Dr_Diesel

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Country
Ireland
Region
Galway
Hi,

I'm looking for one of these IEEE488 acoustic couplers, must be in working condition (yes I actually want to use it!) :smile:

There was a wanted thread for one of these a few years ago which got zero replies, so I'm not too hopeful, but if you have one to offer, please do get in touch.

Cheers!

8010.gif

I started that original 'wanted' thread all those years ago, and to date, have had zero luck. Would never have imagined that this modem would be as difficult to find, as it is. I even posted on a number of other Commodore and vintage computer related sites, but to no avail, as of yet.

2 have popped up on Ebay U.S. in the last 2 years. One in 2013, which sold for a meager $35 U.S. (and my computer locked up, thus missed bidding). The second one, last month, sold for an unbelievable and, actually quite ridiculous $310 U.S. I stupidly tried to bid on that as well, but yet again, my bid wouldn't go through, and I believe a heard a snicker or giggle from somewhere in the distance (although that might have been in my head). Guess I'm just not meant to have one, but best of luck to you, and hope you fair better than me.

Oh, and by the off chance that you come across a hoard of them, do shoot me a message as to where I might acquire one. I'll do the same on my end, but you shouldn't hold your breath, considering my history with them :p

Time to bump this. I can see this one becoming a very long running thread;).

Thanks for the reply Seagull. Indeed I'm not holding up much hope either, especially after seeing how much that last one went for. But sure I'll keep trying. And if I find that big box of NOS 8010's, I promise I won't sell them for that much on the Bay, honestly;).

Yeah, this has been one of the more disappointing searches for me, especially in the fact that there's been zero offers, leads or possible sightings on this thing, where other Commodore items, that I would consider extremely rare, have been easier to find. And, in my case, I don't need a working one (although, it would be nice to have).

I was hoping to find one under the tree this Christmas, but nada. But, haven't given up hope yet either.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, and I'll take one of those extra one's you find...when you find them;)

Time to bump again.

Also I'm after reading that there are two versions of the modem: a US version and a CCITT version for Europe which differ in the frequencies used. I assume a US modem still works in Europe even though the mark/space frequencies are slightly different. I remember friends connecting to US mailboxes with European modems without problems, well at least until they got they phone bill!

PS: I just noticed it's been 2 weeks since my last post, but only 13 days since the last post in the thread. I assume it is it 14 days since last post to bump. Tried to delete post but don't think I can. Mods delete post if required and I can post again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Something like this? My CBM 8096 is in storage, and don't have an IEE488 cable handy to test, in fact I don't think I have a term program for my CBM but thats easy to fix.. I don't really want to part with it, but saw you bumping this, they are out there.

-wr

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I'm sure they are out there! I'm in no rush to get one so I don't mind waiting. I have cables and even some comms programmes for the 8010, but obviously don't know if they work without actual hardware.

BTW, 8096 is a nice machine!

With summer coming, I'll going to slow down the bumping, but I'm still looking for one of these.

they say all good things... So i joined up today because I found one of these in my man cave... 20171108_140044.jpg

Typical! You take a break from the hobby for a while and all the good stuff comes up...
Well still looking...or should that be again?

Back
Top Bottom