Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Zorrocard inserted upside-down in zorroslot

  1. #1
    Amibayer! drbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Sweden
    Region:
    Helsingborg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    656
    Feedback
    51 (100%)

    Default Zorrocard upside-down in zorroslot [SOLVED with Happy ending]]

    I've got a Repulse soundcard that has been inserted upside-down in the zorroslot and then powered on. (This was not done by me but the previous owner) The pics below is to show what I mean.. the computer was not powered on with the card inside.

    It was inserted in this way... (WRONG, DON'T DO THIS)


    And it should have been inserted this way.. (CORRECT WAY)


    I don't know what would/has happened to the card.. The only visable thing I can see are two SMD-resistors that has been fried...
    If I'm thinking right it should be like I wrote on the pic. Zorro-pinout http://pinouts.ru/Slots/Zorro_pinout.shtml



    Is the card totally busted or may it be enough to replace the two SMD resistors?
    I haven't dared to test the card in any computer.
    Is it safe to test the card or is there a possibility that the computer might go 'kaa-boom' if the zorrocard is indeed broken. Would be very bad if my newly repaired A4k motherboard to go bad again.

    As some pads on the zorroconnector on the card is missing (as seen here http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/repulse,2), +5V on Pin5 and Pin6 and -5V on Pin8 was not connected to anything when the card was put in the wrong way.

    Any thoughts? Should I just throw the card away or is there a chance the card might still be functional?
    Last edited by drbrain; 19th August 2010 at 23:53.
    A4000DT: CSPPC 604e@330, 060@60, Mediator PCI 4000D, R9200 256MB, CVPPC, IndiAGA MKII, Deneb, PCI NIC+Sound, 144MB, Intel 40GB SATA SSD, AmigaOS 3.9/4.0/4.1
    A1200D: Blizzard1220@28MHz, 8MB, IndiAGA MKII, AmigaOS 3.9 A4000D: 030@25, IndiAGA MKI, 8MB, AmigaOS 3.9 A3000D: 030@25, 16MB, AmigaOS 3.9

  2. #2
    Positively negative VIP
    Amibayer!
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    Cheltenham UK
    Region:
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    12,225
    Feedback
    142 (100%)

    Default

    don't throw it!! if you decide to bin it, give it to me and i'll risk chucking it in an A4K


    Quote Originally Posted by drbrain View Post
    I've got a Repulse soundcard that has been inserted upside-down in the zorroslot and then powered on. (This was not done by me but the previous owner) The pics below is to show what I mean.. the computer was not powered on with the card inside.

    It was inserted in this way... (WRONG, DON'T DO THIS)


    And it should have been inserted this way.. (CORRECT WAY)


    I don't know what would/has happened to the card.. The only visable thing I can see are two SMD-resistors that has been fried...
    If I'm thinking right it should be like I wrote on the pic. Zorro-pinout http://pinouts.ru/Slots/Zorro_pinout.shtml



    Is the card totally busted or may it be enough to replace the two SMD resistors?
    I haven't dared to test the card in any computer.
    Is it safe to test the card or is there a possibility that the computer might go 'kaa-boom' if the zorrocard is indeed broken. Would be very bad if my newly repaired A4k motherboard to go bad again.

    As some pads on the zorroconnector on the card is missing (as seen here http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/repulse,2), +5V on Pin5 and Pin6 and -5V on Pin8 was not connected to anything when the card was put in the wrong way.

    Any thoughts? Should I just throw the card away or is there a chance the card might still be functional?
    Official Amiga Walker






  3. #3
    Acceleration! Amibay Treasurer
    Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    AndyLandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Southampton
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,006
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

    Default

    I'd be tempted to test it, but not in a newly-repaired shiny A4000. Personally, I'd probably try it in an A2000 or an A500 with a Zorro adapter. Not only are those machines often cheaper, they're also a lot easier to repair if you do zap something.
    Thinking about accelerating your A1200? Check out my buyer's guide.

    Projects past and present: Amiga 2000/030 | Amiga 3000/040 | Amiga 4000/060

  4. #4
    BANNED Kin Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8,149
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

    Default

    Just a word of advice for all Amiga ZORRO users;

    Chips up on ZORRO chaps.

    Down on PCI unless you have a BTX case.

    Kin

  5. #5
    Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,395
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

    Default

    EEEK!!!

    There also seems to have been one or two tracks vapourised between R6 and D3 (inside the red circle on your photos). If they haven't gone completely, they are certainly discoloured. One of the pads on R1 appears to have gone South as well, although it is hard to tell from the angle.

    Are any parts on the opposite side of the board discoloured or showing signs of damage, as there are a couple of vias nearby that also looks as though they got hot (just above R6 and above and to the left of R1).

