Classic workbench on A4000T

Wrangler

Country
UK
Region
Harrow, London
Hi folks,

I am trying to set up a new (to me) A4000T AT version. The problem is I can't get it to boot from the workbench floppies (v3.0 is what I'm working from). Now the A4000T came with a working copy of WB3.9 on it (but I don't know exactly how this was set up originally which is why I want to start again from scratch). I've copied workbench.library from libs: to the floppy libs directory but booting from floppy fails at loadwb with an invalid resident library error. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? I thought copying across workbench.library is all that's needed?

Thanks

OS 3.9 requires Kickstart 3.1 roms or it will give the invalid resident library error. You either need 3.1 roms or use something such as Blizkick (http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/BlizKick) as a work around. If this is happening while trying to load Workbench 3.0 from floppy disk then I am not sure why it's doing that.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes this is with 3.1 roms (40.70) and happens trying to boot from wb 3.0. It's really weird...

I didn't think there was a v40.68 for the A4000T - as it offloads workbench.library to libs: ?

Last edited:
I'm coming to the conclusion that the rom checks the version of workbench.library when it attempts to access it and if it isn't the version number it's expecting, it craps out even if workbench.library is a higher version than expected. Is this possible? Seems a weird way to run version control but it would explain why workbench.library from OS3.9 is not acceptable.

The 3.9 ROM update could still be active, try turning off the machine before booting from the floppy.

And if you need it, Amigakit sells WB3.1 sets (with A4000T support).

Edit:
On second thought I agree, you need the workbench.library from 3.1, not the one from 3.9.

Last edited:
Solved: Yep, it turns out that you need workbench.library from 3.1 or 3.0 for WB3.0 to boot at all - workbench.library from OS3.9 fails. Weird but true. Frodegh, thanks for the help on this!

Back
Top Bottom