Robhalfordfan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Aberdeen
hi all

I was wondering if getting a 3d video card for my "vintage" pc rig would be worth it

specs:

ATC-1000+ Intel 430vx Motherboard
Pentium 133mhz
32 MB Ram (EDO Memory I think) (maybe upgrade ram but not sure about type)
Soundblaster 16 (isa)
S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI Graphics Card
Intel Pro 100 Network Card
30GB HDD
CD-ROM Drive
3/25 Floppy Drive
3/5 Floppy Drive

Dual-booted:

DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11
Windows 95

Last edited:
Voodoo 1 would be a natural candidate for Pentium 1 system. But it depends on what games do you want to play. Also great would be Voodoo 2 or Nvidia TNT/TNT2 all PCI based. There are no 3D cards on ISA bus.

You can always upgrade the CPU on your system to Pentium 233 MMX or some AMD K6 even.

ok kl

is the card where a passthrough cable is used on the 2d card

what the different between voodoo 1 and 2

where would be able to find one

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed when play quake 1 and using a higher res setting - the game slowed down a bit

and also when playing gta 1 and using high graphic setting - I get no picture but get sound

Voodoo 1 and 2 are 3D addon cards. You need a passthrough cable to connect it to your 2D card. V2 is newer, faster and enables higher resolutions.

I can offer you Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 and passthrough cable.

ok and that would work on this rig and on my s3 card

and which would be better without having upgrade (as wanting to keep this rig as it is cause I have others for different eras)

Last edited:
Voodoos don't need drivers for DOS (games that work with voodoo support it directly) win3x can't use it (no games AFAIK so no drivers) and win98 drivers are really easy to find.
Really, voodoos are well documented and software easy to get, you won't have issues in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom