Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So, following on from this thread:
/showthread.php?t=6275

I've finally got round to giving my A3000 some attention:

sockets.jpg

Shiny new sockets installed, courtesy of a friendly Solder Tech L10 at work.

bathtime.jpg

It's bathtime for three lovely ladies! Agnus, Denise and Paula share an acid-bath in some lemon juice.

chips.jpg

Old chips, new sockets!

motherboard.jpg

An A3000 motherboard in all its glory, after all the chips have been replaced.

desktop.jpg

And does she work? HELL YES! 2MB Chip and 3.5MB Fast (The other 0.5 Fast will have been MMU'd out for the superkickstart image)

sysinfo.jpg

And finally, the obligatory Sysinfo shot. Everyone loves these, right? Interesting that she's 1.03x an A3000. Clearly something's a little nippier than on a normal A3000.

Next stage will be some work on the case. The old girl has been battered to hell, poor soul. I'm thinking maybe a respray in black. What do you guys reckon? More photos as and when I next get a chance to give her some attention!

nice.. more pics.. :D

I was gonna do a photo booth story with a 4000T i got last year, its been sitting on the shelf awaiting all the bits i have to install.>

Amiga tech 4000T
Cyberstorm mk2 060
picasso IV with concierto sound
highway + norway

and a few drives etc..

Just not had the time..:Doh:

Just not had the time..:Doh:

I know the feeling, mate. It's taken me months to get round to this, but I'm glad I have, and I'm overjoyed that the old girl has sprung back into action. I was worried for a while that she might have been a lost cause, but some new sockets have given her a new lease of life!

Andy,

Good it is going! In black it won't be original. I would not do it, but hey it's youre computer, if you like it that way...

Some people on here do it with there A12000, but that is a more "stock" unit to play with I think. I have one A500 tower planning in gas pipe red.. = out of original case but can be put back

Jurgen

Soaking the chip in Lemon Juice? Does that not hold too much sugar? I always use cleaning vinegar to clean boards. Cleaning vinegar has no added flavouring. Maybe a little like distilled malt vinegar (the clear one, not the brown one :) )

Soaking the chip in Lemon Juice? Does that not hold too much sugar? I always use cleaning vinegar to clean boards. Cleaning vinegar has no added flavouring. Maybe a little like distilled malt vinegar (the clear one, not the brown one :) )

All I can tell you is that I used lemon juice and seemingly it's done the trick. To be fair, I think the Amiga custom chips are a darn sight tougher than folks give 'em credit for :)

The A3000D is one of the best looking amiga cases, . To me anyway. Some day, I will own an A3000D. Congrats on the nice work.

Regarding the case.. as Zetr0 would say, black is one of the hardest colours to get right. You will have to use some vinyl dye on the plastics to keep the texture and then standard black paint (satin) on the metal case. No gloss imosho.
But if it was my A3000D, and I only had one A3000D then I would have to paint it as close to original as possible.

Excellent AMIGA 3000, good work.
Now you can change your signature: "A3000 - Still needs work..." or do you have other work to make inside? :)

Excellent AMIGA 3000, good work.
Now you can change your signature: "A3000 - Still needs work..." or do you have other work to make inside? :)

The case needs some love, since it's bashed up pretty bad. Also my A4000 has a Super Buster -11 coming, the -09 that I remove from the A4000 will probably replace the -07 that's currently in the A3000.

Next post will be some case photos!

Bloody brilliant :D

My 3000, which died in 1997, has had so so much attention to try and fix including new sockets, etc, but still is dead. I shall one day return to it, and fix it: this thread has given me hope (y)

It's bathtime for three lovely ladies! Agnus, Denise and Paula share an acid-bath

Zetr0's just made a bit of a mess...

ahh.. yeah... :rainbow:

good sequel, but not as long as the first episode....

now when can we expect episode III ??

not to think of Directors cut/Special extended edition ;-)

As promised, here are some case photos. Apologies for the lighting conditions, but you get the idea:

Amiga logo:
amiga.jpg

Floppy disk fascia:
floppies.jpg

Side of the case:
side.jpg

Top corner:
corner.jpg

As you can see, she really has been through the wars, poor thing. So, she really does need some attention on the case. So, I was originally thinking black would be quite nice. If she'd been in good nick, I'd never have considered respraying, but given she's in such a bad shape and needs a respray one way or the other, I thought I might go for something a bit different. So, what do you guys reckon, now that you've seen the extent of the damage?

well at one point I might get me one of my own.. if the price is right :)

how about making it yellow ?.. not retr0yellow, but real shiney yellow..

or navy blue.. shiney :yourock:

It's OK, Tahoe; Andy is using the right stuff as I advised him to use it.

Lemon juice (or more correctly, Citric Acid) is used quite widely in metalplating and engineering as a metal brightener, especially for Aluminium and it's alloys. I saw it used extensively at BNFL Springfields, for brightening and cleaning Al/Mg alloy Magnox fuel cans for Wylfa nuclear power station - they always came out super shiny!

Science bit over.....(y)

Andrew, what about doing just Retr0bright on the front fascia and spray the original colour on the metal case parts?

An A3000 is a beauty machine, please quit the idea of changing it.

Oh, and a bit of sandpaper on the indentations can make it look less battered.

My £0.02.

Andrew, what about doing just Retr0bright on the front fascia and spray the original colour on the metal case parts?

An A3000 is a beauty machine, please quit the idea of changing it.

Oh, and a bit of sandpaper on the indentations can make it look less battered.

My £0.02.

My thoughts exacty. My 2 cents, AUD, ... converts to about £0.01

Back
Top Bottom