Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARRGHHHHH!! Commodore electronics - so cheapskate...

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

Default ARRGHHHHH!! Commodore electronics - so cheapskate...

I recently acquired a Commodore C16 to complete my 8-bit C= collection and it arrived today. I was really excited, really really excited.

The excitement didn't last. the machine was DOA, so I set to with the multimeter to find out why.

The transformer was putting out 10v AC on the output side, but the cheap and nasty circuit board with the rectifier bridge a, capacitor and fuse was burned, blackened and is probably toast. It certainly wasn't outputting 10v DC to the jeck plug.

The C16 itself had an internal blown fuse, possibly as a result of the transformer going South.

I do wish Commodore had used slightly better electronics when they built their machines, but that's a whole new rant and is likely to stir up the natives, so let's not go there.

I can foresee a trip to Maplins or RS on the cards, to rebuild the rectifier board inside the transformer and some new fuses.
    Last edited by Merlin; 12th August 2016 at 10:52. Reason: typo
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Repairer Extraordinaire Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Wales
    Feedback
    230 (100%)

I have a spare pukka C16 PSU you can have, I will send it with the DRAMS.

First though use a std 9V Regulated DC supply to ensure your CPU and TED are alive otherwise it's game over lol..

Bas
    Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow June 2016, I Was There

Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

Thanks, mate! I need the glass internal fuse before I can test the machine and I'll see if I can dig out a suitable 9v supply from my pile of stuff. Stay tuned...

"Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Wisconsin
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

Hi Yas Merlin!

Keep in mind this Commodore stuff was designed more than 30 years ago. The PSU was probably hit by a voltage surge but could have suffered from over-heating as well.

Also, the more modern switching PSU designs (are more efficient in power consumption) but are not practically more reliable. Also, they can cause serious damage to other components when they fail and are usually much harder to fix.

I know it's disappointing when something arrives DOA but Commodore didn't design or manufacture anything with a such a long life expectancy.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Hessen
    Feedback
    342 (100%)
    Blog Entries

I remember as a kid I used to reset the c64 by poking paperclips in the user or expansion port. The 1st c64 died before the 12 month guarantee was over. Dixons simply replaced with a brand new one. I guess the 2nd one died a similar death outside of the guarantee. It seems only the fuse was broken, so I repaired it myself with my trusted paperclip.

I am fairly sure you have some 3 amp fuse wire lying around from the good old days. You don't need a glass one.
    Last edited by mrr19121970; 11th August 2016 at 14:48.
    See www.amibay.com/entry.php?176-My-Offerings
    Speed up the transaction ?? Post Interest & PayPal.me/mrr19121970 as family'n'friends and PM me with what you want and where to send it.

Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

OK, some new fuses later and I've connected the only 9v 1A regulated supply that I can find to the machine that is getting me some output on the RF cable. I'm getting two noise bars and garbled text on the TV screen (faulty TED?) and chip U2 - the CPU (MOS 8501 R1) is getting warm.

It may be that I'm not putting enough amps into it with the first PSU, but if I connect a Maplin 9V 2.5A PSU to it with the output verified at 9.5v and correct polarity, the LED on the PSU starts flashing and the machine doesn't light up, hinting at bad things. I'm hoping that the Maplin PSU just doesn't like the C16.

Bas, could you please send me that PSU so that I can start to trouble shoot t

VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Wisconsin
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

@Dave

EDIT:
    PSU schematic removed (wrong one) . So, the generic 9V supply was to weak or there are other problems. Possibly with the 5 Volt regulator?

Thanks BAS,
    Kevin
    Last edited by SpeedGeek; 11th August 2016 at 16:54.

Repairer Extraordinaire Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Wales
    Feedback
    230 (100%)

Kevin, That circuit is for the Plus 4

The C16 just uses a bog std 9V DC supply

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, sounds like the machine is Fubared Dave
    Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow June 2016, I Was There

Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

It could be , Bas. I can re-use the fuse holder from the circuit board of the PSU, the rectifier bridge is fried and the smoothing capacitor in the PSU isn't marked with any values at all. I reckon I could re-build the PSU board for about 4 as the transformer is OK. Until I can get the correct voltage and current going into it I can't be 100% certain that it's not knackered.

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll get a Keyrah 2 and build a spare Raspberry Pi B+ that I have into the case, then run the VICE emulator on it.

Update: I drew up a parts list of what I would need to repair the PSU so that i could buy them tomorrow. As the capacitor wasn't marked (or so i thought) I took a wild guess at 4700uF, 16v electrolytic.

Guess what? I removed a sponge pad that was stuck to the top of the capacitor and there were the markings, exactly the same as my guess! Sometimes, you are that damned good...

Country
    England
    Region:
    Hampshire
    Feedback
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    If the worst comes to the worst, I'll get a Keyrah 2 and build a spare Raspberry Pi B+ that I have into the case, then run the VICE emulator on it
    And the DRAMS that Bas is offering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast