liviux76

Only Amiga makes it possible...
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
BO
Hello all,
as per the title I've just noticed that on my main A500 (rev6 if I remember well, with 512 KB of extra RAM) the soft reset doesn't work anymore.

I tested all the keys with a specific software and the keys work, however when I press them the system doesn't reboot. I also noticed that the floppy drive isn't correctly reading a few floppy disks that I am pretty sure are good (just made them using a kryoflux).

Is there a chance that some custom chip is defective? If so, which one should I check/replace first in order to try to fix these issues?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Recapped? Or still original..?

500s doesn't need recapping and in any case I can't see how bad caps should influence the reset signal. Did reset work before? You cannot use a keyboard from an old A500 (rev. 3 for example) and use it in a newer model since the reset signal is different.

It could be that the reset wire is broken from the keyboard or the track was damaged somewhere.

500s doesn't need recapping and in any case I can't see how bad caps should influence the reset signal. Did reset work before? You cannot use a keyboard from an old A500 (rev. 3 for example) and use it in a newer model since the reset signal is different.

It could be that the reset wire is broken from the keyboard or the track was damaged somewhere.

As far as I remember the reset worked the last time I've used it... the weird thing is that singularly the keys work but they don't send the reset message to the mainboard...

On the 500, the reset signal is sent separately from the keyboard data unlike on the 1200 and 600 where the reset is decoded on the motherboard. So check the voltage on the reset wire. It should be 5V and then go low when C-A-A is pressed.

On the 500, the reset signal is sent separately from the keyboard data unlike on the 1200 and 600 where the reset is decoded on the motherboard. So check the voltage on the reset wire. It should be 5V and then go low when C-A-A is pressed.

Thanks for your help, demolition.
At the end I solved the issue replacing the keyboard that didn't work properly (an old keyboard with red led and 8 wires) with another keyboard with green led and 7 wires. Doing so the soft reset works. I've also replaced the floppy drive and now I am able to read the floppy disks that didn't work earlier. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom