Using a SCSI2SD V6 board...

Finally! Got the v.6 working correctly. They are EXTREMELY picky about termination. Amiga 2000 with A2091, passive terminating resistor packs on the card desoldered, active terminator on the DB 25 external connector, 6.13 guru rom on board, all partitions firing on all cylinders. I have 4 SCSI devices, each set a 3 GB, and each partitioned into two equal parts (about 1.5 GB). NO errors, and that is with the SCSI 2 and cache toggle set active. I am getting consistent 2.4 MB/sec on my A2000 with stock CPU!

I have a SupraTurbo28 and GVP A2000-HC+8 on the way due to arrive next week. Curious to see if they play well or help with the speed.

This thing rocks!

Mac

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot to mention I went from 1.85 MB/sec to the 2.4 just by applying the 14 MHz hack. I actually applied the hack right after getting everything stable a 1.85 and it did not upset the setup. Woot!

Mac

Just got a SupraTurbo28 (at stock speed) installed; now transfers slightly up to about 2.65 MB/sec on average. I have both the GVP RAM card that looks kind of like the HC+8 without the Hard Drive part and the HC+8. I see what you mean about hidden DMA on the GVP. Both share the identical DPRC and the ST28 REALLY doesn't work with either of them so went back to a SupraRAM 2000 and the A2091/GuruROM. Still very pleased. I did find out one interesting thing about the SCSI2SD v6. I thought the problem my other card was the C= 7.0 ROM's and/or termination, but it appears as though the Western Digital SCSI chip works whereas the SCSI chip I replaced on this card with an AMD 33C93 16Mhz version fails miserably. As soon as I can get another WDC version and try it on the A2091 (the one with the 7.0 C= ROM's) I will let everyone know what happens.

Last edited:
A2091 boards w/SCSI2SD v6

A2091 boards w/SCSI2SD v6

IMG_0297.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

16GB SanDisk card, partitioned with bog standard WB 3.1 HDToolbox into four 3GB drives, each partitioned into 1.5GB volumes each.

IMG_0302.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, just updated to 6.1 firmware; no issues updating, but lost significant speed on the A2091/GuruROM setup. Went from almost 2.95 MB/sec to 2.35. Not sure what happened, but probably going back to 6.0.13 for the time being.

Mac

More speed

More speed

IMG_0330.jpgSetting the GVP 030 combo card for zero wait state at 40MHz gives this result; gets a little flaky without active cooling of the MACH/PAL chips. Still tweaking for what max may end up being. Disk speed already showed RAW at 3.2

Mac

Ok, the PP&S A2000-040 card with 16mb RAM, 2 MB of which is mapped into Zorro II space, similar to the GVP combo card, is MUCH slower. I heard someone on the boards mention that this is because of the 040 and something to with block transfers? Memory latency went from about 5.1 (AIBB) to 7.1 for the ZII mapped accelerator RAM. I can get somewhere between 1.4 to 2.1 MB sec now, down from a consistent 2.88 - 2.98 with the GVP. The extra horsepower from the 040 card is too enticing to drop that accelerator, but it hurts to lose the transfer speed. Even the bog standard 7 MHz A2000 was getting 2.3MB/sec just DMA to the A2091 onboard memory...

Mac

Back
Top Bottom