My A1200D Project

Great work Dr Pilpscube :D its always a pleasure to see what you've been up to with your awesome A1200 and a inspiration to everyone (y)

I'm also REALLY keen to get some kind of EEPROM Kickstart solution in the future, and maybe flashable from the Amiga itself. I ordered some 29F800 EEPROMS but they are TINY! one would need a custom made adapter to get these little beauts sitting in the big old Kickstart sockets.........
There are some ready 29F800 (including the converter adapter to use it as a Kickstart)... which are really cheap as well here:
http://www.eliptor.pl/p86,pamiec-fl...42-z-mozliwoscia-emulacji-eprom-a-27c800.html

I saw them some time ago when I thought hoarding some for future use :)
Keep us posted cause this is truly thrilling project!!!

AWESOME updates btw my friend. This is definitely the most l33t A1200 worldwide :)
Lotsa kudos and respect.

Cheers guys :)

@marios

ZOOOMMMGGG!!!!!!! How did I miss those??!!! I was going to attempt to handmake some crackerjack adapters, but these ready made ones would be much more reliable! (y)

I've actually been talking to a guy on A1k called Doc who made his own flashable Kickstarts that can hold multiple Kickstarts and all controllable from the Amiga in shell. Of course he can't release his creation or software into the wild for obvious reasons, but he seems willing to help me try and figure out my own solution. The only real problem for me is software, the hardware is no probs... but software, that's my weakspot or more like killer as I can't code for toffee!! :(

Yeah I know what you mean Les mate.
Something like this (if not the same): http://www.terminal-entry.de/amiga/romflash.html
Software existed to be able to flash the ROM from the Amiga side (I saw some pictures as well) but never came out in production due to the well-known crap...

We'll be in touch to share some knowledge on the subject my friend.

Thanks :) I've got another addition to come soon, when I have the time :) But i've actually been enjoying using the old girl for a while. :)

This makes my A1200 look cheap in comparison. :LOL:

You obviously know what you're doing. Well done.

Cheers ByteRyder :)

I have a small update!

I managed to get my Delfina working finally without crashing and at a slightly better volume level (still a bit quieter than native and CD, but manageable now). I've pretty much left it for the last year or so and almost sold it. But then I decided to give it one last try. Not sure how I did it really, I just messed around swapping different versions of delfina lib and setting up delfmem and delfinit.

The combination that worked was the latest lib (4.17b392) and the delfmem version that came on my install disks (Bizzare as I had this setup initially but it didn't work!?). the latest delfinit that is recommended didn't work with any of the libs I found (including the 2 patched libs floating around). It really is a PITA, but once working its quite marvellous! I'm now looking at buying a dedicated package to make the most of it, like Digibooster or something.

Its still a disappointment in AHI though. Some games are ok at 44KHz (Quake) but some games (Wipeout 2097) the frame rate just grinds to a halt when using 44KHz. Works ok at 16KHz, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Paula at 14 bit 27KHz sounds better!

So for now my Delfina is a glorified MP3 player, but at least it working now :)

Here's a vid: -

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFII1Bh0e4[/m]

You're right there John, I've even got to the point where I laugh and let the old girl have her "space" for a few days, or week. Then things just start to work again. The Delfina was bothering me a bit even though I ignored it for a long time and just enjoyed other things. It just didn't feel completed. Now it does :)

Some updates to my Amiga :)

I added a few other minor tweaks to help with general stability.

Here i've added direct +5V power to the IDEFix Express. This helps with some random cold boot issues i've had and also the odd reboot crash: -

DSC_0005.jpg

I've added a ferrite Core around the Indi cable to eliminate a little bit of noise I had on the screen: -

DSC_0003.jpg

I've managed to get my Flash Kicks working and dual booting between 3.1 and 3.9 :)

Here are the Epsilon FlashKicks I got from Poland (cheers for the help Stachu100): -

DSC_0476.jpg

I replaced my aging (And worn out) Kickstart Sockets and added some handy labels: -

DSC_0519.jpg

Programming them up in my cheap as chips Willem :)

DSC_0531.jpg

The settings needed to program these: -

DSC_0532.jpg

Added a switch to the side of my Amiga to allow dual kick (0v and 5v to select the different banks): -

DSC_0523.jpg

And a label :)

DSC_0524.jpg

Here is the switch wire needed on pin 1 of each Flash Kick to switch the banks: -

DSC_0011.jpg

The switch selects 3.9 with HDD powered or 3.1 with HDD turned off (so my A1200 can go into vanilla mode) If I hold key "2" on bootup I can disable my PPC also. This is so I can play Floppy games or Demos that only like 020 2MB chip.

DSC_0012.jpg

The new HDD power cable controlled by the switch: -

DSC_0014.jpg

Plugged straight onto the HDD IDE cable: -

DSC_0013.jpg

Here it is switched into 3.1

DSC_0009.jpg

And 3.9 (I unplugged the HDD cable to show the kick screen)

DSC_0010.jpg

Here's a video of it in action: -

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56JePGopDS4[/m]

And playing Wipeout 2097 (with one hand): -

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUlRWhb1Tk[/m]

Enjoy! (y)

hi bud,looking good.:)

have you got a 4k7 resistor between the 5 volt line and pin one of the rom switches;)

EDIT:i think i can just about make it out there:)

Nice work as always mate (y)

Thanks for sharing the vids & pics :)

Full of win!
Most pimped A1200 worldwide by far. Lotsa kudos my friend \o/

/respect

This thread thoroughly deserves 'Legendary' status. The thread has been moved accordingly.

:)

Cheers Marios! :) Wow! Thanks Merlin :) But as i've said before, I don't mean to boast, I do feel very proud of my work and enjoy getting good feedback, but its mainly so others can get ideas too and maybe have the courage to give modding a go. I also hope folks can take pieces of the mods i've made to help them in smaller mod projects they can customise themselves. The Amiga is such a a customisable and hacktastic machine that is both fun and challenging and i'd say to anyone thinking about it, give it a shot and show us what you've made!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom