Amibayer!
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Ringsted
    Feedback
    61 (100%)

Default My sons first computer... the Amiga 600

Ever since I pulled my A1200 out of retirement, my 5 year old son (Ziggy) has expressed a keen interest in my hacking adventures and often sits and watches me. He decided that he wanted an Amiga too (that magical age where anything Daddy does is cool).

I thought maybe an A600 would be good for him so I showed him some pictures online of it and asked if he liked the look of it... he said "yeah daddy! its the little boy Amiga!". Ever since then i've been trying to find one in good condition locally (with Danish keys so he can type in Danish too being bilingual).

The other day I found one on QXL.dk which just happened to come with a C64 too, something else I wanted So I got them and thought i'd share some pictures of Ziggy when he got it as he is super happy He has been wanting to try painting on the Amiga so luckily it came with Deluxe Paint IV... you can see in the photos that he gets straight onto making a masterpiece

There is also a photo of the internals, Ziggy wanted to see inside.. good kid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails web_05082010666.jpg   web_04082010660.jpg   web_04082010661.jpg   web_04082010662.jpg   web_04082010663.jpg  

web_04082010665.jpg  

Shameless recidivist Inactive Member
    VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    Minnesota
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

Now that's how to raise a kid right.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

We Will Never Forget.. Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Union,NJ
    Feedback
    79 (100%)

Default My Kids

Yeah my kids were using C64's,Apple ]['s Amiga's a old XT i had youngest son could get around MS Dos then also got a old mac performa 475 teachers were
    amazed how they could jump from PC and mac's..
    Now they only use PC's 1 is 28 the other 18 now..

Chris
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

WipEout Fanboi VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Ringsted
    Feedback
    61 (100%)

I'm amazed at how quickly he picked up using it. He loves drawing so he has alot of interest. He also likes typing... but doesn't want to play any games! It came with a box full of disks, i've been playing some and he just wants to watch.

The 1 That Ribbits Inactive Member
    VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
    Feedback
    80 (99%)
    Blog Entries

Kewl, Great and many happy ribbits
    The one that Ribbits Frist Ribbits Loudest :rainbow::boing::inlove:
    If it dos`t work Hit it with a Hammer, If that dost work get a bigger Hammer, If that dos`t work get the gas axe out :mad:
    Up Front and Central Takeing flack as usual so the rest of you can do that pincer movement

Country
    Scotland
    Region:
    Glasgow South
    Feedback
    119 (100%)

Hi Phipscube - that's awesome and thanks for sharing. My daughter (9 now) loves my retro fascination and loves the fact that I used to be into these old computers an could use them for more than games.

My daughter - like your son is into drawing and making the computer do stuff rather than just play games (although she is a gamer too) and she knows that I did some game graphics when I was younger and thinks that was cool! LOL

They'll grow out of it (or be shamed into growing out of it by their peers) so take good advantage of it now

Other folks on here have wee stories of sharing their "hobby" with their kids and it really is heartening that the kids want to get involved. My daughter was fascinated by the TV series on BBC earlier this year (or late last year) that showed a family having to live with technology from different years. If you can get a hold of it - I'm sure your son will love it!

Cheers

John
    The future is bright, the future is Retro!

C= Amiga 1200
    , 3.1 ROM with Blizzard 1230
    Phase 5 + 16Mb Ram, 4Gb CF IDE, Amiga 3000 with 3640, ZX81, Spectrum 128 Toastrack and DivIDE, Spectrum Next, Spectrum 48 Rubber Key, Commodore 128 and SD2IEC, Tatung Einstein, BBC Master Compact and SD, Acorn Electron, XBOX, XBOX 360; Wii, NDS, PSP; SGI Octane

WipEout Fanboi VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Ringsted
    Feedback
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
    Kewl, Great and many happy ribbits
    Thanks for the happy ribbits cosmicfrog, Ziggy thinks your funny and wonders if you are a real frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Skilgannon View Post
    Hi Phipscube - that's awesome and thanks for sharing. My daughter (9 now) loves my retro fascination and loves the fact that I used to be into these old computers an could use them for more than games.

My daughter - like your son is into drawing and making the computer do stuff rather than just play games (although she is a gamer too) and she knows that I did some game graphics when I was younger and thinks that was cool! LOL

They'll grow out of it (or be shamed into growing out of it by their peers) so take good advantage of it now

Other folks on here have wee stories of sharing their "hobby" with their kids and it really is heartening that the kids want to get involved. My daughter was fascinated by the TV series on BBC earlier this year (or late last year) that showed a family having to live with technology from different years. If you can get a hold of it - I'm sure your son will love it!

Cheers

John
    Hi skilgannon (John), yeah I will take your advice I will be quite sad the day he thinks i'm not so cool anymore, its such a nice feeling having the little man look up to me in everything I do.

I didn't really think he would be that bothered about the old Amiga, I have a PS3 that I play alot too and he hasn't been so bothered about that, he does enjoy watching me play sometimes though. I bought Lego Starwars and Eyepet which he will play with me for 5 or 10 minutes, but then thats it.

With the Amiga though, he has great interest in what i'm doing. Maybe its all my fond stories of days gone by with my old Miggy Well, I do hope this little old A600 starts him on a path that will lead to something more for him in the future.

I saw a few episodes of that TV series, I'd like to find them online somewhere as I agree, I think he would enjoy it.

Thanks for your nice words John

Cheers!

Les

Shameless recidivist Inactive Member
    VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    Minnesota
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Phipscube View Post
    I didn't really think he would be that bothered about the old Amiga, I have a PS3 that I play alot too and he hasn't been so bothered about that, he does enjoy watching me play sometimes though. I bought Lego Starwars and Eyepet which he will play with me for 5 or 10 minutes, but then thats it.

With the Amiga though, he has great interest in what i'm doing. Maybe its all my fond stories of days gone by with my old Miggy Well, I do hope this little old A600 starts him on a path that will lead to something more for him in the future.
    I'm sure your reminisces have something to do with it, but if your boy is anything like I was at that age, the lure of the computer probably has a lot to do with the fact that he can make it do something. A video game you can play through, but a paint program or a BASIC interpreter can make the computer a canvas to do whatever you want on.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

CodeMonkey Inactive Member
    VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Feedback
    88 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phipscube View Post

I'm sure your reminisces have something to do with it, but if your boy is anything like I was at that age, the lure of the computer probably has a lot to do with the fact that he can make it do something. A video game you can play through, but a paint program or a BASIC interpreter can make the computer a canvas to do whatever you want on.

Yes, I was exactly the same at his age although I loved the games too, I enjoyed loading them up as much as playing them lol.
    I had a ZX Speccy and a C64 when I was 4 and 5 respectively.

When I was about 9 I started pulling things apart and inspecting their innards then attempting to put them back together.

Aged 10 I had a friend who had a Miggy 600 and I loved it. So I begged and got one for xmas that year

I am now a CompTIA and M$ certified IT tech at age 25, have sucessfully completed CISCOs CCNA networking course and I'm still fondly learning.
    My fondness for all things computer has grown with me. Although nothing today quite feels like it used to... Your son has great taste
    “First learn computer science and all the theory. Next develop a programming style. Then forget all that and just hack.”
    (George Carrette)

Country
    France
    Region:
    Paris
    Feedback
    120 (100%)

Great pictures! Really cool amiga boy

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast