A2Pi

indeed!
ive made it fit by removing the Pi 2/3 header and soldering on pins, and a pi zero w to the board. I used a bit of clear acrylic /OHP film to insulate the board from the pi. With a little disk cable juggling, I'm happy to report its now in slot 7. yay! However... i found the Pi wouldnt boot. I have loaded up the card with the latest noobs rasbian and that works, so i can only assume the raspple was built on a version thats not Pi W friendly.

time to read up and apt-get a build together..

onwards!:):)

Ooo, thanks form that. What a brilliant idea... There will be classic computer freaks the world over delighted to see this, including me!
Looks interesting, but does the Pi emulate the SCSI drive only, and not the controller? It would be an ideal solution for my Mac Classic, though.

Also, the Pi might be able to give the Mac the much needed color display and ethernet.

Last edited:
Just in case useful here's a couple of piccies of my A2Pi install in my Apple IIe:

A2PiPorts.jpgA2PiInstalled.jpg

The left photo shows the new external ports. Excuse the scabby HDMI cable, and there's a little more work to do to neaten up the RJ45 cut-out. The right photo shows my A2Pi plus Pi2 inserted in to slot 1. Again excuse the scabby HDMI cable; prior to getting a proper 90deg adaptor I was experimenting with removing the sleeve from the plug, then heating and bending it to fit under the lid... this doses work! Finally I did need to take a craft knife to the HDMI and Ethernet shrouds to allow room for a card in slot 2 with my set-up.

Thoughts:
I see RPi now have a full set of compute modules... Would there be any mileage in doing an A2Pi board that utilised one? On the plus side one could do a much neater custom install as all the external ports would be on a compute A2Pi carrier board, but on the minus side such a board would be much more expensive to implement.

Charlie, sorry to hijack the thread, but many people including me try to contact you to no avail, on the *. forum ... Could you connect and answer us ? Thanks.

No probs, thanks for the heads up, I'll wander over in a bit. :)

I have the same problem. I have sent PMs on stardot and on Amibay, but no response.
Also your forum is closed to register new members. So, We can't contact you at all.
I need username and password for your Qube server, because as anonymous can't download much.
Please, give me member's access at your server.

Hi, I need check this is correct / new in any way, but I emailed dave s about my pi zero w issues
and he thought I wasn't doing it completely wrong :). And I now see this; hopefully this is new and might now work for peeps

Apple II Pi Update

Here is release 2.2 of Apple II Pi based on the current Raspbian Jessie image. If you have the Apple II Pi card you can bring your system up-to-date with the original vision of the Apple II Pi: a modern upgrade to the the Apple II that boots up as a decked out IIGS and transitions into a 32 bit GUI desktop.

If you don't have the Apple II Pi card, you can still enjoy the Apple II Pi experience with a Super Serial Card and USB<->Serial dongle for the Pi (and a slight update to the A2Pi configuration file on the Pi).

All full-size models of the Raspberry Pi are supported from the Pi 1 Model B, Pi 2 version 1.1, Pi 2 version 1.2, to the Pi 3. The Pi Model 0 should be compatible but hasn't been tested.

The SD card image can be downloaded here:
https://ultimateapple2.com/pi_images/a2pi-2.2-1.zip

The image can easily be written to an 8GB or larger SD card (self expanding) with the Etcher application following these instructions:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

An accompanying User Manual can be downloaded here:
https://ultimateapple2.com/forums/f...ev-4-5-newest-2017-card/604-quick-start-guide

Do you have questions about what the Apple II Pi is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moww3BpckR4&list=PLlPKgUMQbJ7_NYzv8teRtEAZZzydgqMWV

I would look forward to any comments or feedback from the installation and running of the new Apple II Pi.

Dave...

I know charlie you like efficient use of space but Ive had my card in and out so much a super tinsy card is a little tricky after a while;) .. but it works!

as an update I laboured for a bit with installing raspberry pi jessie (OK) but even though I had wifi, a2p, apple2user, fuse, gsport installed, and the daemon running i couldnt make it communicate reliably. the instructions are missing details. So ive given up on creating my own image, and the image above works great. It boots into gsport.

you might need a 16gb card as the image is a tad bigger than the 8gb cards I used.

ive now just got to

1 work out how to exit the gsport emulator closed apple/shift/0 wont work for me

2. edit the /boot/config to output the right size to composite.

3. now make the apple 2 use the pi for virtual drives, joystick etc.

charlie are you using your a2pi mapped drives as a folder full of disk images that you then adtpro into ram and reboot, or are you using the storage as a 'hard drive'? and if so did you just FTP them over, and to which location on the pi? usr/share?

are these only available to gsport or are they also available to the real apple 2 hardware?

cheers!

Last edited:
Excellent news!
In (partial) answer to your questions the main emulator is GSport, which will work either full screen on direct boot or in a window under the Linux desktop. There's a bit of a 'gotcha' in that each mode uses it's own separate config so you have to set it up twice.
LinApple seems to do a decent job on the AppleII front but I've not used it much.

GSport can access real peripherals such as floppy drives and joysticks but the former needs a virtual floppy drive file selecting in the emulator's settings.

In the other direction the Apple II can access the Pi's resources (you may have noticed something like 'virtual drives mounted' at the top of the screen when the boot floppy kicks in). Some of the features are dependant on separate boot floppies.... there are three sets of communication software in Raspapple that I admit I've barely begun to investigate... I've mostly been using the Apple2Pi functionality.

I'll try to come up with specifics when memory allows.... My Apple IIe motherboard is on it's way to Bas for fixing as I killed it debugging my Mockingboard clone so I currently without a machine to play with.

hi

on the apple, it boots off the floppy, then sits there as it sends all apple 2 keyboard inputs to the pi. not worked out how to exit gsport yet.
Yes the disk mentions the virtual drives on exit but as the program is no longer running thats not much help:)

then yes I'd be great to access the virtual drives, better if no atdpro or boot disk involved.

for now I assume its just boot the apple from a vsdisk or adtpro floppy instead.. is that how you're acccessing the virtual drive ie http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/vdrive.html

edit: not in the docs, but elswhere i read this: is this true? "Once a connection has been established between the Apple II and Linux, the Apple II client can exit back to ProDOS and still have the addition virtual PiDrives available for reading & writing. The virtual drive images can be changed from Linux."

?

So all i need do now is work out how to exit gsport?

Last edited:
one step forward.. if anyone can tell me whats wrong with this picture ( right with this picture) you get a gold star :)

FullSizeRender.jpg

I forgot about those logo's! They are fake drives yes with bits of printed paper blu tacked on. Gold star awarded.

but nope something more significant and to this thread and an apple iie

Oo,oo, is it GSOS running on an Apple IIe..?

Very nice, and authentic looking, set up you have there old chap. :cool:
(My IIe is using a LCD TV for a monitor)

You were bound to win that weren't you Charlie :) gold star etc:) iie running gs/os or at least hosting the pi that's emulating a gs:) composite out works nicely at 640x480 to the pvm, I need adjust the overscan. I can switch between the pi and the iie easily.

I've had slightly better results with the vs floppy, so the pi is providing virtual drives with Atdpro listing them. next trick to get the wifi working. It's being a g*t.

Sorry to rob the thread but I thought it might interest some of the people following this thread.

Technobytes has a preorder open for Classic IDE for Apple II: http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/classic-ide-for-apple-ii.html

It is due to release in October and it's significantly cheaper than the CFFA3000. I placed a preorder for one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom