Acorn Electron PSU replacement

cercamon

Country
Switzerland
Region
Ticino
Hi all,

I just bought an Acorn Electron here on AmiBay, unit only. I was told to use an old laptop PSU as a replacement, 19V and 1A or more.
I've found one of these in my spare parts basket case and it all seems working fine. I can turn on the Electron
and use it without problem. I didn't even have to replace plug on the Electron side of the PSU as it fits perfectly fine (standard plug).

On the PSU it is printed:
"DC Output 18-21 V === 120W max (19 V / 4.7 A)"

My question is: is this PSU ok in the long run? I mean, it all works fine now, but can I be sure that the PSU doesn't damage the Electron after weeks or months of usage?

Thank you.
Cercamon

I had a Electron back in the early 90's and as far as I remember it required a 15v AC PSU. It should tell you on the label what supply voltage it requires. You should look for a PSU that suits the machine as soon as possible.

EDIT:A quick Google gives the answer you need. Referring to THIS page, the PSU you are using will end up damaging the computer. The Electron has a AC input with circuitry inside the computer to rectify and regulate the AC voltage. It can be MODIFIED to run off a 12v DC power supply, not run straight off a 19v DC PSU.

Last edited:
My Elk has been running off a bog standard laptoo power supply without any issues for over a year (not always on, obviously), so yes, it can run straight of 19V DC.

The official PSU was rated at 18V AC 1A if i recall.

Last edited:
I'm really confused... Some web sites report output should be 19V 1A DC, others 19V AC 13A (consumption 1A), or 18V AC 1A, etc.
Some say that the label on the official transformer is only: OUTPUT 19V ~ 14 Watts (INPUT is of course 220/240V AC ~ 50Hz)

Can't find a picture of the original PSU that came in the original box. Maybe the official manual/user guide of the Electron could help.

No need to be worried or confused. First off, the PSU you're using is fine and won't damage you Elk in any way, no matter how long you use it. The Electron was made for a 19VAC PSU, but it has a complete rectification and regulation circuit inside that converts this to the voltages that the computer requires. This circuit can take AC or DC and anything between 15V and 22V, so your chosen PSU is fine for long term too. The amps value stated on a PSU is what it can supply, the computer still only takes what it needs, so the amps are irrelevant as long as the PSU can supply more amps than the computer needs.

Bryce.

Well, thank you Bryce.

This really solve many doubts in my mind, thanks.
I've found the official Electron User Guide in PDF and that confirms the 19V AC PSU and the internal circuit that acts as a converter.

Back
Top Bottom