    Have you a decent reference photo of that area of the card to compare yours with, from somewhere such as the Big Book of Amiga Hardware?
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

    As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

  6. #6
    Amibayer! drbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Sweden
    Region:
    Helsingborg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    656
    Feedback
    51 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLandy View Post
    I'd be tempted to test it, but not in a newly-repaired shiny A4000. Personally, I'd probably try it in an A2000 or an A500 with a Zorro adapter. Not only are those machines often cheaper, they're also a lot easier to repair if you do zap something.
    Yeah.. I'm very tempted to test the card... but not in my A4000.
    Sadly I don't have another Zorro-capable machine to test it in. Only an A1200.
    Maybe I should try to dig up an old A500 and get a Zorro adapter, if it doesn't go kaa-boom I guess it would be safe to test in the A4k then...

    ---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    EEEK!!!

    There also seems to have been one or two tracks vapourised between R6 and D3 (inside the red circle on your photos). If they haven't gone completely, they are certainly discoloured. One of the pads on R1 appears to have gone South as well, although it is hard to tell from the angle.

    Are any parts on the opposite side of the board discoloured or showing signs of damage, as there are a couple of vias nearby that also looks as though they got hot (just above R6 and above and to the left of R1).

    Have you a decent reference photo of that area of the card to compare yours with, from somewhere such as the Big Book of Amiga Hardware?
    The only highres pics I have is from amiga.resource.cx
    Front: http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/phot...res=hi&lang=en
    Back: http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/phot...res=hi&lang=en

    The are no parts on the oppsite side and all the tracks looks fine on that side. The only thing I can see is that the laquer on one of the tracks (about 1mm in length) on the bottom side is damaged (near the connector to the flat-cable). But it looks more like a scratch than a burnt track.

    And on the front-side the only thing I can see that's looks damaged is that in the red circle... two resistors.And some tracks but they seem to be intact when measuring with a multimeter.
    A4000DT: CSPPC 604e@330, 060@60, Mediator PCI 4000D, R9200 256MB, CVPPC, IndiAGA MKII, Deneb, PCI NIC+Sound, 144MB, Intel 40GB SATA SSD, AmigaOS 3.9/4.0/4.1
    A1200D: Blizzard1220@28MHz, 8MB, IndiAGA MKII, AmigaOS 3.9 A4000D: 030@25, IndiAGA MKI, 8MB, AmigaOS 3.9 A3000D: 030@25, 16MB, AmigaOS 3.9

  7. #7
    Ya' Like it Retr0? VIP Zetr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Norfolk
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11,105
    Feedback
    137 (100%)

    Default Review

    just to clarify whats happened, I labled these out

    The card was inserted back-to-front as such we need to know what voltages whent where, signal lines dont carry that much in ampage as such the real concern is the true +5, -5 and -12volts

    Top of Card


    As we can see, on this plate, a little luck has come our way, the track that would of connected to the +5v is not there.

    Bottom of Card


    Alas this plate is a different story, this card has been hit with both a -12volt as well as a +5v both seems to of been stopped by the resistors, however even after replacing these it might be a little tricky to be honest.

    the +5volt line dissapears under the Spartan chip, as such this could be a problem. the -12volts on the other hand looks tied to somthing and I cannot be sure if it continue onto the circuit.

    I would suggest that replacing the resistors is the first part, all thought the tracks look good it could mean that somthing else sucked up all the voltage.

    I am surprised this orientation crisis didn't fubar that A4000 mobo.
    8)Flux Mastah' Zee8)
    50 L337 1'M W1R3FR4M3

  8. #8
    Acceleration! Amibay Treasurer
    Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    AndyLandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Southampton
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,006
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

    Default

    And here is the single shining reason why manufacturers should MAKE THEIR DAMN CARDS FILL THE SLOT PROPERLY and have a plate on the end. Spend that extra 5p on a bit of plastic and metal so the card can't be inserted incorrectly!
    Thinking about accelerating your A1200? Check out my buyer's guide.

    Projects past and present: Amiga 2000/030 | Amiga 3000/040 | Amiga 4000/060

  9. #9
    Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,395
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

    Default

    @ Zetr0

    I could be wrong about this as I'm trying to think in 3D, following the vias based on those photos, but it looks like diode D3 blocked the -12v and it went straight to a ground plane on the other side, totalling the resistors as it went through.

    Can you take a look and see if my reasoning holds up?
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

    As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

  10. #10
    Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,395
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLandy View Post
    And here is the single shining reason why manufacturers should MAKE THEIR DAMN CARDS FILL THE SLOT PROPERLY and have a plate on the end. Spend that extra 5p on a bit of plastic and metal so the card can't be inserted incorrectly!
    Even AGP cards can be made to fit the other incompatible voltage slots, if you hammer them enough......
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

    As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PC hangs when CD inserted into one of my DVD drives
    By Firthy2002 in forum AmiOracle
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13th November 2009, 19:24

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •