Project of Megachip for Amiga

Tuxbar81

Country
France
Region
Midi-Pyrenees
Here is my new project. It is an Megachip for Amiga 500.
The special socket normally used to plug the Megachip into the motherboard AGNUS socket is always available.
But the idea here is to desolder the original socket of the motherboard, and solder the Megachip directly onto the motherboard.

Why?

1- To avoid bad contacts due to the bad quality of the old AGNUS socket.
2- To have the Megachip close to the motherboard and like that to allow the use of an accelerator board!

I have also designed a version for the A2000.

What do you think about this project?

Megachip-A500-2.jpg

Brilliant idea! (y) I got so fed up with GSODs on my A500 because of a Megachip that wouldn't always make good contact in the socket. I bought a PLCC to DIP adapter, desoldered the PLCC socket from the motherboard, soldered the adapter into the motherboard and then soldered the Megachip onto the adapter. Been GSOD free ever since. Fortunately my VXL-30 still fits with the Megachip tower!

I'd like to suggest that you make different versions of the board for the different versions of 2MB Agnus out there.

Here is my new project. It is an Megachip for Amiga 500.
The special socket normally used to plug the Megachip into the motherboard AGNUS socket is always available.
But the idea here is to desolder the original socket of the motherboard, and solder the Megachip directly onto the motherboard.

Why?

1- To avoid bad contacts due to the bad quality of the old AGNUS socket.
2- To have the Megachip close to the motherboard and like that to allow the use of an accelerator board!

I have also designed a version for the A2000.

What do you think about this project?

View attachment 118360

We have our version of this project, but you will find male plcc socket almost impossible to find or with outragious prices.
if so is a go for a good idea.

As I want to make one for me, I'll make a small batch, and the other PCBs will be for sale I think as kit with components or assembled (except the 8375).

Last edited:
Final design of the A500 version. :)

IMG_3365.jpg

Made for the AGNUS 8375 series.
The pinout of the 8372 is different. I'll see to make eventually a version which will allow to accept 72 & 75 series.

Here is the very last version of the design.
I'll send the gerber files to the factory before sunday. :)

megachip-pcb.jpg

Actually, I don't know. I have to see the amount for the PCB production.
More PCB will be produced, lower will be the price.
For the first (development) production, I'll ask for a small batch of 10 PCBs.

Back
Top Bottom