zip100 drive, pc - amiga - pc

rs2klee

Country
U.K
Region
London
hi anyone with a blizzard scsi board on either 030-060 using a zip100 scsi drive to read on both pc and amiga ?
or the best way to get them both to be read on both machines.. the cf card works fine, would like to use the zip drive on both aswell :)
thanks for any info :)

A friend of mine use to have a SCSI ZIP hooked to his Amiga. It worked perfectly. Don't remember for sure what SCSI he have at that time, but he had a Blizzard 1260, that's for sure (it was mine after that :ninja:).

On the pc you have to hook an IDE ZIP or get a PCI SCSI controller plus the plucking expensive cable, as all PCI SCSI cards I have & see have that censored 68 high-density socket on the back.

Wow, blast from the past!

I gave up using my ATAPI Zip 100 after it chewed up about half a dozen disks. Iomega sent me a refurbished one and some free disks, but that one was still a bit iffy in use and I never trusted them again.

Of course that was more than ten years ago, are the disks not all going bad by now?

oh mine works ok on the amiga.. just want to read from each computer, write on the zip when its in the pc. then read on the amiga, so can transfer files from pc to amiga ect.

hi i use a ide zip100 on my mig and a Parallel zip100 on my pc and they are fine
The FAT95.lha package from Aminet has mountlists for PC formatted Zip disks

Edit the ZIP mount file to use it with FAT95 instead of the Amiga FS you are using and put another unit in the PC. I think the parallel units on the PC are OK with they.

On the pc you have to hook an IDE ZIP or get a PCI SCSI controller plus the plucking expensive cable, as all PCI SCSI cards I have & see have that censored 68 high-density socket on the back.
Well, looking around a bit I do see a few PCI SCSI controllers with DB-25 connectors, but they're definitely rarer, and I don't know if there's any special SCSI voodoo needed to get them working with older peripherals or not.

ok heres my icon.info

C:MOUNT
ACTIVE = 1
STARTUP = 1
DEVICE =1230scsi.device ( as its the intenal scsi on the blizzard) :)
UNIT = 5 ( scsi id of the zip100 drive)

mountfile as follows:

Filesystem = L:Fat95
flags = 0
Surfaces = 1
Sectorspertrack = 68
sectorsize = 512
reserved = 2
interleave = 0
buffers = 136
bufmemtype = 1
maxtransfer = 0x001fe000
Mask = 0xfffffffe
bootpri = -127
stacksize = 1024
Priority = 10
dostype = 0x444f5303
lowcyl = 2
highcyl = 2890
Mount = 1
Active = 1
Globvec = -1

sorry i made the mistake you wanted a cheap solution insted of scsi card and cable for pc

ok heres my icon.info
maxtransfer = 0x001fe000

All correct but this. Maxtransfer must be 0x001fe00.

Using an old PCI SCSI card is no brainer, but you need to check if it have built-in termination (software-activated or via a jumper) and activate the term jumper on the ZIP drive.

Back in the day, it was almost impossible to use a Parallel Zip on the Amiga. Scsi was the only way. I was lucky enough to find a Zip+ (Zip Plus), which had scsi ANd parallel ports

I remember it was so so difficult to have the correct info, but once done it, it was so lovely to transfer files from/between PC/Amiga.

If i find the harddrive with that relevant info, i will post it here i promise
Dont give up! It can be done! Im no way a genious with Amiga but i can tell you i had it for more than 5 years, of course, asking and asking and asking on the afb mailing list.

Regards
Sebastian

i allready have a Cheap ide zipdrive for the pc! i want to read the disks on the amiga`s scsi external zipdrive :)
It has nothing to do with SCSI or IDE - it`s the formatting of the Zip disks that matter.

I have an IDE Zip in my tower, with an IDE Zip in my PC. But the disks have to be formatted with FAT 32 (?) before both systems can read them.

BTW I gave up on my ZIPs when USB came out - you can store far more on a thumb drive! :whistle:

@Wurzel: yes, but only buying a >£100 hardware to use pen drives (aka Subway/Deneb).

here is my ide stuff for the zip drive
if formated the zip on the pc with fat32

also os3.9 has iomegatools in tools folder
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/Z100
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/Zip4mat
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/ZJTool12

icon file

C:Mount DEVICE=atapi.device *****this needs to be changed to your device******
ACTIVATE=1
UNIT=2 ***this needs to be changed to the unit number***
DONOTWAIT

mountlist

/* $VER: ZPC0 1.0 (17.2.97)
* ZIP file system entry
* This file enables CrossDOSFileSystem on a 100M ZIP cartridge.
*/

FileSystem = L:CrossDOSFileSystem
Flags = 1
Surfaces = 2
BlocksPerTrack = 64
Mask = 0x7ffffffe
MaxTransfer = 0x100000
Reserved = 1
Interleave = 0
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 1535
Buffers = 50
BufMemType = 0
StackSize = 2000
Priority = 10
GlobVec = -1
DosType = 0x4D534800

/* The Device and Unit fields are controlled by tooltypes in the ZPC0 icon.
* Device = scsi.device
* Unit = 5
*/

Last edited:
thanks for the info everyone, @johnim ;) thanks clears it up a bit more now, i just thought using the fat95 would just work but seems now to get both zipdrives to play together and dont fight :) using the crossdos would be the answer ;) will give this a go and let you know.. i have a ide zip100 in the pc and external scsi zip100 on the amiga, the idea im thinking would be quicker to trans files that i d/l from aminet ect. to load the zip disc in the amiga rather then the pcmcia just something different :)

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

i allready have a Cheap ide zipdrive for the pc! i want to read the disks on the amiga`s scsi external zipdrive :)
It has nothing to do with SCSI or IDE - it`s the formatting of the Zip disks that matter.

I have an IDE Zip in my tower, with an IDE Zip in my PC. But the disks have to be formatted with FAT 32 (?) before both systems can read them.

BTW I gave up on my ZIPs when USB came out - you can store far more on a thumb drive! :whistle:

nice but i dont have usb on my A1200 :) and im just getting all my old hardware back up and running after 15 odd years in the loft, and its all still working.. its the operator thats struggling lol

got it, killed my disk then found it again

install fat 95
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/Zip4mat
http://rapidshare.com/files/417285879/DOSDrivers.rar mount icon mount list
copy mountlist +icon to devs /dosdrivers and change icon types to your device and unit then reboot

use the format zip in first link

formatzip 1230scsi.device 5(unit no) to format zipdisk (make sure this is correct or will kill drives

i hope this works now for you too

ps if you use crossdos you get the 8.3 file problems
if you use the fat95 you dont
you can also format the disk in windows using fat only

Last edited:
Wanted to mount a Zip 100 PC format on my A3000 WB 2.0

Here is the mountlist that works great with CrossDOS v4

/* This is an example of a mount list entry for using an Iomega Zip Drive with a PC formatted disk.
*/

ZPC: FileSystem = L:CrossDOSFileSystem
Flags = 0
Surfaces = 1
BlocksPerTrack = 1
Mask = 0x7ffffffe
MaxTransfer = 0x100000
Reserved = 0
Interleave = 0
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 196607
Buffers = 256