neutralise the battery acid. Mild damage can probably be cleared away with IPA, but in this A3000, the battery had sprayed goo everywhere. Lemon juice reacts with the battery acid and makes some water-soluble salts that are easily washed away.

And yes, the term 'battery acid' is colloquial for the goo inside a battery. Even though most domestic batteries are alkaline ones, it's still often referred to as 'battery acid' :LOL:

Interesting that she's 1.03x an A3000. Clearly something's a little nippier than on a normal A3000.

!

Would be the extra ram I think, 2mb was standard.

I'd be surprised if it's just sheer quantity, the original 1+1 configuration shouldn't really be a slowdown unless you're trying to run lots of stuff. I guess it's possible though, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom