2MB A600 CHIP RAM - Hack@Home

If you know how to do that rkauer, I'd really like to know...

Hello to all,

I just finished using the "piggybacking" method on my A600...

I soldered the two chips using Trucco instructions and after I soldered the two chips on one of the two originals on mb.

After I soldered the three wires and ... nothing ...
the A600 was reading the kickstart (sequence of grey screens) and then froze.

I checked the pins one by one and everything was ok.

The problem is that my motherboard is different from the one that Trucco desribes in his method and then I used the alternative points as described in the first post.

No operation as long as I have not reversed LCAS and UCAS.

Now the Amiga starts and recognize dual memory. :arms

Now I have to quietly test the memory for errors.
Wich program cai I use for this test?

For now, I tried the workbench and a couple of games, and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks to all ... fantastic forum. :bowdown:

GVP have some memory tools, this is what I generally use - you can find the memory tested on the Faastprep disk - if you search amiga.resource.cx for pretty much any GVP product you will find an install disk and on that is a memory checker.

Alternatively there is AmiNet =)

GVP have some memory tools, this is what I generally use - you can find the memory tested on the Faastprep disk - if you search amiga.resource.cx for pretty much any GVP product you will find an install disk and on that is a memory checker.

Alternatively there is AmiNet =)

Ok, thank you Zetr0.

I have already downloaded an install disk for my GVP for A2000 (HC +8);
I have not yet used the disk but I will check into it.

Otherwise I will try to Aminet ;)
Thank you very much.

Good evening.

a simple way is to fill up the ram disk, ok this only tests writein to ram and not reading but still if you have nothing else available it can still be a worth while test to do

I take it HYB514265BJ-45 are suitable?

edit: and as has already been asked, could chips with double the capacity be used to replace the original chips on the board?

I take it HYB514265BJ-45 are suitable?

edit: and as has already been asked, could chips with double the capacity be used to replace the original chips on the board?

sadly not without extra circuitry to convert the RAS signals to higher address signals - it could be done but it would require a bit of effort.

I got my Amiga 600 upgraded to 2meg chip ram :)

I got my Amiga 600 upgraded to 2meg chip ram :)

I managed to find a couple of old Trident 9680 graphic cards at a nearby Electronic Surplus store... ( also picked up some ram for my a2091 scsi card from an old 286 motherboard...and 4 scsi hard drives ) all for $cheap

here are some pics of my Ram hack:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66577016@N00/9541641321/in/photostream/

in that photo stream you will also find pictures of my a2091 14mhz hack along with my modded U12 rom :) and added 1 meg of ram :)

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mod there man kudos.
This is a nice hack for someone that doesn't need RTC or SD/FF.

Btw I enjoyed the RPi hacks as well :)

question regarding the hack...

question regarding the hack...

if I decide I want to get one of those trap door memory upgrades with built in clockport. Can I dissable the onboard mod by disconnecting the
UCAS (Upper Column Address Strobe)
LCAS (Lower Column Address Strobe)
lines to the two chips? or would their presence interfear if not enabled?

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

I did find this tidbit on a way to perhaps dissable the ram hack:

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=604304&postcount=135

instead of of going to the motherboard, the two signals can go to the middle of a double pole double throw switch with pin 35 and 36 from expansion port on one side, and +5 volts on the other...

:) I enjoyed the hack but there is a lot of value in the amiga kit board with Ram, clockport, and ecs scan doubler thingy socket :)

I have somewhere bare Sega Saturn PCB and IIRC there is 4 256k*16bit DRAM chips, so i know, whats gonna happened next :whistle:

I've done this cunning mod twice now but I neglected to thank you by providing a little pr0n the first time so here we go -

Prepare the chips -

Chips installed -

Success! There may have been some swearing before this last photo was taken. I didn't make a very good job of soldering the chips on first time. :Doh: Had quite a few dodgy connections so I ended up taping off the area and giving it the hot air. That did the trick. (y)

I don't think I'll do this again. Neat trick but very fiddly and a bit tricky to undo it if you mess up.

Back
Top Bottom