CD32 Lifted Solder Pad - Advice On How to Fix

wmsteele

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
Was going to happen at some point, I've replaced hundreds of SMD caps now... tonight I lifted my first one :Doh:

Following the trace it looks like I can fix with a small patch wire to any of the red circles, would this work?

BlB2bA4l.jpg

(CD32 Board Rev 4.1)

Last edited:
That should work OK, but check the track first with a multimeter on Ohms or continuity (bleeper) to make sure that the sites you have marked are for the same track (they appear to be looking at the picture). Also how bad is the pad damage? it looks bad but is that the pad sticking up, if so you may be able to carefully tease it back down and with some Araldite resin type glue stick it back in place. If that is do-able then let it cure and don't overheat the pad when fitting the cap or it will smoke or lift the pad again (both bad for you). I would also add a little hot glue to stop any extra strain on the cap from coming loose and taking the other pad with it.

A Small patch wire will do the trick ,take to the first via bud just tack the wire onto the cap before you put it on the board and perhaps a dab of glue to hold that side down, you could try replacing the pad but you will need a high temp epoxy to make sure it sticks to the mobo

Thanks chaps, looks like I will be able to fix this with a little patch wire. Will get myself organised and post a pic of the results...

Thanks chaps, looks like I will be able to fix this with a little patch wire. Will get myself organised and post a pic of the results...

DO not be hard on yourself :). These CD32 caps are pretty visious and you have just lifted what was already in the air propably :).

Haven't been able to test as I'm short of a few caps but looks passable...

biGqVeml.jpg

Just need a blob of hot glue to keep everything in place :)

Last edited:
Was still having issues with this CD32 after a recap and fitting a new cd laser unit, loading original and cdr titles was very hit and miss, no amount of tweaking the laser pot resulted in a reliable setup. After spending ages troubleshooting I decided to have a look under the metal shield above the cd unit, was surprised (or not!) to find another collection of 15 caps, 4 of which were looking decidedly bloated! Not good, the CD32 sure is full of surprises.

I’m going to replace all the cd controller caps as well, just need to wait on some of the caps arriving… fingers crossed this results in a reliable restoration. Can post some pictures if anyone is interested, or a list of the caps required if it would be useful??

Last edited:
Before...
P1020866.jpg P1020861.jpg

The board after the caps have been removed, still needs a good clean...
P1020870.jpg P1020871.jpg

Caps needed are..
  • 1 x 2.2uf 50v
  • 1 x 4.7uf 35v
  • 1 x 47uf 6.3v
  • 2 x 33uf 6.3
  • 4 x 100uf 16v
  • 6 x 10uf 16v
Cap locations...
  • C102 - 4.7uf 35v
  • C103 - 10uf 16v
  • C104 - 33uf 6.3
  • C108 - 100uf 16v
  • C117 - 10uf 16v
  • C118 - 10uf 16v
  • C121 - 10uf 16v
  • C123 - 47uf 6.3v
  • C128 - 10uf 16v
  • C129 - 10uf 16v
  • C130 - 100uf 16v
  • C201 - 100uf 16v
  • C202 - 100uf 16v
  • C203 - 2.2uf 50v
  • C211 - 33uf 6.3v

Last edited:
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, i have a question about this same cd board.... By cd32 reads disks fine but im in the process of total recapping, cd board caps included. My question is, will the laser need calibration after the cd board recap? If it does id rather leave the old caps in place since i dont have the proper equipment for that.

Just to mention that the lens has supposedly been replaced with a new one from the seller i bought the cd32 from, if that makes any difference. Maybe the seller calibrated after the replacement but with the old caps in place, i dont really know.

Last edited:
I messed about with the laser pot endlessly but I didn’t touch the 4 pots on the CD board after recapping. CD worked just fine, still is :)

Thank you for replying to my question. I will go forward with the cd board recapping afterall. ;)
So you mentioned you messed with the laser pot, is that because you installed a new laser or does it have to do with the recapping itself?

Last edited:
I spent some time trying to persuade the old one to work, with some success but never perfect, particularly with CDRs. Eventually ordered a new laser and it worked perfectly although did need a slight adjustment (this was installed last, after all the caps were done).

- - - Updated - - -

Some good info here... http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84408

Thanx for the info, I have replaced lasers on pcengine cdrom2 drives in the past.

Any idea on what this addon thing in the back of our boards is? (little pcb wired on the main board)

Last edited:
I'm not sure, its only on some boards, possibly a fix that was later integrated?

Thank you for replying to my question. I will go forward with the cd board recapping afterall. ;)
So you mentioned you messed with the laser pot, is that because you installed a new laser or does it have to do with the recapping itself?

The original caps on the CD board are good quality through-hole parts and aren't under any particular stress as the aren't being used to stabilise a heavily loaded power rail, so I wouldn't touch them unless you are really having problems with the drive, even after swapping the laser.

Bryce.

Back
Top Bottom