Scandoublers difference: Picasso IV SD or Indivision AGA?

jack-3d

kLik me
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Brno
I am wondering what scandoubler to choose for A4000?

I have experience with Micronik and CV643D scandoublers and both were not good for AGA games and demos. They also did not support LCDs well and no flickerfixering. Now I have Indivision AGA MK2, picture is fine (24 bit is perfect for games and demos), but I am not able to setup margins well on my monitor. Anyway I am wondering how is Picasso4 Scandoubler/Flickerfixer comparing to Indivision AGA MK2? Does PIV SD have 24 bit color just like IndiAGA?

Can not speak for picasso 4 but i use a video magican which is perfect once it warms up

scandoubler compserv arxxon 1 or 2 the best AGA sc for amiga 4000 video slot

OK thank you for your advices, but still if there are Picasso IV owners please describe how is the built-in scandoubler comparing to others ;o)

Well, Picasso IV does not have a real scandoubler, it's like a capture card, wich work with Cirrus Logic VPORT it uses the 4mb onboard for picture buffer. The logic you find translates up to 24 bit rgb into VPORT protocol. The 29f010 keeps the config for capture, and its controlled by picasso96 software. In terms of flexibility it's very good. in terms of image, it's worst than a normal scandoubler (not noticeable). Indivision is a real scandoubler, the best one on the market, in terms of hardware. Software to control indi could be better. I tested them both. IMHO, I think the real scandoubler is better than PIV, like CV64 3D or any other mentioned above.

I'm interested to know what you mean by the CV64 3D not being good for AGA games and demos or on LCD?

It works perfectly for me on all 6 of my LCD screens and have never had an issue with it scan-doubling the AGA output on any demo or game I've ever run (I'll give you the point that it isn't a flicker-fixer though...).

Last edited:
CV643D scandoubler is not bad for applications and some games, but in many demos you can see color maps instead of nice gradients, effect glitches and similar. Believe me, I had few of them and all worked the same.

Cv64 3d original scandoubler not support 24bit :) that mean not support AGA

ONLY scanmagic DCE internal support 24bit AGA and compserv scandoubler

I have Compserv and Arxon both SC are brillant quality full 24bit

Last edited:
CV64 3d SD is full 24bit, it has 3 8 bit memories. If you are seeing bands, that might be a monitor characteristic. Because on crt you don't see them and I didn't see them on my Dell 24". I like CV64 SD better than PIV. When I had my 4000T I tested them both at the same time.
https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?56077-Just-couldn-t-resist If you overclock , it can go faster than a PIV. I prefer the CV64/3d

Back
Top Bottom