Solder fumes extractor that works?

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
When I solder, which I only do once a month, it isn't a very pleasant experience due to fumes. It isn't exactly well ventilated despite it get cold in my home office in the winter. So I'm wondering what you guys use or prefer in this respect. I'm not going for some industrial grade stuff, just enough to be focused on the job at hand and not in trying not to breath while soldering.

I usually just hold my breath when I solder and turn my head away when I need to breathe. :)
But how about a fan (e.g. 120mm) upright on the desk blowing towards what you're working on? I shouldn't take much air flow to push the fumes away from your head. You could make a small stand for it using some steel wire so it can be angled upwards.

Since I sit right next to an outside door (my workshop/office is my conservatory) if it gets a bit heavy I just open the door =)

I use one like Bryce but it's on an adjustable arm. The carbon filter works great and I don't get any fumes in my face.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEZRUDO

This one is not available on Amazon anymore but it seems like a fairly generic device. It's not quiet but it's also not loud.

Heather

Oooo, the swing arm is a good idea, time to hack that old desk lamp I have in the garage :)

Bryce.

I use one like Bryce but it's on an adjustable arm. The carbon filter works great and I don't get any fumes in my face.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEZRUDO

This one is not available on Amazon anymore but it seems like a fairly generic device. It's not quiet but it's also not loud.

Heather

Any excuse to do some hacking. :D The only downside to the swing arm is that it sometimes gets in the way of the magnifying lamp swing arm. Still, I love having it on the arm as it keeps the desk space open.

Heather

I've been thinking about getting a second-hand cooker hood over my workstation. I have a vent leading directly to outside on the wall. I'm planning to connect the cooker hood to the went with flexible hose.

Wow, that would be big and noisy! You'd probably be better getting something like the one I linked to, some models have a flange on the back of them to allow you to attach a tube to an outside vent.

@SkydivinGirl: I don't have any other swing-arms above my work area. I use a stereo-microscope, not one of those magnifying glasses.

Bryce.

I also have a stereo microscope but I generally use the magnifying lamp for stuff that doesn't require the microscope. :)

@protek

I don't see how a cooker hood would work well unless it was powerful enough to pull air from the area you are soldering. These small units sit close to your work, pulling the air and fumes into the unit. I suppose you could have another fan blowing the fumes towards the hood.

Heather

Back
Top Bottom