Thread: A2Pi

Country
    England-Shire, UK
    Region:
    High Wycombe,UK
    Feedback
    201 (100%)
    Blog Entries

it's Prime /phill! In cahoots with Thecorfiot. I'm sure he'd be accomodating

edit: no its not, its danielj, who's also on here!

edit - nice direct solution there. would the pcb be strong enough?
    Last edited by iainjh; 23rd February 2018 at 18:55.

.. . Mouse . .. VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Wirral, UK
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Good, I would expect TC's already thinking about it

It should be strong enough... just! Hence the strengthening bit for the back. There might be a bit of flex but should be no issues with torque forces from the weight of the Pi... but I might add a little 'foot' to the Pi end of the board like some of the longer Apple bus cards have...
    The main trick, if plugging rather than relying on solder joints would be to make sure to use spacers for the screws through the GPIO adaptor or things would get a bit, um, bendy. The boards are small and hence would be dirt-cheap to make so one could just double them up for more strength if required. The main 'gotcha' is being sure the solder the A2Pi board with this adaptor in mind. Soldering direct would be simple: Adaptor across the back of both boards leaving the Pi's GPIO pins available, but is plugging in the A2Pi board would need enough pin length poking out the front to accommodate a plug on both sides.

Hmm,
    I think I might just make up to gerbers and send an order off to Seeed... can you see any fundamental issue with this hack? The only one I can see is I might need to get some longer USB/Ethernet to panel mount leads.

Hmm, I think I might just go
    Charlie.
    Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Home FTP Systems Projects ClassicOS BB

Country
    England-Shire, UK
    Region:
    High Wycombe,UK
    Feedback
    201 (100%)
    Blog Entries

btw in your video, I noted the nice intro splash screen but you are missing any launching images. just helpfully pointing out bitsnbobs

here

https://github.com/retropie/retropie...unching-images

ive gone for these cool pixel art style ones

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/...-splashscreens
    Last edited by iainjh; 25th February 2018 at 08:44.

.. . Mouse . .. VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Wirral, UK
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iainjh View Post
    btw in your video, I noted the nice intro splash screen but you are missing any launching images. just helpfully pointing out bitsnbobs

here

https://github.com/retropie/retropie...unching-images

ive gone for these cool pixal art style ones

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/...-splashscreens
    Ooo, thanks for that, I was completely unaware that could be done - I'm really not a fan of Linux's habit of of sneaking command-line unpleasantness through what should be a nice modern UI. Time to do a little modifying I think.
    Charlie.

Country
    England-Shire, UK
    Region:
    High Wycombe,UK
    Feedback
    201 (100%)
    Blog Entries

sorry charlie, Ive downloaded your zip, each time the 7zip inside comes out corrupt. please could you check it unpacks ok for you? perhaps its the zip program I'm using.

next thing I wanted to ask - you got the pi scanlines shaders working yet? if not I'll share another link.

Which leads me to another stupid idea. Wouldnt it be cool and proper retro-sad (no really, it would be) to fit a 5:4 or 4:3 ratio LCD screen into a steelcase so it looked proper retro. I see your lcd screen on your apple 2, the picture is great, but the retro look isnt there. I look at my 9" PVM monitor and its the other way round! seriously I'd love to find a metal bending company that could make a dummy steelcase, proper microvitec style, that could present a modern lcd as if it was an old school CRT.

sad aint i
    Last edited by iainjh; 24th February 2018 at 22:31.

.. . Mouse . .. VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Wirral, UK
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Hi Iain,
    Sorry to hear the file isn't working for you, a few thoughts:
    -I compressed it specifically using 7zip to get the archive as small as possible. While oher proggies do handle .7z files I've found they can be unreliable, did you use 7zip itself?
    -The archive was fine at my end but I've not tried to download my upload and uncompress that, possibly a corrupted upload..? I'll check and get back to you
    -Sorry if I've put you to the trouble of downloading a corrupted archive, I shall download it now and see if it uploaded ok.

On the subject of a more retro-like monitor if it's a sad thing to wish for then I'm sad too because I've had much the same idea!
    I'm using the LCD TV in the picture primarily because it's got just about every input under the sun on it (as old LCD TV's often do) and apart from my other retro boxes it particularly suits my Apple II set up as it accepts NTSC composite and HDMI...
    ...having said that, like you, I'd much prefer something more in keeping.
    I've been looking for a while for something that suits the aesthetic better while having much the same functionality and come up blank, so my current plans are:
    -See if I can find some vinyl paint of a reasonably Apple II-like shade, paint the monitor, remove the stand, and make a picture frame-like stand so it sits on the computer more nicely (having trouble with the paint)
    or
    -Build my own monitor up from scratch using something like a dead Microtevic Cub with an LCD panel in the front and an arcade I/O board in the back (lots of work)

Some might say, quite rightly, that LCDs just aren't retr0 enough and a proper CRT should be used. I do have a 17" Acorn AFK85 multisync which has a nice picture and will accept almost anything but it's a sonking heavy beast and I'm afraid I've gotten to quite like LCD's over the years...
    ...one of my many stalled projects is to put some modern components in a dead Mac SE/30 I have (working motherboard and CRT if anybody needs parts). That was going to have a 10" LCD in the front with a piece of perspex in the front heat-formed over the the old tube...
    ...if I get an old monitor for the Apple II for an LCD conversion I might do the same thing.

PS
    The main reason the Mac project stalled is I painted it black with a bit of metallic flake in it, decided I hated it, and never had the gumption to go through the many hours needed to remove the paint. As a result I now never paint old computers, lesson learned.
    Last edited by Charlie; 24th February 2018 at 21:50.
    Charlie.

Country
    England-Shire, UK
    Region:
    High Wycombe,UK
    Feedback
    201 (100%)
    Blog Entries

charlie, its unzipped and un-7zip'ed ok! sorry, user error! mac user here, had to use 7zip in windows in a vm...all works fine. now writing the card

great minds think alike!

imagine a folded steel case, it shouldnt be as deep as a regular crt.

wood would be simpler to construct and sand and spray. sounds a bit rubbish though. I might try find a 5:4 aspect lcd with suitable inpurs and a old fashioned black fascia to mock up
    Last edited by iainjh; 25th February 2018 at 00:08.

Repairer Extraordinaire Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Wales
    Feedback
    230 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iainjh View Post
    charlie, its unzipped and un-7zip'ed ok! sorry, user error! mac user here, had to use 7zip in windows in a vm...all works fine. now writing the card

great minds think alike!

imagine a folded steel case, it shouldnt be as deep as a regular crt.

wood would be simpler to construct and sand and spray. sounds a bit rubbish though. I might try find a 5:4 aspect lcd with suitable inpurs and a old fashioned black fascia to mock up
    You can bring a copy over with you Bud
    Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow June 2016, I Was There

we live as we dream. Alone. VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    england
    Region:
    Milton Keynes
    Feedback
    182 (100%)

what an amazing device ...im deeply interested.

Country
    England-Shire, UK
    Region:
    High Wycombe,UK
    Feedback
    201 (100%)
    Blog Entries

charles, the image boots to GSOS, the readme says it boots to emulation station.

so mines booted to GSOS, I've open-closed apple 4 to exit GSOS, that takes me into the desktop. quit that to command line, what do you then tyoe to load retropie/ emulationstattion etc?

the video cuts just at that moment into i think into attract mode and I missed the key steps. cheers! bas yes of course i'll bring the .img

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast