cercamon

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Country
Switzerland
Region
Ticino
Hi all,

I need a tested and working 3.5" floppy disk drive for my Philips MSX2 NMS 8245. The current drive does not read/write/format any diskette.
Thanks for your help. Please PM me with your offer. Also welcome ideas on how to replace the drive using a compatible disk drive.

You can use a Pc drive , but you have to change the DS1 jumper or solder bridge to DS0 and change the function of pin 34 is ‘Disk change’ on a PC, this has to be changed to
‘Ready’ (RY or RDY), look for the jumper or solder bridge .

14-wire cable :
HeadPcb Diskdrive
1 ------------------------- 3
2 ------------------------- 8
3 ------------------------- 9
4 ------------------------- 10
5 ------------------------- 11
6 ------------------------- 4
7 ------------------------- 5
8 ------------------------- (near 14)
9 ------------------------- 1
10 ----------------------- 7
11 not used
12 ----------------------- 12
13 ----------------------- 13
14 ----------------------- 14

Image2.jpg Image3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the valuable information, Junior. I wonder if a standard PC 3.5" drive fits well in the NMS 8245 FDD slot.
I'll take a look at your suggestion, probably with the help of a more tech-experienced friend

i can confirm, i have adapted a standard PC 3.5" floppy drive to a MSX2 Philips 8235, have also removed HD sensor, to be able to use 1.44Mb disks.
Also ROM change was need for that model, as by default it uses 360Kb only. That was tricky, as there are no binaries in the net..

2017-10-07 17.09.27.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it took me only 3 years to decide and discard the Floppy Disk Drive replacement. I instead opted for a Gotek drive, which works pretty well with all the DSK image files that I've found.
Just wanted to close this thread and possibly point other users with the same problem in the right direction. The Gotek solution is not hard to perform, just a bit of work adapting the plastic case to the metal cradle inside the NMS 8245.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom