Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
ok any help will be appreciated

without having to uninstall everything or do a fresh install

for about a month or so (could be longer) windows 10 is slowing at the desktop after boot up and getting worse. to be more precise as it's loading the services and the system tray apps.

sometimes I get the logon screen with circle turning and then the desktop in about 15 seconds of turning on the PC (Msata i7 laptop), it looks like a normal boot and visually doesnt look as if anything is wrong apart from the system tray icons dont all load like they used to.

so what's the issue...... I cannot open any apps , chrome, email, calculator not anything, I cant even open task manager (Ctrl+ALT+DEL) does NOTHING,, i can open "this pc" and browse my harddisks, I can right click and get the mouse menu, the pc has not frozen,,, this can be anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes, then when the service or app or whatever is holding up the PC finally quits or runs, everything i clicked on appears. chrome ,email and the task manager appear that i clicked or pressed on 3 minutes ago.

on occasion the app or service that stop / pauses the pc to boot up occurs during the logon screen so I get a VERY slow logon, black screen for 1 mintue then logon picture, circle turning,, 3 minutes later all ok.

once the pc is on and booted up fully it works as normal.

done the usual disable anything I can think of in start up. done a full virus scan with Kaspersky, ran tdsskiller , spybot , malware bytes JRT, cmd prompt sfc /scannow, and everything says im clean and nothing is corrupt or damaged.

I dont have any system restore's available as I clean them out once every week or so..ive not installed anything new that I can think of. Elite Dangerous game but nothing else. (issue was before this anyway)

event viewer has no crytical errors just the usual warnings that even a clean install shows up

im at a loss and dont really want to re-install windows 10.

I was hoping for some sort of boot log that continued to log all apps and services even at the desktop to see what was taking about 2-3 minutes to start and holding the rest of the pc up.

thanks and fingers crossed.

What is the exact modell and make of the PC? Has it been like this since new? Usually laptops are full of bloatware from the factory slowing them down alot. I know it's not the solution you are looking for but I usually just wipe the disk and install a clean version of Windows.

You could try uninstalling everything you don't use.

I experience this with windows10, even a clean install works great for a while then displays all the problems you mentioned.
Microsoft did say that my graphics card wasn't supported (but I installed it anyway) so I just assumed my laptop wasn't up to it.
I re-installed Windows7 in the end and never looked back. (or should that be forward?)

Just had something similar on a machine in the office and it was something to do with pending Windows Updates. Installed those, magically worked again. Might be worth a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thanks for all the replies but none of the suggestions relate to my fault.

its as if as windows boots to the desktop and starts to load services and the tray apps it pauses for 2 - 3 minutes... i can still browse my harddisks , anything I try and run, open display properties, run a cmd prompt even ctrl+alt+delete does NOTHING until 2 - 3 minutes have passed then they all open as if i queued them all up.

I get something similar on my PC now and again but not for as long.

I suspect it's to do with windows indexing my drives.

I had Windows 10 on a test PC for a year as a Windows Insider. The end result was I removed it and went back to Windows 7. If you check the net you will find a lot of people having similar problems and the solution is to remove Windows 10 (or just put up with the usual M$ B.S.)
Also, if you read up you will see people are saying Windows 10 spies on your activities and does other things without telling you.
Just because it's free does not mean it's good. Giving away Windows 10 for free is purely a marketing strategy to get people to install Windows 10 and move to a legal install (primarily targeted at China and other countries where using pirated software is commonplace). They are only doing it because Apple gives away their MAC OS for free.
But don't be fooled, Windows 10 is bad news and simply isn't required. There's nothing new or radical about Windows 10 and Windows 7 does everything that anyone needs. The solution to *any* Windows 10 problem is uninstall and go back to Windows 7 factory DVD install, don't install updates (turn them off immediately!) and then you won't have any problems. You may laugh about turning off updates but I never install updates and I never had any problems. Updates are one of the major causes of Windows issues. Again, don't be fooled by the hype.

I had a similar issue with Win 10. In my case it turned out to be a third party firewall/antivirus program that had blocked one of the windows updates from installing, causing a mis-match between DLLs. Uninstalling the firewall sorted it for me (after it had completed the upgrade).

Bryce.

ok I think ive fixed it,,, and you wont believe what it was ........:Doh:

both Cortana and Xbox app not loading and holding up the whole pc until they timed out.... pfft! (although they where both on the start menu bar and when clicked on did work)

either a coincidence or because i've allowed Cortana to start/show (not hide app) and done "Wreset" on Xbox App pc now is ready to use from cold in 20 seconds as it was before..

about windows 10 spying, I run Spybots Anti beacon,, take a look
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/anti-beacon-for-windows-10-download.html

thanks for all you input and will post here if the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom