cercamon

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Country
Switzerland
Region
Ticino
Hi,

I have a motherboard of the ZX Spectrum+ 128K "Toastrack", which recently has been checked and repaired by a friend.
So I need a case to give the m/b a new home, if possible including a working keyboard membrane.

I have read that a ZX Spectrum+ 48K case is also suitable as the heatsink is simply bolted on the side.
I accept advice from Sinclair gurus here.

TIA

It's true, 128K MoBo fits (almost) perfectly with these exceptions:
1. There are no holes for the heatsink & screws (however, it is possible to mount it, or, You don't actually need it if You have planned to use a DC to DC power converter, like TRACO Power or similar. Absolutely no heat - no heatsink needed)
2. The ear & mic connectors are on the left side instread of back (need to use dremel to cut these holes out)
3. keyboard & RS232 connectors on the MoBo was added (You will need these holes if You have planned to attach MIDI/RS232 and Nummeric Pad only, otherwise leave them uncutted)
4. 128K printing on the top is missing..

The best way is to get at least a bottom part of the case, it will save You a lot of work & time, the only problem is that tese cases are not so easy to get, so, i can bet, it will be cheaper to get one ZX Spectrum+ case with new membrane installed. You can try Your luck on the other Bay, if You will not find anything - send me a PM, i have some spare cases & brand new membranes on stock.
regards,
Cook

Last edited:
Thank you very much, DjCook. All the information in your post is so interesting.

It's true, 128K MoBo fits (almost) perfectly with these exceptions:
1. There are no holes for the heatsink & screws (however, it is possible to mount it, or, You don't actually need it if You have planned to use a DC to DC power converter, like TRACO Power or similar. Absolutely no heat - no heatsink needed)
I didn't know this could be used instead of the ordinary PSU - do you have a link about the needed power converter to be used? That would be helpful.

2. The ear & mic connectors are on the left side instread of back (need to use dremel to cut these holes out)
I plan to use a DivMMC so no real use for a tape recorder. Sound could be an issue, but no problem to dremel a couple of holes.

3. keyboard & RS232 connectors on the MoBo was added (You will need these holes if You have planned to attach MIDI/RS232 and Nummeric Pad only, otherwise leave them uncutted)
No plan for RS232 or numeric keypad. The machine is for retrocoding and running demos/games.

4. 128K printing on the top is missing..
Yeah, this is the most disappointing part of using a Spectrum+ 48K case... ;-)

The best way is to get at least a bottom part of the case, it will save You a lot of work & time, the only problem is that tese cases are not so easy to get, so, i can bet, it will be cheaper to get one ZX Spectrum+ case with new membrane installed. You can try Your luck on the other Bay, if You will not find anything - send me a PM, i have some spare cases & brand new membranes on stock.
regards,
Cook

Ok, sure. I'll see what I can find, I also have a couple of friends to turn to for this kind of hardware, since they're big and longtime ZX users. I'll PM you later.

Thanks.

Hello,
please don't get me wrong, You do need a PSU, i am taking about power regulator 7805 or 78S05 that converts 9v to 5v internally, and generates so much heat that heatsink was needed.. look at this, and You will understand what i mean:
TRACO
this, for example, is 1A version (Speccy itself consumps approx 600mA) price differs between 6-8€, however, if You have planned to use another peripeals with Your Speccy, it is better to use at least 1.5A version, but the price is usually twice as much: 15-20€ for one piece approximately. There is also a filter built in as a bonus :)

You need to know that the toast rack does not have the sound otput in DIN connector, so You will NEED to cut out these holes to be able to attatch sound lead.

No need for nummeric keypad either, but there are MIDI Adapters (i am selling) and they can be very usefull, indeed, if You are using Spectrum as a MIDI. Check out this video of one of my lucky customers:
Youtube
i think it's amasing! :)

You are welcome, glad to help You,mate
cheers,
Cook

Last edited:
Hello,
please don't get me wrong, You do need a PSU, i am taking about power regulator 7805 or 78S05 that converts 9v to 5v internally, and generates so much heat that heatsink was needed.. look at this, and You will understand what i mean:
TRACO
this, for example, is 1A version (Speccy itself consumps approx 600mA) price differs between 6-8€, however, if You have planned to use another peripeals with Your Speccy, it is better to use at least 1.5A version, but the price is usually twice as much: 15-20€ for one piece approximately. There is also a filter built in as a bonus :)

I'm sorry, I never used or even seen that stuff before... :) So it's me who didn't get what you meant. So the internal regulator should be replaced by one of these TRACO power converter? If so, I'd need help for the mod because I'm basically useless with a soldering iron in my hands.

You need to know that the toast rack does not have the sound otput in DIN connector, so You will NEED to cut out these holes to be able to attatch sound lead.
Yes, this one I do know! :) The holes on the left will be mandatory, then.

No need for nummeric keypad either, but there are MIDI Adapters (i am selling) and they can be very usefull, indeed, if You are using Spectrum as a MIDI. Check out this video of one of my lucky customers:
Youtube
i think it's amasing! :)

Great stuff, DjCook, never used MIDI in my digital life but I'm always curious and open to learn something new.

Thanks again for your time, knowledge and active help.

Hello cercamon,
sorry for delayed answer, wasn't able to make detailed photos until this weekend. So Here we go, i took the spare case from my loft.. It's not so nice, and does look worn, indeed.. I have painted the Sinclair letters with red ceramic paint, to look similar like on the original 128 case:

as You see, the only one difference is on the upper case - the 128K is missing, otherwise these cases are almost the same. So the lower part now:

there are more trouble:
1. RGB Socket is shifted
2. UHF Plug will needs to be cutted out
3. Audio In & Out holes missing (original has square, but i preffer round ones, so propably just big enough drilled holes
4. RS232 & Kepad Outputs are missing (Optional, cut them out only if these are needed..
So, and final part, You asked about - the power regulator:

From left to right: standard 7805 power regulator, TRACO, power regulator on the heatsink (broken ) So, basically standard power regulator will be fitted ot the heatsink and the wire is just plugged in (take care, +5v wire, in my case red colour should be connected to the third (right leg, it's output), this power regulator is very hot, while computer is turned on, and it can not operate without heatsink. What You ned to do - is grab a 7805 1.5A TRACO, and solder to these wires, or stick them on this connector (connection need to be firmly, not fleaky, as it may cause damage!) That's it, NO HEATSINK IS NEED!

more photos Here:
https://postimg.org/gallery/3dr6qgtck/374feddf/
Regards,

Viktor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom